Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

Default Dunlop Universal Bonding Agent & Bathroom Tiling

Looking for advice from Tilers who have used this stuff please.

Had wall re-skimmed prior to tiling above bath for shower use. Let
plaster dry a couple of weeks then painted neat bonding agent on wall
(as per instructions on container) before tiling. Have tiled one
significant area of wall but now notice on another wall that bonding
agent has stuck but can be peeled off like a skin from plaster -
doesnt look like it has keyed as well I I would expect. Just phoned
BAL who tell me I should have used 4:1 soution so as to soak it into
plaster. Seems logical and I should have checked before however
existing tiles seem to be reasonably well fixed and I cant pull them
off by hand but I imagine they would come off if I got a scraper
behind with tile and cement intact breaking seal between plaster and
bonding agent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Tom wrote:
Had wall re-skimmed prior to tiling above bath for shower use. Let
plaster dry a couple of weeks then painted neat bonding agent on wall
(as per instructions on container) before tiling.

Could I ask why? Decent tile adhesive is designed to work straight on
plaster. If the wall needed sealing it would say so.

--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

On 2 Apr, 11:06, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article .com,
Tom wrote:

Had wall re-skimmed prior to tiling above bath for shower use. Let
plaster dry a couple of weeks then painted neat bonding agent on wall
(as per instructions on container) before tiling.

Could I ask why? Decent tile adhesive is designed to work straight on
plaster. If the wall needed sealing it would say so.

--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Just went with instruction on back of Dunlop tile cement (tub) which
said new shiney plaster should be brushed and bonded with their
bonding agent......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tom wrote:
Looking for advice from Tilers who have used this stuff please.

Had wall re-skimmed prior to tiling above bath for shower use. Let
plaster dry a couple of weeks then painted neat bonding agent on wall
(as per instructions on container) before tiling. Have tiled one
significant area of wall but now notice on another wall that bonding
agent has stuck but can be peeled off like a skin from plaster -
doesnt look like it has keyed as well I I would expect. Just phoned
BAL who tell me I should have used 4:1 soution so as to soak it into
plaster. Seems logical and I should have checked before however
existing tiles seem to be reasonably well fixed and I cant pull them
off by hand but I imagine they would come off if I got a scraper
behind with tile and cement intact breaking seal between plaster and
bonding agent.

If it peels off easily, then I'd certainly peel it off. If you just get
most of it off, it will give the adhesive some bare plaster to bond to.
As Dave says, you shouldn't need to seal new plaster at all
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

On 2 Apr, 11:45, Stuart Noble wrote:
Tom wrote:
[...]

As Dave says, you shouldn't need to seal new plaster at all- Hide quoted text -

Cheers Stuart & Dave. Suppose I ought to see how well existing tiles
are stuck before I plan next move....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Tom wrote:
Could I ask why? Decent tile adhesive is designed to work straight on
plaster. If the wall needed sealing it would say so.

Just went with instruction on back of Dunlop tile cement (tub) which
said new shiney plaster should be brushed and bonded with their
bonding agent......

I've never actually seen Dunlop tile cement. Is this for ceramic tiles?

--
*My dog can lick anyone