Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Update on "ramp for me ma"

Greetings again,

I have built a ramp for me ma (not an ambulance, my Mother).

I used 1 metre square decking tiles and a couple of shorter ones, all
bolted together and supported on concrete tiles.

The joints on the tiles allow the end ones to bend to horizontal.

There is a step of 2-3" at the end of the ramp which I will attend to
during the week. I came across a ramp in the Argos Catalogue and will
see if that works.

My Ma is quite chuffed with it.

Francis
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:52:48 GMT, "Terry W."
wrote:

rote in :

Greetings again,

I have built a ramp for me ma (not an ambulance, my Mother).

I used 1 metre square decking tiles and a couple of shorter ones, all
bolted together and supported on concrete tiles.

The joints on the tiles allow the end ones to bend to horizontal.

There is a step of 2-3" at the end of the ramp which I will attend to
during the week. I came across a ramp in the Argos Catalogue and will
see if that works.

My Ma is quite chuffed with it.

Francis

Great stuff!

Give our best regards to your ma !

Terry W

Hi Terry,

Will do. The OT had to go back to Australia, her father was killed.

So, I've seen 3 different OTs who all have different suggestions.

My Ma has umpteen ailments and psychiatric conditions, so my plan is
to put in as many supports -people- so that she can stay at home as
long as possible.

Finding out what's going on with her is difficult. Just before
Christmas we discovered she had a septic finger for about a month
which she had been hiding from us. She was very lucky they were able
to treat it.

Francis.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Francis,

Excuse me if you have considered this; but it's worth mentioneing anyway.

A very important, and often overlooked safety aspect of a wheelchair ramp,
is raised edges. Only a couple of inches or so are necessary, in order that
the chair cannot accidentally be pushed, or manoeuvred over the side. This
accident can happen very much more easily than one might think.

Best wishes,

Keith

wrote in message
Greetings again,

I have built a ramp for me ma (not an ambulance, my Mother).

I used 1 metre square decking tiles and a couple of shorter ones, all
bolted together and supported on concrete tiles.

The joints on the tiles allow the end ones to bend to horizontal.

There is a step of 2-3" at the end of the ramp which I will attend to
during the week. I came across a ramp in the Argos Catalogue and will
see if that works.

My Ma is quite chuffed with it.

Francis

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:44:11 +0100, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:

Francis,

Excuse me if you have considered this; but it's worth mentioneing anyway.

A very important, and often overlooked safety aspect of a wheelchair ramp,
is raised edges. Only a couple of inches or so are necessary, in order that
the chair cannot accidentally be pushed, or manoeuvred over the side. This
accident can happen very much more easily than one might think.

Best wishes,

Keith

wrote in message
.. .
Greetings again,

I have built a ramp for me ma (not an ambulance, my Mother).

I used 1 metre square decking tiles and a couple of shorter ones, all
bolted together and supported on concrete tiles.

The joints on the tiles allow the end ones to bend to horizontal.

There is a step of 2-3" at the end of the ramp which I will attend to
during the week. I came across a ramp in the Argos Catalogue and will
see if that works.

My Ma is quite chuffed with it.

Francis

thanks keith,