Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Satellite MiniDish Bracket - Which Way Up?!

I've just done my first and only DIY install of an eliptical mesh 60cm
zone 2 minidish. I've got 90% signal quality from Astra2/Eurobird so
I'm very happy. I had to assemble and install the dish without any
supplied instructions. I believe it's a Raven dish (that's what was on
the box).

It was supplied with an L-shaped mounting pole (about 1 foot stand-
off) and matching bracket. There were already some mounting bolts left
in the wall from a previous rusty minidish that I removed a while ago
so I just reused them - they're still very sound and in exactly the
right place for the bracket. I noticed after I put the dish up that
the bracket that bolts onto the wall to support the pole is not
symmetrical - its kind of U-shaped. I installed it so it looks like a
U - the two longer 'legs' are pointing upwards. I've noticed that the
vast majority (but not all) dishes in my area have their brackets the
other way up, like an n with the legs pointing downwards.

The question is - does it matter which way up the bracket is attached?
If so, why and how much difference does it make? If it's a problem, I
guess I need to take it off and turn it 180 degrees, but I can't be
bother to reposition the dish again so soon if it's not essential.

Thanks for your advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"iantho" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You may have installed the bracketry in the 'Catchwater' position.
Are the 'legs' of the 'U' hollow?
Can it fill up with rain?
Is there a drain hole at the base of the 'U'?

Is this a case of 'that's our Wullie in the parade; he's the only one
in-step'

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You may have installed the bracketry in the 'Catchwater' position.
Are the 'legs' of the 'U' hollow?
Can it fill up with rain?
Is there a drain hole at the base of the 'U'?

Is this a case of 'that's our Wullie in the parade; he's the only one
in-step'

--

Brian

Hi Brian,

Nope - the bracket is solid - no chance of pooling! I'm more worried
about if the bracket is stronger under high wind loading the other way
up, or something like that...

Thanks,

Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"iantho" wrote in message
oups.com...
You may have installed the bracketry in the 'Catchwater' position.
Are the 'legs' of the 'U' hollow?
Can it fill up with rain?
Is there a drain hole at the base of the 'U'?

Is this a case of 'that's our Wullie in the parade; he's the only one
in-step'

--

Brian

Hi Brian,

Nope - the bracket is solid - no chance of pooling! I'm more worried
about if the bracket is stronger under high wind loading the other way
up, or something like that...

You might try posting in uk.tech.digital-tv

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You might try posting in uk.tech.digital-tv

--
Michael Chare

Thanks for the tip Michael - I've just reposted to the digital-tv
group:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.te...e18cfdd3536c15

Ian

L-shaped bracket? Martin Pentreath UK diy 10 March 26th 07 12:51 PM
DIY Install Of Sky Minidish - Without a safety net! [email protected] UK diy 10 February 8th 06 10:48 AM
strengthening bracket? Jim UK diy 11 March 24th 05 02:01 PM
Handrail bracket Don Woodworking 0 March 12th 05 08:50 PM
Siting a satellite dish using satellite eclipse with the sun Roger UK diy 8 October 15th 04 01:46 AM