Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Purge my pipe.

Hi, I need to move my gas cooker 6 feet. The gas is fed via a 22mm pipe with
a 13 mm pipe tee'd up to the cooker, the 22mil then continues on to the
boiler - all in a straight line. I want to connect a length of 13mm pipe to
the existing piece and route it to the new cooker position.
As (i understand it) gas joints must be soldered, so I will need to remove
the gas that is already in the pipe. Is there an easy way to do this?
or is there another way to extend the 13mm pipe?
Thanks very.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Innumerical wrote:
Hi, I need to move my gas cooker 6 feet. The gas is fed via a 22mm pipe with
a 13 mm pipe tee'd up to the cooker, the 22mil then continues on to the
boiler - all in a straight line. I want to connect a length of 13mm pipe to
the existing piece and route it to the new cooker position.
As (i understand it) gas joints must be soldered, so I will need to remove
the gas that is already in the pipe. Is there an easy way to do this?
or is there another way to extend the 13mm pipe?

As you're probably aware you're only allowed to mess with gas
installations if you are "competent" to do so. The fact that you're
asking this question suggests that maybe you aren't?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Innumerical wrote:
Hi, I need to move my gas cooker 6 feet. The gas is fed via a 22mm pipe
with a 13 mm pipe tee'd up to the cooker, the 22mil then continues on to
the boiler - all in a straight line. I want to connect a length of 13mm
pipe to the existing piece and route it to the new cooker position.
As (i understand it) gas joints must be soldered, so I will need to
remove the gas that is already in the pipe. Is there an easy way to do
this?
or is there another way to extend the 13mm pipe?

As you're probably aware you're only allowed to mess with gas
installations if you are "competent" to do so. The fact that you're
asking this question suggests that maybe you aren't?

David

David, I'm asking for information on how to purge the pipe of gas, and if
someone can tell me how it's done - then I am more than competent to carry
out the task.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Innumerical" wrote in message
. uk...

"Lobster" wrote in message
Innumerical wrote:
[...]

AFAIU non solder fittings can be used but should remain accessible.

With my limited experience I've never worried about purging gas pipes,
methane is very slow burning so there'll be no bang or pop!

In theory you should check the system for leaks after any mods.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Innumerical wrote:
[...]

Many would just check the modified areas for leaks with fluid rather that a
complete system check. On an electrical analogy, if you add a spur do you
check the connections of every socket in the house?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Innumerical wrote:
[...]

Your insurance company won't consider you competent. Also if you sell the
house and there is a subsequent accident you could be found guilty.....

Your question was an admission of non-competence in the field of working on
gas installations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Innumerical wrote:
[...]

John, get a life.

Thankyou to anyone who addressed my question.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:28:28 GMT, "Innumerical"
mused:

Hi, I need to move my gas cooker 6 feet. The gas is fed via a 22mm pipe with
a 13 mm pipe tee'd up to the cooker, the 22mil then continues on to the
boiler - all in a straight line. I want to connect a length of 13mm pipe to
the existing piece and route it to the new cooker position.

13mm?

As (i understand it) gas joints must be soldered, so I will need to remove
the gas that is already in the pipe. Is there an easy way to do this?
or is there another way to extend the 13mm pipe?

As already mentioned, you need to be competent to work on gas. I don't
feel that you are. Feel free to prove me wrong.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Innumerical wrote:

Hi, I need to move my gas cooker 6 feet. The gas is fed via a 22mm pipe with
a 13 mm pipe tee'd up to the cooker, the 22mil then continues on to the
boiler - all in a straight line. I want to connect a length of 13mm pipe to
the existing piece and route it to the new cooker position.
As (i understand it) gas joints must be soldered, so I will need to remove
the gas that is already in the pipe. Is there an easy way to do this?

Cutting through the pipe will usually do this!

or is there another way to extend the 13mm pipe?

I presume you mean 15mm? If so you can extend it in more 15mm copper
pipe. You can solder or use compression fittings.

Have a read of this before you go much further:

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html

If you are adding six meters to the pipe I would also be inclined to
make sure the pipe size will still be up to the job:

http://www.cda.org.uk/megab2/build/p...0Tube%20Sizing

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:28:28 +0000, Innumerical wrote:

Hi, I need to move my gas cooker 6 feet. The gas is fed via a 22mm pipe with
a 13 mm pipe tee'd up to the cooker, the 22mil then continues on to the
boiler - all in a straight line. I want to connect a length of 13mm pipe to
the existing piece and route it to the new cooker position.
As (i understand it) gas joints must be soldered, so I will need to remove
the gas that is already in the pipe. Is there an easy way to do this?
or is there another way to extend the 13mm pipe?
Thanks very.

There is a FAQ for this. It's a bit of a Catch-22 if you need to ask you
shouldn't be doing it.

Common misnomers about domestic gas pipe work:

1) Gas must be removed before soldering.
2) Only soldered joints are permitted.

See BS 6891 for the exact chapter and verse (linked below).