Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom flooring questions

Hi,

I'm replacing my bathroom suite and will be stripping
out the existing 18mm chipboard (which is starting to
resemble weetabix)

The bathroom is 1800 x 3170 but it has a step to a raised
area half-way down which means it is really two separate
floors, one at 1800 x 1560 and the other at 1800 x 1610.

I plan to use Aqualoc laminated flooring on a WBP plywood
base. AFAIK, Aqualoc is 7mm thick.

I plan to floor the entire area, and then place bath, wc
etc on top of the flooring.

Question number 1: will 12mm ply be man enough for the task?
(it will be on huge 3" x 8" timber joists at 1ft centres).

If I can go with 12mm then that leaves the new floor at
the same level as the old (12 + 7 = 19, or 1mm higher
than the original, but 18 + 7 = 25mm, or 7mm higher
and this has implications for the door way etc)

Question number 2: I've seen recommendations to glue laminate
flooring when it is being prevented from floating due to being
"trapped" by WCs etc. Does the collective agree that is a good
idea? If so, what glue to use so the the aqualoc can be stripped
out sometime in the hopefully distant future without destroying
the ply?

Comments welcome.

--Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Smith wrote:
[...]

I reckon you will be fine with a good 12mm ply. I always use 19mm chip,
but frankly 12mm ply is probably as stiff.

Cant help you on the laminate tho. I would never use it in a bathroom,
but if its called aqualock I suppose its waterproof. Do seal any edges
though.

I've given up screwing loos and pedestals down. I just silicone them in
place these days, and fill the holes with silicone too. Adequately
strong, doesn't corrode up and doesn't put sharp edged high loads
through the china. AND I never could find long enough brass screws either..

Bathroom Flooring Fuoleum UK diy 2 April 26th 06 01:24 PM
Bathroom laminate flooring Michael Ray Home Repair 1 April 1st 05 02:03 PM
Bathroom flooring Q mutley UK diy 5 March 25th 04 01:21 PM
Laminate flooring in bathroom Trevor Smith UK diy 1 January 6th 04 03:58 PM
Bathroom Flooring Fishter UK diy 4 August 1st 03 04:06 PM