john

Default Internal room ventilation

I am creating a new utility room in my basement which uses three existing
walls and will add a new stud partition (with door) to create the fourth
wall. The room is internal to the house & doesn`t have any outside walls or
windows.
Do I need to have a permanent means of ventilation to the room (i.e
extractor fan) & would it need to be on all the time?
I only intend to have a washing machine & sink in the room if that helps.

John

Mike Taylor

current building regulations state that a utility room must have mechanical
means of ventilation, A window is not suitable so a fan must be used

The Natural Philosopher

john wrote:

I am creating a new utility room in my basement which uses three existing
walls and will add a new stud partition (with door) to create the fourth
wall. The room is internal to the house & doesn`t have any outside walls or
windows.
Do I need to have a permanent means of ventilation to the room (i.e
extractor fan) & would it need to be on all the time?
I only intend to have a washing machine & sink in the room if that helps.

John

The regulations would suggest an extractor fan to the outside, and a
10mm gap under the door, or a ventilation panel in it.

AND a smoke alarm in the room and/or access to it.

The Natural Philosopher

PoP wrote:

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:07:25 +0100, "Mike Taylor"
wrote:

current building regulations state that a utility room must have mechanical
means of ventilation, A window is not suitable so a fan must be used

Am I reading this correctly?

Our house is 8 years old. We have a utility room off the kitchen, with
the door going out to the back garden (normally shut). The gas boiler
is in there with washing machine etc. No other ventilation.

Have the regs changed in recent years to require a mechanical means of
ventilation then?

Probably. However they are not retrospective.

PoP

Julian Fowler

wrote:

current building regulations state that a utility room must have mechanical
means of ventilation, A window is not suitable so a fan must be used

The point of which is .... ?

If we had to have a fan installed in our utilty room it would end up
like the "compulsory" fans in bathroom/shower room: present,
connected, and permanently switched off!

Julian

--
Julian Fowler

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

current building regulations state that a utility room must have mechanical
means of ventilation, A window is not suitable so a fan must be used

The point of which is .... ?

If we had to have a fan installed in our utilty room it would end up
like the "compulsory" fans in bathroom/shower room: present,
connected, and permanently switched off!

Or like the one in my downstairs loo, present, connected, and totally
essential

ESPECIALLY when the puppy decides its the nearest to a doggy loo he can
find.

Julian

Owain

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote
| Or like the one in my downstairs loo, present, connected, and
| totally essential
| ESPECIALLY when the puppy decides its the nearest to a doggy
| loo he can find.

Awwww.

Well it's better in the downstairs loo than on the best bedroom wilton.

OWain

Hugo Nebula

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:56:09 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named PoP
randomly hit the
keyboard and produced:

Our house is 8 years old. We have a utility room off the kitchen, with
the door going out to the back garden (normally shut). The gas boiler
is in there with washing machine etc. No other ventilation.

Have the regs changed in recent years to require a mechanical means of
ventilation then?

Yes, in 1995, so your house might have been constructed under the
previous requirements.
--
Hugo Nebula
"You know, I'd rather see this on TV,