Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New garage - looking for inspiration

HVB wrote:

What would your ideal garage have in it?

I had mine built last year. Key items for my own desires were :

- 3m ceiling height (double-layer PB with vapour barrier)
- Central heating
- Walls in white external emulsion, floor in grey
- Clean bench with networked computer
- Dirty bench (HD with vice etc)
- Kitchen sink unit & row of basic wall cabinets
- 4m of 6ft dexion-type shelving down one wall
- 4x 6ft flourescent lights, plus several spots
- Compressor, airlines & tools
- Exposed RSJ in roof for ad-hoc winching etc
- Full-width motorised roller-door
- Several C02 extinguishers

I worked hard to earn this, and put it all in new. It's not especially
expensive, except the door, and it's a wonderful luxury after years of
mending cars on the street and everything else on the kitchen table. Now
I potter about in warmth & comfort, can easily google a query whilst
listening to my fave sounds, can store everything neatly.

What I now wish I'd done at the same time......

- replaced the manky cardboard & plastic boxes with new stacker crates
- Inspection pit (or even a basic vehicle lift)
- Proper extractor with hoses for woodworking machinery
- Accompanying 'garden store' for mowers, bicycles etc.
- Even more soundproofing specced in (integrated garage)

Good luck with your project - I've been really pleased with mine.