Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Ground source heat pumps

Anyone here had any experience of these? (installation/costs and so on....)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Cupra

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 14:24:26 +0100, " cupra"
wrote:

Anyone here had any experience of these? (installation/costs and so on....)

We're in the process of having one installed - with 600m of collector
pipework in three trenches.

Out here in Ireland the estimate for the work was in the region of
12000 euro - quite a lot of which is for the 'groundwork'. Good news
is that out here there's a government grant for 4000 euro.

The heat pump itself is rated at 2kw - and is reckoned to return 2-3
kw of heat for every kw of electricity. The system we're having has
two pumps, one for whole-house heating and the other for when you only
want domestic hot water...

If you need any more info then please ask

Regards
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone here had any experience of these? (installation/costs and so on....)

It seems to be an off-the-cuff £10,000 for a decent one for a place in
the country with plenty of land available around it.

A very long payback time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone here had any experience of these? (installation/costs and so
on....)

We're in the process of having one installed - with 600m of collector
pipework in three trenches.

Out here in Ireland the estimate for the work was in the region of
12000 euro - quite a lot of which is for the 'groundwork'. Good news
is that out here there's a government grant for 4000 euro.

The heat pump itself is rated at 2kw - and is reckoned to return 2-3
kw of heat for every kw of electricity. The system we're having has
two pumps, one for whole-house heating and the other for when you only
want domestic hot water...

If you need any more info then please ask

Regards
Adrian

I'd be interested to know how well it all works when comissioned - how much
space is the groundworks taking up?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Cupra

wrote:

[...]

The system we're having is very similar to the one they've got
installed next-door.

They like their house 'very' warm.....
Apparently the water coming out of the heatpump to the rads was at 65
- 70C - in the depths of (Irish) winter - though this is
adjustable....

As to the groundworks. We had a bit of ground that dipped rater
inconveniently, and we wanted it levelled for a polytunnel, so we
half-excavated / half-filled the area - so that the collector pipes
are in trenches 3ft deep with 3ft of soil on top of the original
ground level (if that makes sense).

Because we had the space, we just installed three trenches at about
50m each - and put two loops of 100m-long pipe in each. These come
back to a couple of manifolds (like you'd use for underfloor heating)
- and then to the (still-to-be-installed) heat pump.

If you're stuck for space, it's also possible to install the ground
collector in a narrow vertical borehole....

I'll try & remember to let you know when we've got the system
commissioned.....

Regards
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Adrian - fortunately our garden has plently of space and needs
landscaping too!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi I have seen these pumps installed as you mentioned on a vertical
bore hole some 30mts i think .I do remember there where concerns over
the noise levels allthough I dont know if these where founded . They
also installed a gas supply as a precaution .

Pablo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone here had any experience of these? (installation/costs and so
on....)

It seems to be an off-the-cuff £10,000 for a decent one for a place in
the country with plenty of land available around it.

A very long payback time.

My father supplies and fits ground and air to heat recovery systems. I can
post a link. but don't know if it is allowed in this group.

Gary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone here had any experience of these? (installation/costs and so
on....)

It seems to be an off-the-cuff £10,000 for a decent one for a place in
the country with plenty of land available around it.

A very long payback time.

My father supplies and fits ground and air to heat recovery systems. I can
post a link. but don't know if it is allowed in this group.

Gary

its ok if its a repsonse to a direct question, and gives relevant
info.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone here had any experience of these? (installation/costs and so
on....)

It seems to be an off-the-cuff £10,000 for a decent one for a place
in the country with plenty of land available around it.

A very long payback time.

My father supplies and fits ground and air to heat recovery systems.
I can post a link. but don't know if it is allowed in this group.

