Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dishwasher Mains Capacitor......... *BANG*

Greetings -

Recently given a nearly-new Whirlpool dishwasher, surplus from a company's
relocation. Installed it today, cleaned it out and ran it a few times to
flush the pipes. Announced to adoring spouse that it's ready to use, and
start putting my tools away. Moments later, there's a gunshot *bang*
accompanied by familiar smell of "buggered electrics". Obviously someone
up there has a sense of humour.....

Anyhow, tipped it over and immediately found the problem was a little grey
device filtering the incoming mains, the casing had been blown open
releasing a bit of black, oily muck. Photo at http://tinyurl.com/34y8gc

This device looks pretty similar to the replacement four-teminal capacitors
pictured on http://tinyurl.com/2s96vw , and I'm assuming that's what it is.
However, it's mounted on a steel backplate with an earth connection into the
capacitor.

Two questions for the experts please :

- Does this failure signify another fault somewhere in the dishwasher's
circuits? I don't think it's meant to act as a safety cut-out, and I'm
assuming it just chose to fail because of Sod's Law, but please correct me
if I'm wrong.

- How do I spec an equivalent unit? Is it important to be very close to
the original, or will any similar appliance capacitor serve the same purpose
(suppresion of RFI / EMI?). The case is marked with following :

D.E.M
F3CF75005L
0.15uF (X1) + 1M?
+2x0.027uF (Y2)
250V 50/60Hz _ 16A/40?C

- Where would be the best place to obtain a replacement, preferably placing
a web order today?

Thanks in advance!
Steve

Capacitor Start, Capacitor Run Motor Robowang Electronics Repair 13 October 18th 06 08:11 PM
Cillit Bang The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 17 January 30th 06 06:08 PM
Mains interference capacitor? Autolycus UK diy 28 December 28th 05 12:36 PM
Cillit Bang s--p--o--n--i--x UK diy 16 July 27th 05 10:34 AM
Dishwasher trips mains fuse spiritualized UK diy 4 May 10th 05 01:01 AM