Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike mike is offline

Default Tiny Torx screwdrivers

On 29 Mar 2007 16:24:29 GMT, Richard Perkin
wrote:

Huge wrote in
:

On 2007-03-29, Richard Perkin wrote:
Huge wrote in news:euggoc$6cd$2
@apophis.demon.co.uk:

On 2007-03-29, Richard Perkin wrote:
" wrote in
oups.com:

On Mar 27, 10:09 pm, "Michael Chare"
wrote:
"Theo Markettos" wrote in
message

I used them for taking a DEC phone apart.

Did you do the PDP-11 at the same time?

Ahhh - happy memories!

My PDP's held together with cross-head screws...

The memories are of the PDP-11 in assorted variants (11/70,
11/40, 11/34, 11/23, 11/73...) under RSX-11M and 11S.

Ditto. Plus RSTS-E. I had an '11/24+ until a few months ago. Gave
it to Bletchley Park.

As well of memories of
reading the source code and becoming familar with the work of one
D N Cutler before he moved onwards and upwards(?).

Well, sideways.

But perhaps nostalgia ain't what it used to be

Given that a modern PC can run RSX on a PDP-11 emulator faster
than a real PDP can, I suspect so.

Indeed. Nice touch about Bletchley Park. I really should have thought
about them when I discarded some reels of DECtape and software on
fanfold paper tape from a long-gone PDP-8 when moving house last
year.

I remember that OS/8 (the operating system for the PDP-8) had a
'programmer's joke' - on 4 July it would declare independence, and
respond to all commands with the command prompt and take no other
action. Even at the time I didn't think it was acceptable, but
perhaps I was just too serious...

Now those *really* were the days - the days of 12 bit words and 6 bit
bytes.

What's this - an OS for the PDP 8?

Load the 12 instructions via the keys, and then the (real) Bootstraps
and off you go - no need for an OS ;-)