Gary

If you don't feel like posting it (which I think is okay), you can always
email me....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 22:54:45 +0100, "grrr"
wrote:

|!EricP wrote:
|! On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 14:24:26 +0100, " cupra"
|! wrote:
|!
|! Anyone here had any experience of these? (installation/costs and so
|! on....)
|!
|! It seems to be an off-the-cuff ?10,000 for a decent one for a place in
|! the country with plenty of land available around it.
|!
|! A very long payback time.
|!
|!My father supplies and fits ground and air to heat recovery systems. I can
|!post a link. but don't know if it is allowed in this group.

Links as part of a discussion are allowed.
Or would be if we had a Charter sigh.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone here had any experience of these? (installation/costs and

so
on....)

It seems to be an off-the-cuff £10,000 for a decent one for a

place in
the country with plenty of land available around it.

A very long payback time.

My father supplies and fits ground and air to heat recovery systems.

I can
post a link. but don't know if it is allowed in this group.

Gary

I'm sure very many here would be pleased to see the link, me included

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Cupra

wrote:

[...]

That's an ideal situation then.... g
There may be grants in the UK.....?

Regards
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My father supplies and fits ground and air to heat recovery systems.
I can post a link. but don't know if it is allowed in this group.

I'm sure very many here would be pleased to see the link, me included

I agree - go for it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
My father supplies and fits ground and air to heat recovery systems.
I can post a link. but don't know if it is allowed in this group.

I'm sure very many here would be pleased to see the link, me included

I agree - go for it

ok. the web site is work in progress. but there are links to our email, we
also have a working showroom.

www.jack-elam.co.uk

Gary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"grrr" wrote in message
Colin Wilson wrote:
My father supplies and fits ground and air to heat recovery

systems.
I can post a link. but don't know if it is allowed in this

group.
I'm sure very many here would be pleased to see the link, me

included

I agree - go for it

ok. the web site is work in progress. but there are links to our

email, we
also have a working showroom.

www.jack-elam.co.uk

Gary

Interesting site. Are there typical prices that you could illustrate ?

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
HI Cupra

snip
I'll try & remember to let you know when we've got the system
commissioned.....

Regards
Adrian

Thanks Adrian - fortunately our garden has plently of space and needs
landscaping too!

That's an ideal situation then.... g
There may be grants in the UK.....?

Regards
Adrian

Yep - I'm going to explore the possibilites and start counting my pennies!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Try here http://www.nef.org.uk/gshp/grants.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I installed a ground source heat pump 4 years ago into a barn that i
was converting. The groundwork, in my case, was much greater than
initially expected since 2 rock seams crossed the route of our
pipework. I have since been involved in 2 other settings both of which
went very smoothly. As to the payback... if you are not on mains gas
then the sums work out. Just calculate the annual cost of a mortgage
of lets say £8000 and I think you will find that annual outgoings are
less than your savings. In addition you are also doing your bit for
the environment.

Would I do it again? Yes!!!

Have I recommended it to friends? Yes!!!

Are there drawbacks? Yes!!! The main one being that unlike
conventional boilers the units are not oversized and so recovery time
tends to be longer. I tend to run my for 8 hours at night (cheap
electricity) and then just top ups throughout the day. With my system
I also get all my DHW from the system... there are mixed views on
this, but I am pleased with the results and the efficiency.

If you want a chat about it then get in touch.

Calum Sabey
NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone here had any experience of these? (installation/costs and so on.....)

It seems to be an off-the-cuff £10,000 for a decent one for a place in
the country with plenty of land available around it.

A very long payback time.

very long indeed. Why woul danybody fit one? Even if it saved, say,
£500 a year it would still take 20 years to pay pac

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone here had any experience of these? (installation/costs and so
on....)

It seems to be an off-the-cuff £10,000 for a decent one for a place
in the country with plenty of land available around it.

A very long payback time.

very long indeed. Why woul danybody fit one?

