Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repainting asbestos cement garage wall

The paint on my garage is flaking and pealing and needs to be removed
before I re-paint the asbestos cement panels. Are there any particular
precautions I should take or methods of paint removal that I should
avoid (e.g. sanding, scraping, burning off or nitromorse) and any
particular paint I need to use when repainting? Any advice would be
appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Apr, 23:06, "yogi" wrote:
The paint on my garage is flaking and pealing and needs to be removed
before I re-paint the asbestos cement panels. Are there any particular
precautions I should take or methods of paint removal that I should
avoid (e.g. sanding, scraping, burning off or nitromorse) and any
particular paint I need to use when repainting? Any advice would be
appreciated. Thanks.

The problem with asbestos is the fibres and only arises when they are
able to get 'free' from material. On the whole this makes 'bonded
asbestos' (which is what you have) fairly safe PROVIDED you don't
break/drill/cut it etc.

Sanding and scraping would therefore both be bad ideas, sanding in
particular since it gives rise to airborne dust in large volume. At
least with burning you are unlikely to set anything on fire! however
this usually still requires scraping to get the paint off.

It would be better to try and consolidate the current paint and then
paint over it without removal. Maybe you could try painting on a
bonding coat of diluted PVA first.

If you really must get the paint off (again advice would be not to)
then scraping is better than sanding and you should hire/buy a good
quality face mask. You also have the problem of cleaning up the
scrapings which you should think about beforehand. It really is best
avoided, try the bonding route first.

Fash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Apr, 23:06, "yogi" wrote:

The paint on my garage is flaking and pealing and needs to be removed
before I re-paint the asbestos cement panels. Are there any particular
precautions I should take or methods of paint removal that I should
avoid (e.g. sanding, scraping, burning off or nitromorse) and any
particular paint I need to use when repainting? Any advice would be
appreciated. Thanks.

Avoid sanding or burning off. Generally theres no need to remove
anything that isnt sound, so a quick run over with a scraper is
usually enough.

Use what paint you want. Only if the asbestos is crumbling would you
need to pick a paint that will glue it back together.

PVA precoating is not recommended unless the surface is
disintegrating, as theres no need for it and it can make painting
problematic.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Apr 2007 15:06:00 -0700, "yogi"
wrote:

The paint on my garage is flaking and pealing and needs to be removed
before I re-paint the asbestos cement panels. Are there any particular
precautions I should take or methods of paint removal that I should
avoid (e.g. sanding, scraping, burning off or nitromorse) and any
particular paint I need to use when repainting? Any advice would be
appreciated. Thanks.

a pressure washer might take it off and should be fairly safe i'd
imagine?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Apr, 23:39, wrote:
wrote:

The paint on my garage is flaking and pealing and needs to be removed
before I re-paint the asbestos cement panels. Are there any particular
precautions I should take or methods of paint removal that I should
avoid (e.g. sanding, scraping, burning off or nitromorse) and any
particular paint I need to use when repainting? Any advice would be
appreciated. Thanks.

a pressure washer might take it off and should be fairly safe i'd
imagine?

And what happens to the released fibres when they dry out afterwards and
blow about?

what released fibres?

NT