Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tiny Torx screwdrivers

I've been looking at buying a set of Torx screwdrivers for taking small
things apart, the sort of screw that's 2mm across. But there seem to be two
notations out the

T4, T5, T6, etc
and
T0.5, T0.6, T1.0 etc (often they're quoted as T0.5x40, where I'm guessing
40 is the shaft length), such as these:
http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.co...cat=390&page=1

I understand the T4, T5 notation - I think the screws in my phone are
something like T4 or T5. But what does the other notation mean?
I'm guessing it might be something to do with the internal dimensions:
http://www.wihatools.com/torxspec.htm
in inches, but it still doesn't make sense. Perhaps T0.5=T5, T0.6=T6?

Thanks
Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
I've been looking at buying a set of Torx screwdrivers for taking small
things apart, the sort of screw that's 2mm across. But there seem to be

two
notations out the

T4, T5, T6, etc
and
T0.5, T0.6, T1.0 etc (often they're quoted as T0.5x40, where I'm guessing
40 is the shaft length), such as these:

http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.co...duct.php?produ
ctid=19761&cat=390&page=1

I understand the T4, T5 notation - I think the screws in my phone are
something like T4 or T5. But what does the other notation mean?
I'm guessing it might be something to do with the internal dimensions:
http://www.wihatools.com/torxspec.htm
in inches, but it still doesn't make sense. Perhaps T0.5=T5, T0.6=T6?

Thanks
Theo

Whilst I can't explain the size conventions, if you need a torx driver for
you phone, search on Fleabay. 353 hits just now for torx in the phone
category.
HTH

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
I've been looking at buying a set of Torx screwdrivers for taking small
things apart, the sort of screw that's 2mm across. But there seem to be
two
notations out the

T4, T5, T6, etc
and
T0.5, T0.6, T1.0 etc (often they're quoted as T0.5x40, where I'm guessing
40 is the shaft length), such as these:
http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.co...cat=390&page=1

I understand the T4, T5 notation - I think the screws in my phone are
something like T4 or T5. But what does the other notation mean?
I'm guessing it might be something to do with the internal dimensions:
http://www.wihatools.com/torxspec.htm
in inches, but it still doesn't make sense. Perhaps T0.5=T5, T0.6=T6?

My guess is that your are right. Either that or the tools are more suitable
for watch repairs!

I have a small box of C.K Tools. The Torx parts are labeled TX 05, TX 06,
TX 07 and TX 08. ( i.e. use of leading zero)

I used them for taking a DEC phone apart.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...id=-8&doy=28m3

I like these, and very keenly priced. Maplins do a very interesting range
of small and precision tools and the shops are always worth a browse round.
The dentist type probes and tweezers are handy too...

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Steve H
writes
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...ame=MOBILE%20P
HONE%20TOOL%20KIT&FromMenu=y&worldid=-8&doy=28m3

I like these, and very keenly priced. Maplins do a very interesting range
of small and precision tools and the shops are always worth a browse round.
The dentist type probes and tweezers are handy too...

I've got the first one of those (7pce) and am very happy with it, fine for SE
phones but it doesn't have T4, just T5,6,7 +misc toys. I see the larger set
has T4 but it's 20quid.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:13:02 GMT, fred wrote:

In article , Steve H
writes
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...ame=MOBILE%20P
HONE%20TOOL%20KIT&FromMenu=y&worldid=-8&doy=28m3

I like these, and very keenly priced. Maplins do a very interesting range
of small and precision tools and the shops are always worth a browse round.
The dentist type probes and tweezers are handy too...

I've got the first one of those (7pce) and am very happy with it, fine for SE
phones but it doesn't have T4, just T5,6,7 +misc toys. I see the larger set
has T4 but it's 20quid.

The other day I needed a small Torx driver to undo a shroud around the
car's steering column - the right size one in my Machine Mart "Chesco"
set was a bit short to comfortably reach one screw. The only
"standalone" one I could get locally (a T20, very roughly 1/8"
'across') was a ½" drive, totally overkill for self-tappers into
polyurethane or whatever, so I just used it as a hand-held
'screwdriver' :-)

It cost a fiver, but I try to convince myself that it'll pay for
itself several times over... :-(

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.co...mer/product.ph...

