Jonathan@Home

Default Air Admittance Valve - advice

Hi Harv,

I've been looking at these devices as I will have to do something with all
the soil pipes and stacks when I extend my house. I'm not entirely sure but
I think the air admittance device might need to be above the level of any
traps. On a downstairs loo that connects to its own soil stack, not say the
main one form the upstairs bathroom and loo, I think it might only need to
be above the height of the downstairs loo's wash basin. I'd have to go an
re read the building regs from the website that holds them to be sure. Also
look at websites like Marley or Hunter Plastics, Hunter is a small company
and might be forthcoming if you email them and ask their advice.

Cheers

Jonathan

Harv

I've been looking at these devices as I will have to do something with all
the soil pipes and stacks when I extend my house. I'm not entirely sure

but
I think the air admittance device might need to be above the level of any
traps. On a downstairs loo that connects to its own soil stack, not say

the
main one form the upstairs bathroom and loo, I think it might only need to
be above the height of the downstairs loo's wash basin. I'd have to go an
re read the building regs from the website that holds them to be sure.

Also
look at websites like Marley or Hunter Plastics, Hunter is a small company
and might be forthcoming if you email them and ask their advice.

Jonathon,

I'm fairly sure the regs say that the valve should be above the level of the
trap for the handbasin.. but I was wondering if there was any reason why is
shouldn't be just slightly below the level of the basin trap - it would
certainly make life much easier.

This is all in theory of course...

Harv

BigWallop

"Harv" wrote in message
Hi all,

The Problem :-

I have a conservatory style plastic roof over a room on the side of the
house. The waste stack runs up the inside corner of this room, and out
through the current roof, where much flashband has been applied to stop it
leaking.

However the current roof is a very poor consruction, nearly flat and only
10mm thick. Oh, and it leaks too.

The plan is to replace the whole roof with a self supporting UPVC system
with 25mm thick multiwall glazing, increasing the slope of the roof at the
same time.

With the increased slope, it would be sensible to fit an air admittance
valve above where the toilet connects into the stack, but the valve would
actually be below the level of the trap in the hand basin. All of this

would
be inside the room, but the stack would not need to penetrate the new

roof.

Is this likely to cause any problems?
Presumably the valves do not allow any odour to escape?
Any experiences of doing something like this?

Thanks in advance!

Harv

Hi Harv,

If this stack is an outlet from a WC, then get ready for the smells Sir. A
soil stack should vent to air, if at all possible, as it vents rather
unpleasant gases and fumes into where ever the end of it is.

Would it be possible to take a couple of bends and take the pipework out
through a side wall of the room and then rise ? I don't fancy the idea of
it venting into anywhere I'd like to spend some relaxing time.

The air intake valve must be a minimum of 500mm above any appliance using
it, to prevent any damage from soiled water spillage due a block in the
pipework forming the drainage system, and must be given an access opening
for the purpose of clearing any blockage. So if you are thinking of an air
intake valve, then you'll have to fit it on top of a branch pipe with local
access eye to be able to clean through the pipework.

Hope this is of some use.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

IMM

"Harv" wrote in message
[...]

Don't use an air admittance valve. Put an inspection cap above the toilet
on the stack. I assume the basin is pied into this stack around where the
wc is connected to the stack. You only need to use a Hepworth HepVo trap
on the basin, nothing else.

See the web site:
http://www.hepworthplumbing.co.uk/hepv1.htm

---

Danny Monaghan

"BigWallop" wrote in
:

If this stack is an outlet from a WC, then get ready for the smells
Sir. A soil stack should vent to air, if at all possible, as it vents
rather unpleasant gases and fumes into where ever the end of it is.

Forgive me if I'm not following this, but isn't the whole idea of an air
admittance valve that it let's air in to stop syphoning from vacuum, but
doesn't let air, and therefore smell, out?

--
Danny Monaghan

To email me, put the LIGHT out!

IMM

"Danny Monaghan" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote in
:

If this stack is an outlet from a WC, then get ready for the smells
Sir. A soil stack should vent to air, if at all possible, as it vents
rather unpleasant gases and fumes into where ever the end of it is.

Forgive me if I'm not following this, but isn't the whole idea of an air
admittance valve that it let's air in to stop syphoning from vacuum, but
doesn't let air, and therefore smell, out?

Yes. But you get the occasional smell and thump as it drops onto its
seating. HepVo is the better bet here.

---

BillR

Harv wrote:
[...]

The valve should be above the overflow for the basin.
Is this likely to cause any problems?
Presumably the valves do not allow any odour to escape?

In theory, mine don't. They are least 1m above anything that can feed into
the stack

IMM

"BillR" wrote in message
Harv wrote:
[...]

If a 1 metre pipe above the wc is in the way use HepVO. They say, and it
does:

HepVO actively eliminates negative pressure within the waste system by
opening and allowing in fresh air until a state of equilibrium with
atmosphere is reached. This means that venting of the waste system, or the
inclusion of air admittance valves in the waste system is no longer
necessary.

