Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repainting asbestos cement garage wall

On 16 Apr, 23:06, "yogi" wrote:

The paint on my garage is flaking and pealing and needs to be removed
before I re-paint the asbestos cement panels. Are there any particular
precautions I should take or methods of paint removal that I should
avoid (e.g. sanding, scraping, burning off or nitromorse) and any
particular paint I need to use when repainting? Any advice would be
appreciated. Thanks.

Avoid sanding or burning off. Generally theres no need to remove
anything that isnt sound, so a quick run over with a scraper is
usually enough.

Use what paint you want. Only if the asbestos is crumbling would you
need to pick a paint that will glue it back together.

PVA precoating is not recommended unless the surface is
disintegrating, as theres no need for it and it can make painting
problematic.

NT