I understand the T4, T5 notation - I think the screws in my phone are
something like T4 or T5. But what does the other notation mean?
I'm guessing it might be something to do with the internal dimensions:
http://www.wihatools.com/torxspec.htm
in inches, but it still doesn't make sense. Perhaps T0.5=T5, T0.6=T6?

My guess is that your are right. Either that or the tools are more suitable
for watch repairs!

I have a small box of C.K Tools. The Torx parts are labeled TX 05, TX 06,
TX 07 and TX 08. ( i.e. use of leading zero)

I used them for taking a DEC phone apart.

Did you do the PDP-11 at the same time?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote in
oups.com:

On Mar 27, 10:09 pm, "Michael Chare"
wrote:
"Theo Markettos" wrote in
message

I used them for taking a DEC phone apart.

Did you do the PDP-11 at the same time?

Ahhh - happy memories!
--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...

Did you do the PDP-11 at the same time?

I preferred the data general nova (IIRC) myself.
There was a mod that required soldering a resistor (AIIRC) onto the
backplane to double the speed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 29, 2:55 pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Did you do the PDP-11 at the same time?

Were they made by DEC?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote in news:euggoc$6cd$2
@apophis.demon.co.uk:

On 2007-03-29, Richard Perkin wrote:
" wrote in
oups.com:

On Mar 27, 10:09 pm, "Michael Chare"
wrote:
"Theo Markettos" wrote in
message

I used them for taking a DEC phone apart.

Did you do the PDP-11 at the same time?

Ahhh - happy memories!

My PDP's held together with cross-head screws...

The memories are of the PDP-11 in assorted variants (11/70, 11/40,
11/34, 11/23, 11/73...) under RSX-11M and 11S. As well of memories of
reading the source code and becoming familar with the work of one D N
Cutler before he moved onwards and upwards(?).

But perhaps nostalgia ain't what it used to be
--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below
richard.perkinATmyrealbox.com

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard Perkin" wrote in message

The memories are of the PDP-11 in assorted variants (11/70, 11/40,
11/34, 11/23, 11/73...) under RSX-11M and 11S. As well of memories of
reading the source code and becoming familar with the work of one D N
Cutler before he moved onwards and upwards(?).

Probably no relation to Ivor Cutler :-(

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Given that a modern PC can run RSX on a PDP-11 emulator faster than a real
PDP can, I suspect so.

Why would anyone want to?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:55:08 UTC, "dennis@home"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Did you do the PDP-11 at the same time?

I preferred the data general nova (IIRC) myself.
There was a mod that required soldering a resistor (AIIRC) onto the
backplane to double the speed.

Done by IBM long before that...only it was snipping a wire.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-29, Richard Perkin wrote:
" wrote in
oups.com:

On Mar 27, 10:09 pm, "Michael Chare"
wrote:
"Theo Markettos" wrote in
message

I used them for taking a DEC phone apart.

Did you do the PDP-11 at the same time?

Ahhh - happy memories!

My PDP's held together with cross-head screws...

The memories are of the PDP-11 in assorted variants (11/70, 11/40,
11/34, 11/23, 11/73...) under RSX-11M and 11S. As well of memories of
reading the source code and becoming familar with the work of one D N
Cutler before he moved onwards and upwards(?).

I started on an 11/20 and an 11/03. Then many others. I still do a demo
of UNIX v6 (the original release) as part of a UNIX history lecture I
give...! (using a simulator...)

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The memories are of the PDP-11 in assorted variants (11/70, 11/40,
11/34, 11/23, 11/73...) under RSX-11M and 11S. As well of memories of
reading the source code and becoming familar with the work of one D N
Cutler before he moved onwards and upwards(?).

The guy who had a car number plate with ... 'CMKRNL'.... on it!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote in
:

On 2007-03-29, Richard Perkin wrote:
" wrote in
oups.com:

On Mar 27, 10:09 pm, "Michael Chare"
wrote:
"Theo Markettos" wrote in
message

I used them for taking a DEC phone apart.

Did you do the PDP-11 at the same time?

Ahhh - happy memories!

My PDP's held together with cross-head screws...

The memories are of the PDP-11 in assorted variants (11/70,
11/40, 11/34, 11/23, 11/73...) under RSX-11M and 11S.

