Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default OT Ground source heat pumps

HI Cupra

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 21:17:39 +0100, " cupra"
wrote:

Adrian wrote:
HI Cupra

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 14:24:26 +0100, " cupra"
wrote:

Anyone here had any experience of these? (installation/costs and so
on....)

We're in the process of having one installed - with 600m of collector
pipework in three trenches.

Out here in Ireland the estimate for the work was in the region of
12000 euro - quite a lot of which is for the 'groundwork'. Good news
is that out here there's a government grant for 4000 euro.

The heat pump itself is rated at 2kw - and is reckoned to return 2-3
kw of heat for every kw of electricity. The system we're having has
two pumps, one for whole-house heating and the other for when you only
want domestic hot water...

If you need any more info then please ask

Regards
Adrian

I'd be interested to know how well it all works when comissioned - how much
space is the groundworks taking up?

The system we're having is very similar to the one they've got
installed next-door.

They like their house 'very' warm.....
Apparently the water coming out of the heatpump to the rads was at 65
- 70C - in the depths of (Irish) winter - though this is
adjustable....

As to the groundworks. We had a bit of ground that dipped rater
inconveniently, and we wanted it levelled for a polytunnel, so we
half-excavated / half-filled the area - so that the collector pipes
are in trenches 3ft deep with 3ft of soil on top of the original
ground level (if that makes sense).

Because we had the space, we just installed three trenches at about
50m each - and put two loops of 100m-long pipe in each. These come
back to a couple of manifolds (like you'd use for underfloor heating)
- and then to the (still-to-be-installed) heat pump.

If you're stuck for space, it's also possible to install the ground
collector in a narrow vertical borehole....

I'll try & remember to let you know when we've got the system
commissioned.....

Regards
Adrian