---

Harv

"IMM" wrote in message

"Harv" wrote in message
[...]

IMM,

This looks a great idea which I'd never have thought of.

I've seen the hepvo traps at the plumbers merchants, but didn't realise they
could be used in this manner. Is this in breach of building regs at all?

Also, I hadn't mentioned, but my neighbours toilet/basin also feeds into the
same stack, presumably the one hepvo valve will be snough to deal with this?

The only problem I can ever see is if some smart alec ever moves in and
replaces the hepVO with a conventional trap, at which point, a trap from one
of the 2 baths, 2 basins and 2 toilets would get syphoned.

Many thanks,

Harv

Harv

"IMM" wrote in message

"Danny Monaghan" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote in
:

If this stack is an outlet from a WC, then get ready for the smells
Sir. A soil stack should vent to air, if at all possible, as it vents
rather unpleasant gases and fumes into where ever the end of it is.

Forgive me if I'm not following this, but isn't the whole idea of an air
admittance valve that it let's air in to stop syphoning from vacuum, but
doesn't let air, and therefore smell, out?

Yes. But you get the occasional smell and thump as it drops onto its
seating. HepVo is the better bet here.

I should have mentioned that the valve will be boxed in behind plasterboard.

Harv

"Harv" wrote in message

Don't use an air admittance valve. Put an inspection cap above the

toilet
on the stack. I assume the basin is pied into this stack around where

the
wc is connected to the stack. You only need to use a Hepworth HepVo

trap
on the basin, nothing else.

See the web site:
http://www.hepworthplumbing.co.uk/hepv1.htm

Just had another thought, what of the sink is full of water when the

toilet
is flushed, or the bath emptied, or next door does one of the above, won't
syphonage occur, and bad smells come up through the syphoned trap?

Replying to my own thread.... as I realised just after sending, that I guess
the valve could obtain the air through the overflow?

IMM

"Harv" wrote in message

Don't use an air admittance valve. Put an inspection cap above the

toilet
on the stack. I assume the basin is pied into this stack around where

the
wc is connected to the stack. You only need to use a Hepworth HepVo

trap
on the basin, nothing else.

See the web site:
http://www.hepworthplumbing.co.uk/hepv1.htm

Just had another thought, what of the sink is full of water when the

toilet
is flushed, or the bath emptied, or next door does one of the above, won't
syphonage occur, and bad smells come up through the syphoned trap?

It is always best to have two on the system, as the probability of both
basins being full is remote. If installing the air admittance valve is not
a problem, then fit both.

---

Harv

Not at all. Hepworth won an award about 5 years ago for the best
innovation.

Got hold of one last night - looks a very handy piece of kit, need to get
the elbow fitting to see if I can get it to fit to the existing wastes,
can't really make a new hole through the wall, as tiling would be ruined.

Also, I hadn't mentioned, but my neighbours toilet/basin also feeds into

the
same stack, presumably the one hepvo valve will be snough to deal with

this?

Your neighbours? get him to use his own stack. The one HepVo should be
fine, although if you can't get him to use his own stack, make him fit a
HepVo too.

The houses on the row all share the stacks at the rear of the house - 2
bathrooms (1 each) per stack. I was just unlucky in that my house was the
one with the stack, next door already has a conservatory, so requesting they
use their own stack is not really practical.

I can't really imagine him being keen to fit a hepvo at my request, he won't
be best pleased at the roof I'm putting on because he was responsible for
the carpentry (wood butchery) in the old one.

Will see how things work with just one.

The fool will know it when it happens. Any decent plumber would see it is

HepVo and investigate why it is there.

With HepVo all over the house no venting stack at all is required. Very
handy in many situations, and many eco homes use these, so as no to
penetrate the highly insulated outer skin of the building which causes a
large thermal bridge.

In place of an AAV?

IMM

"Harv" wrote in message

Not at all. Hepworth won an award about 5 years ago for the best
innovation.

Got hold of one last night - looks a very handy piece of kit, need to get
the elbow fitting to see if I can get it to fit to the existing wastes,
can't really make a new hole through the wall, as tiling would be ruined.

You can have a spigot from the basin through the wall and have the HepVo in
another "accessible" position. I have seen downstairs toilet have the HepVo
in the garage. easy to get at and if cleaning al the mess in the garage.

Will see how things work with just one.

Should be fine.

The fool will know it when it happens.
Any decent plumber would see it is
a HepVo and investigate why it is there.

With HepVo all over the house no venting stack at all is required. Very
handy in many situations, and many eco homes use these, so as no to
penetrate the highly insulated outer skin of the building which causes a
large thermal bridge.

In place of an AAV?

Yes.

---

Heating & hot water crisis - advice sought Trevor UK diy 4 July 16th 03 11:53 PM
Concrete slab advice John UK diy 12 July 11th 03 10:55 AM
Replacement basin mixer valve? Michael Snell UK diy 3 July 4th 03 03:04 PM
Mid Position Valve Nigel UK diy 2 July 4th 03 03:24 AM