Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fat Max Tape

Bought a 5M one of these tother day at Homebase. Bloody wonderful!

They claim it will extend to 11' without 'buckling' and it does more than
that. Nice wide blade with big easy to see markings. First 12" has smaller
increments for more accurate measuring. Best measuring tape I've ever had.

On the shelf at £9:99 but came up on the till at £14:99. They did it at
£9:99 which is a real bargain. If you want one get into Homebase before
they realise their mistake.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-06 23:54:35 +0100, Horse With No Name said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Bought a 5M one of these tother day at Homebase. Bloody wonderful!

They claim it will extend to 11' without 'buckling' and it does more
than that. Nice wide blade with big easy to see markings. First 12"
has smaller increments for more accurate measuring. Best measuring
tape I've ever had.

On the shelf at £9:99 but came up on the till at £14:99. They did it
at £9:99 which is a real bargain. If you want one get into Homebase
before they realise their mistake.

What does it do?

It helps you to measure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Horse With No Name wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Bought a 5M one of these tother day at Homebase. Bloody wonderful!

They claim it will extend to 11' without 'buckling' and it does more
than that. Nice wide blade with big easy to see markings. First
12" has smaller increments for more accurate measuring. Best
measuring tape I've ever had. On the shelf at £9:99 but came up on the
till at £14:99. They did
it at £9:99 which is a real bargain. If you want one get into
Homebase before they realise their mistake.

What does it do?

Measures without the tape buckling & falling down - a PITA with longer
distances.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Horse With No Name wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Bought a 5M one of these tother day at Homebase. Bloody wonderful!

They claim it will extend to 11' without 'buckling' and it does more
than that. Nice wide blade with big easy to see markings. First
12" has smaller increments for more accurate measuring. Best
measuring tape I've ever had. On the shelf at £9:99 but came up on the
till at £14:99. They did
it at £9:99 which is a real bargain. If you want one get into
Homebase before they realise their mistake.

What does it do?

Measures without the tape buckling & falling down - a PITA with longer
distances.

Thanks, but surely a 5m tape should measure (in excess of) 15 feet and
not 11 feet?]

So, it's an expensive tape measure?

Danz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Horse With No Name wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Horse With No Name wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Bought a 5M one of these tother day at Homebase. Bloody wonderful!

They claim it will extend to 11' without 'buckling' and it does
more than that. Nice wide blade with big easy to see markings. First
12" has smaller increments for more accurate measuring. Best
measuring tape I've ever had. On the shelf at £9:99 but came up on
the till at £14:99. They did
it at £9:99 which is a real bargain. If you want one get into
Homebase before they realise their mistake.

What does it do?

Measures without the tape buckling & falling down - a PITA with
longer distances.

Thanks, but surely a 5m tape should measure (in excess of) 15 feet and
not 11 feet?]

All the 5m/16' tapes I've used will buckle after about 6' so can only be
used accurately on a flat surface. The Fat Max will extend to over 11'
without this buckle.

If you hook the tape over the start point then move away - no problem. If
you have to extend the tape a distance to hook the end over the start point,
the 'buckling' effect is a PITA. Especially with decking etc.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Bought a 5M one of these tother day at Homebase. Bloody wonderful!

Axminster do a similar sized own brand one that is marked on both sides,
and the metal end bit has a lip on both sides as well. So it is very
good for marking out since you can flip it over and draw a line down
against it.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a... ile=1&jump=0

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-07 00:14:52 +0100, Horse With No Name said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Horse With No Name wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Bought a 5M one of these tother day at Homebase. Bloody wonderful!

They claim it will extend to 11' without 'buckling' and it does more
than that. Nice wide blade with big easy to see markings. First
12" has smaller increments for more accurate measuring. Best
measuring tape I've ever had. On the shelf at £9:99 but came up on the
till at £14:99. They did
it at £9:99 which is a real bargain. If you want one get into
Homebase before they realise their mistake.

What does it do?

Measures without the tape buckling & falling down - a PITA with longer
distances.

Thanks, but surely a 5m tape should measure (in excess of) 15 feet and
not 11 feet?]

... and so it will, although it's better to stick to one system of units
and dump the use of feet.

For some measuring operations such as from the top of a room to a point
on the wall, it's helpful if the tape supports itself.

They never support their full length and so 3.5m or so out of 5m is pretty good

So, it's an expensive tape measure?

Actually it's pretty inexpensive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Bought a 5M one of these tother day at Homebase. Bloody wonderful!

Axminster do a similar sized own brand one that is marked on both
sides, and the metal end bit has a lip on both sides as well. So it
is very good for marking out since you can flip it over and draw a
line down against it.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a... ile=1&jump=0

Fat Max is about 32mm wide, rather tahn 25mm. Axminster one looks good as
well.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Horse With No Name
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Horse With No Name wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Bought a 5M one of these tother day at Homebase. Bloody wonderful!

They claim it will extend to 11' without 'buckling' and it does more
than that. Nice wide blade with big easy to see markings. First
12" has smaller increments for more accurate measuring. Best
measuring tape I've ever had. On the shelf at £9:99 but came up on
the till at £14:99. They did
it at £9:99 which is a real bargain. If you want one get into
Homebase before they realise their mistake.