Ditto. Plus RSTS-E. I had an '11/24+ until a few months ago. Gave
it to Bletchley Park.

As well of memories of
reading the source code and becoming familar with the work of one
D N Cutler before he moved onwards and upwards(?).

Well, sideways.

But perhaps nostalgia ain't what it used to be

Given that a modern PC can run RSX on a PDP-11 emulator faster
than a real PDP can, I suspect so.

Indeed. Nice touch about Bletchley Park. I really should have thought
about them when I discarded some reels of DECtape and software on
fanfold paper tape from a long-gone PDP-8 when moving house last
year.

I remember that OS/8 (the operating system for the PDP-8) had a
'programmer's joke' - on 4 July it would declare independence, and
respond to all commands with the command prompt and take no other
action. Even at the time I didn't think it was acceptable, but
perhaps I was just too serious...

Now those *really* were the days - the days of 12 bit words and 6 bit
bytes.
--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below
richard.perkinATmyrealbox.com

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:24:29 UTC, Richard Perkin
wrote:

I remember that OS/8 (the operating system for the PDP-8) had a
'programmer's joke' - on 4 July it would declare independence, and
respond to all commands with the command prompt and take no other
action. Even at the time I didn't think it was acceptable, but
perhaps I was just too serious...

A modern PC can run OS/8 even faster....!

I actually assembled and ran a significant program on OS/8 recently...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Mar 2007 12:05:32 GMT, Richard Perkin
wrote:

" wrote in
roups.com:

On Mar 27, 10:09 pm, "Michael Chare"
wrote:
"Theo Markettos" wrote in
message

I used them for taking a DEC phone apart.

Did you do the PDP-11 at the same time?

Ahhh - happy memories!

That's a TAD too deep for me. I think I will CLA CLL (off)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Mar 2007 16:24:29 GMT, Richard Perkin
wrote:

Huge wrote in
:

On 2007-03-29, Richard Perkin wrote:
" wrote in
oups.com:

On Mar 27, 10:09 pm, "Michael Chare"
wrote:
"Theo Markettos" wrote in
message

[...]

What's this - an OS for the PDP 8?

Load the 12 instructions via the keys, and then the (real) Bootstraps
and off you go - no need for an OS ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:23:20 UTC, mike wrote:

On 29 Mar 2007 16:24:29 GMT, Richard Perkin
wrote:

Huge wrote in
:

On 2007-03-29, Richard Perkin wrote:
" wrote in
oups.com:

On Mar 27, 10:09 pm, "Michael Chare"
wrote:
"Theo Markettos" wrote in
message

[...]

Yes, but OS/8 made it much easier to go multi-user...!
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

oups.com...
wrote:
I have a small box of C.K Tools. The Torx parts are labeled TX 05,
TX 06,

TX 07 and TX 08. ( i.e. use of leading zero)

I used them for taking a DEC phone apart.

Did you do the PDP-11 at the same time?

MBQ

I was more into the "It's Better Manually" variety myself.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
I understand the T4, T5 notation - I think the screws in my phone are
something like T4 or T5. But what does the other notation mean?
I'm guessing it might be something to do with the internal dimensions:
http://www.wihatools.com/torxspec.htm
in inches, but it still doesn't make sense. Perhaps T0.5=T5, T0.6=T6?

My guess is that your are right. Either that or the tools are more
suitable for watch repairs!

Oops, forgot I'd posted this thread.

I did a bit more digging and I think it's right. T5 seems to be defined as
0.5mm flat to flat internal dimensions of the hexagon. The wihatools link
above gives point to point dimensions which are greater. So I'm guessing
that T0.5 is in fact a Torx with 0.5mm hexagon dimensions, ie a T5.

I ended up ordering some from Ebay, which should be with me soon.

Theo

Where to find Torx screwdrivers, not bits? John Doe Home Repair 11 September 7th 06 12:56 AM
More screwdrivers Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 6 May 12th 06 08:12 AM
More screwdrivers Proctologically Violated©® Home Repair 6 May 12th 06 08:12 AM
Torx screw? patrick j UK diy 5 April 17th 05 11:51 PM
Screwdrivers Doki UK diy 2 August 24th 03 08:40 PM