Dave

Default How to support a kitchen worktop against a tall panel?

We've got a 2.5m run of worktop that runs between a wall and a tall oven
housing, beneath the end of the worktop that's closest to the tall
cupboard there's a slide-under dishwasher. What's the normal way of
supporting the end of the worktop where it butts against the oven housing?

Dave
Christian McArdle

We've got a 2.5m run of worktop that runs between a wall and a tall oven
housing, beneath the end of the worktop that's closest to the tall
cupboard there's a slide-under dishwasher. What's the normal way of
supporting the end of the worktop where it butts against the oven housing?

Metal angle (either straight section, or individual brackets). Route out the
thickness of the metal into the surface if you want it really flush and
entirely invisible, although this is rarely necessary, as the dishwasher
should hide it without bumping into it.

Christian.

BigWallop

"Dave" wrote in message
We've got a 2.5m run of worktop that runs between a wall and a tall oven
housing, beneath the end of the worktop that's closest to the tall
cupboard there's a slide-under dishwasher. What's the normal way of
supporting the end of the worktop where it butts against the oven housing?

Dave

Plastic Jointing blocks which screw half to the vertical panel and half to
the underside of the worktop. If space is of concern, then you can use
small metal brackets to hold it all together.

Lobster

BigWallop wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

We've got a 2.5m run of worktop that runs between a wall and a tall oven
housing, beneath the end of the worktop that's closest to the tall
cupboard there's a slide-under dishwasher. What's the normal way of
supporting the end of the worktop where it butts against the oven housing?

Plastic Jointing blocks which screw half to the vertical panel and half to
the underside of the worktop. If space is of concern, then you can use
small metal brackets to hold it all together.

No way, that won't take the weight of a worktop! Christian's method is
a good one, alternatively where it's all concealed by a dishwasher or
whatever, I've done it by making a swift inverted "U" out of 2"x1"
timber - the worktop rests on the horizontal member and the two
verticals are legs which transfer the weight to the floor, rather than
the oven housing (the inverted U [an "n" I suppose?!] is screwed to the
side of the oven housing

David

PC Paul

"Lobster" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

We've got a 2.5m run of worktop that runs between a wall and a tall oven
housing, beneath the end of the worktop that's closest to the tall
cupboard there's a slide-under dishwasher. What's the normal way of
supporting the end of the worktop where it butts against the oven
housing?

Plastic Jointing blocks which screw half to the vertical panel and half
the underside of the worktop. If space is of concern, then you can use
small metal brackets to hold it all together.

No way, that won't take the weight of a worktop! snip

They don't have to take the weight - almost always there are cupboards along
the run taking most of the weight, you only need the end fixed to stop it
being 'boingy'. A bit of metal angle works just as well if there is no room
for the blocks.

As for making 2"x1" legs - why not just put a piece of same-coloured
chipboard alongside the oven unit and use that to support the end of the
top? stronger than 2x1 and much less noticeable.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Dave wrote:
We've got a 2.5m run of worktop that runs between a wall and a tall oven
housing, beneath the end of the worktop that's closest to the tall
cupboard there's a slide-under dishwasher. What's the normal way of
supporting the end of the worktop where it butts against the oven
housing?

I'd get some steel angle brackets - B&Q sell them - of less than the
height of the worktop. Two or three about a couple of inches long should
be fine. Route them flush into the the worktop on both end and underside
faces. The result should be invisible unless you go looking for it.

--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave

Christian McArdle wrote:
We've got a 2.5m run of worktop that runs between a wall and a tall oven
housing, beneath the end of the worktop that's closest to the tall
cupboard there's a slide-under dishwasher. What's the normal way of
supporting the end of the worktop where it butts against the oven housing?

Metal angle (either straight section, or individual brackets). Route out the
thickness of the metal into the surface if you want it really flush and
entirely invisible, although this is rarely necessary, as the dishwasher
should hide it without bumping into it.

Christian.

Thanks Christian, a very sensible idea. I was thinking of using a low
panel fixed to the side of the housing but this saves me 16mm which is
going to be useful.

Dave