Posted to alt.home.repair
Fred Mayfield

Default Tiling Bathroom Walls & Ceiling???

We've had moisture problems in one of our bathrooms (mainly teen-aged kids)
that over the years has caused mold, peeling paint (both latex and
oil-based), peeling wallpaper, etc. My wife is tired of re-working the
bathroom and wants this work to last for many years and so she came up with
the idea of putting ceramic tile on *all* of the walls and ceiling. Right
now we have tile in the bathtub surround only. BTW, we did install a
bathroom vent fan a number of years ago and it helped but didn't solve the
problem.

So, what are the pros/cons of tiling the entire bathroom? Do we need to do
anything special to the painted ceiling before we start sticking tile to it?
What keeps the tiles up while the glue/thinset are setting?

--

Fred.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Fred Mayfield wrote:
We've had moisture problems in one of our bathrooms (mainly teen-aged
kids) that over the years has caused mold, peeling paint (both latex
and oil-based), peeling wallpaper, etc. My wife is tired of
re-working the bathroom and wants this work to last for many years
and so she came up with the idea of putting ceramic tile on *all* of
the walls and ceiling. Right now we have tile in the bathtub surround
only. BTW, we did install a bathroom vent fan a number of years ago
and it helped but didn't solve the problem.

So, what are the pros/cons of tiling the entire bathroom? Do we need
to do anything special to the painted ceiling before we start
sticking tile to it? What keeps the tiles up while the glue/thinset
are setting?

Yes Done right it will protect the bathroom surfaces, but it will not
help prevent mold. My aunt had a '20's home with a bath like that. Not my
choice.

What I do suggest is a good vent fan and if necessary, connect it so it
runs from the light switch or a motion sensor switch so they can't forget to
use it. Good means it will be quiet and will move a lot of air.

If you don't move the moisture out some where, it is still going to be
there to cause mold and other damage.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Fred Mayfield wrote:
We've had moisture problems in one of our bathrooms (mainly teen-aged kids)
that over the years has caused mold, peeling paint (both latex and
oil-based), peeling wallpaper, etc. My wife is tired of re-working the
bathroom and wants this work to last for many years and so she came up with
the idea of putting ceramic tile on *all* of the walls and ceiling.

SNIP

Downside: it gives the room a very institutional look.
And create echoes like a bat cave.

Your call.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Tiles on the walls and cieling will likely increse the thermal mass of the
room making condensation more likely but on a surface that will not absorb
it so the resulting damage will be less.

"Fred Mayfield" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Bathroom Ceiling Peeling After Painting With Latex Paint Mud Home Repair 0 November 27th 05 01:24 AM
Bathroom tiling - behind or around?! shaun UK diy 12 November 21st 05 09:16 PM
Tiling bathroom floor Tom W UK diy 2 April 8th 05 09:49 AM
Replacing Bathroom Ceiling Exhaust Fans... Bill Home Repair 10 July 21st 04 10:48 PM
HELP fitting a bathroom ceiling light! Shaun UK diy 8 June 1st 04 10:10 PM