Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

Default Worktop Support

Another question for you all

Here is a poor picture of one of our worktops. Just where it starts to go
dark is empty space underneath. It is about 85cm to the floor.

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/1772/image010gk8.jpg

Before I laid my vinyl in the kitchken, underneath was the diswahser and
near the middle was a piece of wood that was about 1cm wide supporting it in
place (the worktop is actually screwed on to the wall and can support its
own weight. Currently the only thing holding it up is the screws screwed
into the wall and sealant stuff - i took the support off to put vinyl in

This is a rough drawing of what it looked like before - Worktop at top.
Dishwasher on left and the support is a piece of wood next to it that is
attached to the wall and the underside of the worktop.

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/8529/94358945au9.jpg

Now as I put vinyl on - the wood is slightly too tall to go back
udnerneath - I can either get it down to size...or I can try to be clever
and try something else.

What I wnat to do now is, instead of having a piece of wood, I want a nice
metal bar holding it up (this is so i can get access easier to what is on
the RIGHT hand side of where the wood was (the water supply mains tap)

So my plan was to buy a piece of metal tubing (note, if need to be i can put
on 2 tubes - one at front and one at back - but i can NOT put one to the
left of the dishwaser as it needs to be empty there for reasons i won't go
into.)

So I went to B&Q and bought what turns out to be a piece of railing tube
(annoyingly they have a chunky breakfast bar leg but it is slightly too long
to fit underneath our worktop).

I also bought some of these.

So my plan is - cut the tube to size, - stick it through one of those -
connect that circle end thing to the underside of the work top and then
have the tube basically holding up the work top.

Couple of issues.

1) Is there anything I can put on the other end of the tube - on the floor
end? I need somethign flat and smooth so I can slide it in and also so its
not digging into the floor - esseianlly I need something like in the picture
above but has no hole in it and will nicely sit on the floor and act like a
shoe to the tube. Even better woudl be to have them on either side so the
tube it just being else in place by them

2) What is the best way to ensure I have the currect length cut tubing and
to get it under the worktop? obviously it will have to be exatly length and
there will be a lot of resistance in trying to get it in as I will have to
squeeze it in.

Hope that all makes sense!!

yet another worktop Q Vass UK diy 8 March 11th 07 11:41 AM
Kitchen Worktop alexbartman UK diy 2 August 31st 05 12:15 AM
Cutting worktop (again) Bob Eager UK diy 24 July 30th 05 01:05 PM
How to support a kitchen worktop against a tall panel? Dave UK diy 6 July 11th 05 06:14 PM
Worktop Joint John UK diy 12 October 1st 04 09:18 AM