Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New garage - looking for inspiration

HVB wrote:
The VBs are moving house soon and I'll have a nice new double garage
to call home. I do a little bit of spannering and am become more
likely to take on 'projects', building my knowledge of spannery type
things. It's a place I'm likely to spend a reasonable amount of time
and as such, I'd like to make it comfortable and ergonomic.

It's very easy to get inspiration for rooms inside the house - there
are dozens of magazines and books devoted to the subject. I'm looking
for inspiration, but not finding much. I figured this NG would be
brimming over with such inspiration.

Aside from the usual... painted floor and walls and some
heating/cooling... what else can I do to the garage to make it a nice,
comfortable, fun place to work? I want to go in and think "wow!".

First thing you need is a sound system - there's no limits here so it's up
to you, along with speakers and their positions, sizes etc.
A fridge wouldn't go amiss, you can pick up small ones now for less than a
ton, beer, for the cooling of.

Obviously some posters dotted about:
http://www.allposters.com/-st/The-Ga...408_s6939_.htm

You'll want an alarm:
http://www.elitemotorcycleservices.co.uk/meta_c11.html

portable telly.

Telephone extension and phone.

A Jack Daniels neon wall clock:
http://www.drinkstuff.com/products/p...n +Neon+Clock

(These people have tons of cool stuff, even a remote controlled tarantula)
http://www.drinkstuff.com/

Running water and small sink/basin.

Comfy chair

etc.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 20:12:02 GMT, "Phil L"
mused:

HVB wrote:
[...]

Some of those bits sound OKish, but overall I have to say that sounds
like a ******** of a place.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HVB wrote:
[...]

Which parts? :-p

OK the neon wallclock was a bit gaudy, but I figured he's gonna have a clock
of some kind, what else? - a grandfather clock? - a jewel encrusted
masterpiece from the jewellers?

The posters, sound system, telly, phone, sink, chair, alarm and fridge are
all required IMV

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 21:13:00 GMT, "Phil L"
mused:

Some of those bits sound OKish, but overall I have to say that sounds
like a ******** of a place.

Which parts? :-p

OK the neon wallclock was a bit gaudy, but I figured he's gonna have a clock
of some kind, what else? - a grandfather clock? - a jewel encrusted
masterpiece from the jewellers?

Yeah, I'd just use a 99p wall clock.

The posters, sound system, telly, phone, sink, chair, alarm and fridge are
all required IMV

Just not in the style you suggest perhaps. Obviously some of us have
more taste than others, it happens.

the alarm, if you're got anythig in there of any value then get a
proper alarm, if you haven't then don't bother.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:
On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 21:13:00 GMT, "Phil L"
mused:

Some of those bits sound OKish, but overall I have to say that
sounds like a ******** of a place.

Which parts? :-p

OK the neon wallclock was a bit gaudy, but I figured he's gonna have
a clock of some kind, what else? - a grandfather clock? - a jewel
encrusted masterpiece from the jewellers?

Yeah, I'd just use a 99p wall clock.

such taste!

The posters, sound system, telly, phone, sink, chair, alarm and
fridge are all required IMV

Just not in the style you suggest perhaps. Obviously some of us have
more taste than others, it happens.

Not more taste, just different tastes, horses for courses and all that
********

the alarm, if you're got anythig in there of any value then get a
proper alarm, if you haven't then don't bother.

If the garage is connected to the house, it may be on that alarm system, but
lets face it, who ever sets the alarm when they are at home? - those
cheap/nasty ones are adequate to deter the commonest of thieves; bored
teenagers/drug addicts

New garage - looking for inspiration Anita Palley UK diy 1 April 1st 07 09:21 PM
Ceiling in garage too low for installling garage door opener [email protected] Home Ownership 6 November 26th 06 03:46 PM
Link Garage Lights to Garage Opener? GoHabsGo Home Repair 10 February 15th 06 01:23 PM
An inspiration... Gunner Metalworking 4 January 11th 06 04:12 AM
Garage door & garage light Michael T Home Repair 4 March 11th 05 03:47 PM