Posted to uk.d-i-y
jal jal is offline

Default Cooker hood recommendations

I'd like to fit a cooker hood above our gas cooker (and do away with the
Expelair that we have fitted in a hole in the window, which never
extracts cooking smells satisfactorily).

I'm thinking about:

- make of cooker hood;
- price - can't spend too much, but don't want one so cheap that it's
nasty;
- potential wiring problems;
- potential problems in venting through the wall (will I need to drill a
6" wide hole though two bricks?).

What Does The Team Think?

Thanks for any recommendations.

john
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jal wrote:
I'd like to fit a cooker hood above our gas cooker (and do away with the
Expelair that we have fitted in a hole in the window, which never
extracts cooking smells satisfactorily).

I'm thinking about:

- make of cooker hood;
- price - can't spend too much, but don't want one so cheap that it's
nasty;
- potential wiring problems;
- potential problems in venting through the wall (will I need to drill a
6" wide hole though two bricks?).

AFAICS you can spend the absolute earth on these things - ie, many
hundreds for a designer model. I've bought several bottom-end-of-the
range stainless steel pyramid type models in the past from internet
shops (80-90 quid) and never had any problems with any of them them - at
the end of the day they are very simple devices and there's not much to
go wrong.

There's plenty in the archives of this newsgroup about how to fit them.
Is the oven on an outside wall? That's easiest, neatest and most
efficient with respect to venting.

Make sure you fit it high enough above the hob (consult the hob
instructions).

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-03 13:47:56 +0100, jal said:

I'd like to fit a cooker hood above our gas cooker (and do away with the
Expelair that we have fitted in a hole in the window, which never
extracts cooking smells satisfactorily).

I'm thinking about:

- make of cooker hood;
- price - can't spend too much, but don't want one so cheap that it's
nasty;
- potential wiring problems;
- potential problems in venting through the wall (will I need to drill a
6" wide hole though two bricks?).

What Does The Team Think?

Thanks for any recommendations.

john

have a look at this site

http://www.elica.co.uk/

This is the UK importer for the Italian Elica company who make a large
proportion of all cooker hoods sold in Europe, many of which are
branded (and marked up) by Bosch etc.

Quality is respectable on most of their products.

Once you fond what you like, there are loads of places to buy and
prices very negotiable.

TLC generally has good prices on line and can be persuaded to do better
with a bit of a push.

Most worthwhile hoods have 125mm hole or 150mm. Greater shouldn't be
needed unless there are very long duct runs or you are trying to move a
lot of air. You can either rent a core drill of the appropriate size
or drill small holes in a circle and knock out with a chisel, making
good afterwards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-03 13:47:56 +0100, jal said:

I'd like to fit a cooker hood above our gas cooker (and do away
with the Expelair that we have fitted in a hole in the window,
which never extracts cooking smells satisfactorily).

have a look at this site

http://www.elica.co.uk/

This is the UK importer for the Italian Elica company who make a
large proportion of all cooker hoods sold in Europe, many of which
are branded (and marked up) by Bosch etc.

Quality is respectable on most of their products.

Once you fond what you like, there are loads of places to buy and
prices very negotiable.

Andy is right about the Elica models. And if you have a country-style
kitchen with a range cooker located in the chimney breast then you
will search high and low for something suitable until you find this
or a sister model:
http://www.elica.co.uk/view_products_child.asp?id=49
which can be mounted on a board across the opening. Makes a neat job.

--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-03 13:47:56 +0100, jal said:

[...]

Yes, I have this one. I believe that they make various sizes.

The other nice thing is that the mesh filters can be removed and washed easily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Apr, 16:15, Richard Perkin wrote:

On 2007-04-03 13:47:56 +0100, jal said:

[...]

We have a similar, albeit slightly lower performance (500m3/hr
freeflow cf. 700m3/hr) version bought from TLC:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BMCAN54SS.html

Which, at £89, is surely unbeatable. Works superbly (both extraction
and lighting), looks great, not too loud, and as Andy says a doddle to
clean the filters - just bung them in the dishwasher.

I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mathew Newton" wrote in
oups.com:

On 2007-04-03 13:47:56 +0100, jal said:

[...]

Indeed. The (small) point I was making is that while there are many
devices sized for the standard 60cm appliance width, there aren't
many around sized for the width of range cookers (90cm, 100cm,
110cm).

The Baumatic model you link to is 52cm and designed to fit a 60cm
unit size. The Elica model I referenced is 72cm - I can't now
remember if I ever did find any other 'wide' products suitable for
custom mounting.

As far as price goes, TLC lists the cheapest 52cm Elica product at
GBP 40 + VAT. The BI80UHS 72cm model I linked to is listed at GBP 130
+ VAT - which is more than I paid last year from 365electrical, but
at whatever price it's certainly not a cheap option!
--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below
richard.perkinATmyrealbox.com

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Apr, 18:10, Richard Perkin wrote:

Indeed. The (small) point I was making is that while there are many
devices sized for the standard 60cm appliance width, there aren't
many around sized for the width of range cookers (90cm, 100cm,
110cm).

I think you misinterpreted my post (probably my fault!). I wasn't
disagreeing, nor raising the bar, but merely adding a suggestion as to
a(nother) value-for-money type of built-in extractor for the
circumstances you described.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-03 13:47:56 +0100, jal said:

[...]

Just fitted the remote motor/fan model, chosen because of its low
height, and very quiet opeation. Looks very good over a 1000mm range
cooker.
Robert

Cooker hood! [email protected] UK diy 12 September 8th 06 05:46 PM
cooker hood Valerie UK diy 4 October 6th 05 06:41 PM
cooker hood davef UK diy 1 November 28th 04 10:48 PM
Cooker hood wiring again! John Greenwood UK diy 3 July 31st 03 11:10 AM
Cooker hood wiring Dave Plowman UK diy 12 July 29th 03 04:42 PM