What does it do?

Measures without the tape buckling & falling down - a PITA with
longer distances.

Thanks, but surely a 5m tape should measure (in excess of) 15 feet and
not 11 feet?]

So, it's an expensive tape measure?

FFS

Have you not seen the adverts, hard to miss

No kinking, no bending, and will impail a knight at 11 feet in a joust

caress it properly and it will prolly extend even further in an erect
manner

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 May 2007 23:40:48 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

|!Bought a 5M one of these tother day at Homebase. Bloody wonderful!
|!
|!They claim it will extend to 11' without 'buckling' and it does more than
|!that. Nice wide blade with big easy to see markings. First 12" has smaller
|!increments for more accurate measuring. Best measuring tape I've ever had.
|!
|!On the shelf at ?9:99 but came up on the till at ?14:99. They did it at
|!?9:99 which is a real bargain. If you want one get into Homebase before
|!they realise their mistake.

I use the Lidl 10 m tape, IIRC GBP3.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bought a 5M one of these tother day at Homebase.

There are two. The older one (like mine) has a sliding block lock on the
front. It's an excellent tape, especially for timber-framing work where
the huge horizontal stick-out is useful.

The later model (released five minutes after I bought the old one) is
even better. The lock is a rocking lever in the base of the case. It
doesn't pop loose when you push on the tape.

Worth every bit of the twenty quid or so,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Horse With No Name wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

No need to talk dirty to me!
No, I haven't seen the adverts.

Danz
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

Worth every bit of the twenty quid or so..

FFS!

£20 for a bloody tape measure? Get orf and do some work and stop
wasting our time with this bloody spam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2007 17:47, Weatherlawyer wrote:

£20 for a bloody tape measure? Get orf and do some work and stop
wasting our time with this bloody spam.

If you want a pointless tool, try this
http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/g...ge_id=35737646

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 07/05/2007 17:47, Weatherlawyer wrote:

£20 for a bloody tape measure? Get orf and do some work and stop
wasting our time with this bloody spam.

If you want a pointless tool, try this
http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/g...ge_id=35737646

Wow!
On the 'Applications' page, the images are amazing.

Picture #1 shows it attaching a table leg.
However, looking at the picture, the thing is so fat, it is not possible to
turn the nut by more than a few degrees, certainly not by a whole flat. In
otherwords, it's totally useless in the example photo.

Picture #2, the tap fitting.
Wow. almost a perfect example of inappropriate tool useage. Totally unable
to exert any reasonable torque, and even if you did it would slip.

Pictures 3+4, well, OK ish.

Picture #5, the rusty nut.
That is 2 seconds before the bloody knuckle incident.
That thing will slip long before shifting that nut.
Best thing there is inappropriate use of an under-size socket, belted on
with a large hammer :-)

Pic #6 :
Well, it can mange a little drain plug on a new generator! Wow.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 May 2007 20:57:08 +0100, Andy Burns
mused:

On 07/05/2007 17:47, Weatherlawyer wrote:

£20 for a bloody tape measure? Get orf and do some work and stop
wasting our time with this bloody spam.

If you want a pointless tool, try this
http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/g...ge_id=35737646

Don't know which is more pointless, all the Flash or the wrench, which
even with all the pointless flash, doesn't really explain what the
hell it does over a normal one.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 May 2007 20:57:08 +0100, Andy Burns
mused:

On 07/05/2007 17:47, Weatherlawyer wrote:

£20 for a bloody tape measure? Get orf and do some work and stop
wasting our time with this bloody spam.

If you want a pointless tool, try this
http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/g...ge_id=35737646

Don't know which is more pointless, all the Flash or the wrench, which
even with all the pointless flash, doesn't really explain what the
hell it does over a normal one.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Well, the 'specs' says it has a battery life, so presumably it has a
battery.
What for is not explained.

I'm guessing that it has a wi-fi connection to the internet, to look up the
AF dimensions of various bolts. Perhaps you can log into it's config
web-page and set such parameters as Knuckle Bleed Torque Threshold and Nut
Rounding Torque.

--
R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 May 2007 21:44:22 +0100, "Ron Lowe"
ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS mused:

"Lurch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

ROFL. Even after saying that, I still have this strange feeling that I
need one!
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 May 2007 20:57:08 +0100, Andy Burns
mused:

On 07/05/2007 17:47, Weatherlawyer wrote:

£20 for a bloody tape measure? Get orf and do some work and stop
wasting our time with this bloody spam.

If you want a pointless tool, try this
http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/g...ge_id=35737646

Don't know which is more pointless, all the Flash or the wrench, which
even with all the pointless flash, doesn't really explain what the
hell it does over a normal one.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

I hope I don't get one for my birthday.

I quite like my local "Pound Shop". If I buy a tool and it does the job -
then fine. If I like it but feel it isn't good enough then I buy a decent
version.

