Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Air admittance valve or exterior vent?

Air admit valve or exterior vent?

Hi, the regs say I can fit an air admittance valve on the end of my
soil stack vent. The soil pipe has an horizontal run inside the roof
space of a ground floor extension. This would save be making a hole in
the extension pitched roof for an exterior vent. This relieves
negative pressure but not positive, so are there any big disadvantages
to doing this?
Thank you

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nafuk wrote:

Air admit valve or exterior vent?

Hi, the regs say I can fit an air admittance valve on the end of my
soil stack vent. The soil pipe has an horizontal run inside the roof
space of a ground floor extension. This would save be making a hole in
the extension pitched roof for an exterior vent. This relieves
negative pressure but not positive, so are there any big disadvantages
to doing this?
Thank you

Provided it meets the regs - by being not more than the specified maximum
distance from the nearest fully vented stack - there's no problem. I've had
one in the roof-space of my extension for 12 years or so, and it's fine.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
nafuk wrote:

Air admit valve or exterior vent?

Hi, the regs say I can fit an air admittance valve on the end of my
soil stack vent. The soil pipe has an horizontal run inside the roof
space of a ground floor extension. This would save be making a hole in
the extension pitched roof for an exterior vent. This relieves
negative pressure but not positive, so are there any big disadvantages
to doing this?
Thank you

Provided it meets the regs - by being not more than the specified maximum
distance from the nearest fully vented stack - there's no problem. I've had
one in the roof-space of my extension for 12 years or so, and it's fine.

Alternatively, run the soil vent horizontally through a gable. Put a
slight reverse U bend in it to prevent condensate building up inside.