No gas, no boiler, no oil tank, access through house, etc...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hiya
Sorry I havent replied to your post earlier. I have been working away
from the office. I have no problems with you either emailing me or
phoning me to discuss the heat pump... though emailing is probably the
best route as I am rarely in. The best email to get me on is

Kind Regards
Calum Sabey
NewArk Traditional Kitchens
01556 690544

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone here had any experience of these? (installation/costs and so on.....)

It seems to be an off-the-cuff £10,000 for a decent one for a place in
the country with plenty of land available around it.

A very long payback time.

very long indeed. Why woul danybody fit one? Even if it saved, say,
£500 a year it would still take 20 years to pay pac

I like the technology and idea of heat pumps and they are cheap enough
to run if you get a high COP unit. The install cost is way too high,
so much so it is better to install a cheap oil or LPG boiler and use
the remainder of the money spent on a heat pump on heavy insulation
and making the place more air tight. That will give a house that is
much cheaper to run than a heat pump and technology that is easily and
cheaply serviced.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone here had any experience of these? (installation/costs and so on....)

It seems to be an off-the-cuff £10,000 for a decent one for a place in
the country with plenty of land available around it.

A very long payback time.

very long indeed. Why woul danybody fit one? Even if it saved, say,
£500 a year it would still take 20 years to pay pac

I like the technology and idea of heat pumps and they are cheap enough
to run if you get a high COP unit. The install cost is way too high,
so much so it is better to install a cheap oil or LPG boiler and use
the remainder of the money spent on a heat pump on heavy insulation
and making the place more air tight. That will give a house that is
much cheaper to run than a heat pump and technology that is easily and
cheaply serviced.

Adding a solar panel or two will make running costs even cheaper
again. So look at other ways than a heat pump before you plunge into
high install costs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 May 2007 13:42:13 -0700, timegoesby wrote:

I like the technology and idea of heat pumps and they are cheap enough
to run if you get a high COP unit. The install cost is way too high,
so much so it is better to install a cheap oil or LPG boiler and use
the remainder of the money spent on a heat pump on heavy insulation
and making the place more air tight. That will give a house that is
much cheaper to run than a heat pump and technology that is easily and
cheaply serviced.

Adding a solar panel or two will make running costs even cheaper
again. So look at other ways than a heat pump before you plunge into
high install costs.

You've just pointed out that the money spent on a ground source heat pump
might be better spent on insulation and other energy conservation measures
then you go and recommend solar heating to which the same considerations
apply in spades!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 May 2007 13:37:38 -0700 wrote :
I like the technology and idea of heat pumps and they are cheap enough
to run if you get a high COP unit. The install cost is way too high,
so much so it is better to install a cheap oil or LPG boiler and use
the remainder of the money spent on a heat pump on heavy insulation
and making the place more air tight. That will give a house that is
much cheaper to run than a heat pump and technology that is easily and
cheaply serviced.

Surely a heat pump ought to run for years without problems: my old fridge
was still working fine when I dumped after 24 years. For those not of a
DIY persuasion, oil or LPG will cost £100+ per year in servicing and
replacements and you have the issue of fuel storage and deliveries.

The other big advantage of heat pumps on new builds is that they make
complying with Part L much easier. The compliance test is now CO2 based.
Electricity is assumed to produce about twice as much CO2/kW as LPG.
Factor in the respective efficiencies 300%/90% and the CO2 for heat pump
sourced heat is significantly less. Using solar panels for DHW would make
sense since heat pumps are not at their best producing really hot water,
rather warm water feeding into underfloor heating.

Best source of Stuart Turner pumps? John Rumm UK diy 1 October 15th 05 11:59 AM
Heat Pumps Jeff Wisnia Home Repair 5 May 5th 05 09:50 PM
Heat Pumps? [email protected] Home Repair 11 March 11th 05 06:16 AM
Defrosting heat pumps HvacTech2 Home Repair 10 February 1st 05 12:31 PM
Experiences with ground source heat pumps? Mike Deblis UK diy 52 September 29th 04 08:53 PM