I have 3 tape measures form the Pound Shop - one in the car, one at home in
the kitchen drawer and one at my daughter's where I do most of my DIY.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 May 2007 20:47:13 GMT, "John"
mused:

"Lurch" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 07 May 2007 20:57:08 +0100, Andy Burns
mused:

On 07/05/2007 17:47, Weatherlawyer wrote:

£20 for a bloody tape measure? Get orf and do some work and stop
wasting our time with this bloody spam.

If you want a pointless tool, try this
http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/g...ge_id=35737646

Don't know which is more pointless, all the Flash or the wrench, which
even with all the pointless flash, doesn't really explain what the
hell it does over a normal one.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

I hope I don't get one for my birthday.

I quite like my local "Pound Shop". If I buy a tool and it does the job -
then fine. If I like it but feel it isn't good enough then I buy a decent
version.

That's what I tend to do on things that I think I might not use.
Socket sets are a common thing for that, buy a cheap one and then just
buy a couple of decent ratchets and the commonly used size bits. And
Spanners, that's something else I do that with, but everything else I
end up spending a fortune on eventually one way or another.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Bought a 5M one of these tother day at Homebase. Bloody wonderful!

They claim it will extend to 11' without 'buckling' and it does more than
that. Nice wide blade with big easy to see markings. First 12" has

smaller
increments for more accurate measuring. Best measuring tape I've ever

had.

On the shelf at £9:99 but came up on the till at £14:99. They did it at
£9:99 which is a real bargain. If you want one get into Homebase before
they realise their mistake.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Only when the wind isn't blowing. It'll kink then. The one I've got is a 8m
same spec as the 5m, from B&Q about three years ago. Find it ideal for
measuring the length of rafters on pitched roof slopes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
Bought a 5M one of these tother day at Homebase. Bloody wonderful!

They claim it will extend to 11' without 'buckling' and it does more than
that. Nice wide blade with big easy to see markings. First 12" has smaller
increments for more accurate measuring. Best measuring tape I've ever had.

On the shelf at £9:99 but came up on the till at £14:99. They did it at
£9:99 which is a real bargain. If you want one get into Homebase before
they realise their mistake.

I was in Focus today (spit! - absolutely dreadful shops, makes Homebase
look wonderful)

THey had them in their at 9.99 as well, since you've all raved so much I
bought one
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-10 21:02:18 +0100, chris French
said:

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Bought a 5M one of these tother day at Homebase. Bloody wonderful!

They claim it will extend to 11' without 'buckling' and it does more than
that. Nice wide blade with big easy to see markings. First 12" has smaller
increments for more accurate measuring. Best measuring tape I've ever had.

On the shelf at £9:99 but came up on the till at £14:99. They did it at
£9:99 which is a real bargain. If you want one get into Homebase before
they realise their mistake.

I was in Focus today (spit! - absolutely dreadful shops, makes Homebase
look wonderful)

THey had them in their at 9.99 as well, since you've all raved so much
I bought one

It's the only shop I can think of that sells hamsters and Duck tape though....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 6 May, 23:40, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Bought a 5M one of these tother day at Homebase. Bloody wonderful!

They claim it will extend to 11' without 'buckling' and it does more than
that. Nice wide blade with big easy to see markings. First 12" has smaller
increments for more accurate measuring. Best measuring tape I've ever had.

On the shelf at £9:99 but came up on the till at £14:99. They did it at
£9:99 which is a real bargain. If you want one get into Homebase before
they realise their mistake.

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

I have the 8m version - which is great for roof framing. I have had
many long tapes and this is the best one ever. I've given my other 8
and 10m tapes away.

Despite this, I am still not impressed by the quality. Some numerals
are faint and printing is not sharp. Also the yellow coating on the
tape is variable and seems like it is wearing or will wear quicker in
places. But it retracts smoothly though.

I was a "cheap tape" person on the basis that I lose/break/have stolen
tapes quicker than I wear them out, but cheap tapes just don't
compare. And I will look after this one

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-10 21:02:18 +0100, chris French
said:

I was in Focus today (spit! - absolutely dreadful shops, makes
Homebase look wonderful)

THey had them in their at 9.99 as well, since you've all raved so
much I bought one

It's the only shop I can think of that sells hamsters and Duck tape
though....

I've never liked Focus. They now sponsor DIY SOS with a range of totally
crap adverts and I wouldn't go there if you paid me.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-10 21:02:18 +0100, chris French
said:

I was in Focus today (spit! - absolutely dreadful shops, makes
Homebase look wonderful)

THey had them in their at 9.99 as well, since you've all raved so
much I bought one

It's the only shop I can think of that sells hamsters and Duck tape
though....

I've never liked Focus. They now sponsor DIY SOS with a range of totally
crap adverts and I wouldn't go there if you paid me.

Oh I hate the place, but I was at Tesco's, they are next door, and I
just needed one item, which even they managed to actually have
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 10, 11:02 pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

I've never liked Focus. They now sponsor DIY SOS with a range of totally
crap adverts and I wouldn't go there if you paid me.

DIY SOS is a BBC programme...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've never liked Focus. They now sponsor DIY SOS with a range of
totally crap adverts and I wouldn't go there if you paid me.

DIY SOS is a BBC programme...

It's shown all the time on cable TV and Focus sponsor that I can assure you.
The ads are so bad I want to throw something at the TV.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman