Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Excessive blowing of light bulbs

Right, about 14 months ago work was completed on a mid-terraced house that
we inherited. It was completely refurbished with a view to letting it out,
and part of the refurbishment was a complete rewire of the property.

The rewire was done by the builder (who is not a qualified electrician) but
Part P was adhered to and, on completion, the relevant Part P police from
the local BCO spent about five or six hours doing the full testing and
inspection and were happy to give it a full and clean bill of health.

The tenant we have in there rang me today (I was out so I'm working on a
garbled answering machine message here) to say that she's having a bit of a
problem with the wall lights in the back room - they keep blowing the bulbs,
which in turn trips the "fuse" (actually a 6A Type B MCB).

Each fitting has two arms and takes a 60W candle lamp in each arm. She
didn't say if it was just one fitting or both that were the problem but she
did say that in the 5 months she has been in the house, she has replaced *6*
lamps in the back room but not a single lamp in any other room of the house
has needed replacing.

Now, I know from previous postings in this group that it's not unusual, and
it's not anything to be particularly worried about, for an MCB to trip out
when a bulb blows - but what could be causing excessive blowing of bulbs in
the back room wall lights?

Cheers,

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

[...]

Damaged surface on the top of the bulbholder pins can do it. But in
most of thsese cases it turns out the user's expectations just dont
match reality. Only half of all lightbulbs make it to 1000 hours.

Today we use many more bulbs than was the case in the 70s, when 1 per
room was very common.. Hence far more bulb failures.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
John wrote:

[...]

Assuming voltage spikes (from adjacent large motors etc) have been
ruled out, as well as Euro 220v bulbs then the most common cause of
early life failure in filament bulbs is excessive vibration.
Particularly common in centre light fittings with kids bouncing
arround upstairs (I kown this is a wall light). You could suggest the
green option to her - they are far more tolerant of movement.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Each fitting has two arms and takes a 60W candle lamp in each arm.

If they're candle lamps, from what I remember they're more prone to
early failure than a standard lamp (possibly temperature related ?)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
[...]

Crap 60W candle bulbs.
I find most candles have appallingly short lifetimes and pop at the the
slightest provocation and ALWAYS trip the MCB.

Best thing is to bulk buy a decent brand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
Each fitting has two arms and takes a 60W candle lamp in each arm.

If they're candle lamps, from what I remember they're more prone to
early failure than a standard lamp (possibly temperature related ?)

And all bulbs are not created equal.

When I did my kitchen and general areas with LV downlighters, the
kitchen got 2 strips of 3 lamps.

ALL of these blew before the FIRST lamp from a different set blew.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
Each fitting has two arms and takes a 60W candle lamp in each arm.

If they're candle lamps, from what I remember they're more prone to
early failure than a standard lamp (possibly temperature related ?)

Thanks NT, Andrew and Colin for your suggestions so far. I think I should
have perhaps said that there are two wall light fittings in each of two
rooms. Then there is a 5-arm centre light fitting in each of those two
rooms, another 5-arm fitting in the hallway and another 5-arm fitting on the
landing - all of which are the same matching design, from the same
manufacturer and all bought on the same day from Homebase.

That makes a grand total of 28, 60W Candle lamps in the house but, as I said
in my original post, she is only having to replace the lamps in the back
room wall light fittings. *None* of the other candle lamps in any of the
other fittings have had to be replaced at all - in fact, none in the entire
rest of the house (a couple of 6ft twin flourescents (huge bathroom and
kitchen with 12ft ceilings) and a couple of 100W Pearl) have had to be
replaced yet.

Cheers guys,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:16:52 UTC, "John" wrote:

[...]

Are there any dimmers on these lights? I had a situation where one bulb
in a room started blowing frequently, just after I fitted an 'economy'
dimmer. As soon as I fitted a normal switch, the bulbs stopped blowing.
I later fitted an MK dimmer and all was well too.

Just an idea.
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Mar, 21:16, "John" wrote:
"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in dual.net...

Each fitting has two arms and takes a 60W candle lamp in each arm.

If they're candle lamps, from what I remember they're more prone to
early failure than a standard lamp (possibly temperature related ?)

Thanks NT, Andrew and Colin for your suggestions so far. I think I should
have perhaps said that there are two wall light fittings in each of two
rooms. Then there is a 5-arm centre light fitting in each of those two
rooms, another 5-arm fitting in the hallway and another 5-arm fitting on the
landing - all of which are the same matching design, from the same
manufacturer and all bought on the same day from Homebase.

That makes a grand total of 28, 60W Candle lamps in the house

christ

but, as I said
in my original post, she is only having to replace the lamps in the back
room wall light fittings. *None* of the other candle lamps in any of the
other fittings have had to be replaced at all - in fact, none in the entire
rest of the house (a couple of 6ft twin flourescents (huge bathroom and
kitchen with 12ft ceilings) and a couple of 100W Pearl) have had to be
replaced yet.

Cheers guys,

John.

But we dont have the data to know why. Is it because she leaves those
2 on all the time? Is it a bad set of bulbs? Are the bulbs in reality
lasting 100hrs average? Who knows. We really cant tell you whats going
on because we dont have the data. And the tenant cant realistically
expect you to tell her either.

Candles are on the whole rather fragile, because 25w filaments are so
thin. But this doesnt apply to 60w.

The short response is 95% likely that its her problem. She of course
will think otherwise, and will declare all landlords to be scumbags.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
[...]

Statistical blip.

Maybe she uses those more than any others. Maybe they are over a
radiator. Maybe its sheer coincidence. Maybe its simply a bad batch of
bulbs in those two lamps only.

Cheers guys,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Mar, 22:46, Owain wrote:

I'd not think highly of a landlord who landed me with the electricity
bill for that sort of lighting.

Owain

Well, yes, thats a done deal though. And who knows it might be high
end rental.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That makes a grand total of 28, 60W Candle lamps in the house
That's 300 watts of lighting in the hall and another 300 watts on the
landing. It's installations like that that make me support mandatory low
energy bulbs

You'd love my kitchen - it's only about 3 foot wide (plus units both
sides), but about 16 foot long. 550W of halogen light is almost enough
to let you find stuff in the cupboards with your eyes still shut :-p
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
[...]

For a different - non expert - view. I had a double spot light fitting
(small incadesent lights) that used to blow bulbs regularly. When a new
kitchen was fitted we had to bring earthing up to scratch and that light
fitting (and it's switch) was removed and then refitted Since then it's bulb
blowing behaviour has become 'normal'. It seems unlikely that the adding of
an earth was the issue (or rather the connection of an earth that was
already there to the light fitting) so I have always assumed that in
refitting the unit I eliminated some vibration, or maybe a slightly dodgy
connection. I would have thought it worth checking the mounting of the light
fitting and the integrity of the wiring.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Each fitting has two arms and takes a 60W candle lamp in each arm. She
didn't say if it was just one fitting or both that were the problem but she
did say that in the 5 months she has been in the house, she has replaced *6*
lamps in the back room but not a single lamp in any other room of the house
has needed replacing.

I have had exactly this same situation happen in the past in a
neighbours house. She used to ask me to change the bulb for her (high
ceilings). After I have done about one a month for several months (on a
light that was not used that much), I replaced the switch. That fixed it.

(We had a massive discussion about this some years back, (with a bit of
stirring from a US version of Dr. Dribble IIRC)):

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...e098de7003 e9
http://tinyurl.com/2aaf9m

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

No, there are no dimmers anywhere in the house Bob, but thanks anyway.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
"John" wrote:
Thanks NT, Andrew and Colin for your suggestions so far. I think I should
have perhaps said that there are two wall light fittings in each of two
rooms. Then there is a 5-arm centre light fitting in each of those two
rooms, another 5-arm fitting in the hallway and another 5-arm fitting on
the
landing - all of which are the same matching design, from the same
manufacturer and all bought on the same day from Homebase.
That makes a grand total of 28, 60W Candle lamps in the house

christ

That's what I said aloud, but I used the forename!

That's 300 watts of lighting in the hall and another 300 watts on the
landing. It's installations like that that make me support mandatory low
energy bulbs, even though according to one of the newspapers today we're
all going to be poisoned by the mercury in them when they get landfilled
because there is no proper disposal for them.

5-arm fittings are a bit awkward because it's difficult to run them on
split load without them looking uneven. 6-arms can be wired to light up
2-3-4-6 lights and still look balanced:

00 *0 **
* * 0 * 0 0
00 *0 **

Using a combination of Marvel switches from Lundberg.

The short response is 95% likely that its her problem. She of course
will think otherwise, and will declare all landlords to be scumbags.

I'd not think highly of a landlord who landed me with the electricity bill
for that sort of lighting.

Owain

Owain, I know your replies in this group are normally helpful but lets not
dwell on the environmental or cost of leccy bill aspect please as it'll help
no-one. First of all, the tenant can choose to populate all lampholders or
not; she can also choose to do it with 60W or 25W lamps, candle or
otherwise, I really don't care.

This is a Victorian mid-terraced house with 12ft high ceilings and a dark
hallway/landing even though the walls are a light beige colour. The light
fittings we chose are both appropriate and functional for the property, and
are well suited to the character and decor of the property - none of which
matter in the context of my question.

I am merely looking for possible reasons as to why the wall light fittings
in the back room should blow bulbs so frequently. As I stated, the builder
is not a qualified electrician but is a good and concientious worker. He
seemed to know - and follow - all the rules and regulations and we got the
Part P police from the local BCO to inspect at first fix and then they spent
five or six hours doing the final testing and inspection before declaring a
perfectly good rewire, so I'm looking for ideas as to what could be wrong or
what I should be testing for.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
John wrote:

Each fitting has two arms and takes a 60W candle lamp in each arm. She
didn't say if it was just one fitting or both that were the problem but
she did say that in the 5 months she has been in the house, she has
replaced *6* lamps in the back room but not a single lamp in any other
room of the house has needed replacing.

I have had exactly this same situation happen in the past in a neighbours
house. She used to ask me to change the bulb for her (high ceilings).
After I have done about one a month for several months (on a light that
was not used that much), I replaced the switch. That fixed it.

(We had a massive discussion about this some years back, (with a bit of
stirring from a US version of Dr. Dribble IIRC)):

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...e098de7003 e9
http://tinyurl.com/2aaf9m

Thanks John, I reckon that I'll change the switch and see if that improves
the situation. It's got to be worth a try for the cost of a 2-gang switch,
to keep the tenant happy.

Cheers,

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:46:34 +0100 someone who may be Owain
wrote this:-

That's 300 watts of lighting in the hall and another 300 watts on the
landing. It's installations like that that make me support mandatory low
energy bulbs, even though according to one of the newspapers today we're
all going to be poisoned by the mercury in them when they get landfilled
because there is no proper disposal for them.

I would suggest an experiment with a few energy saving candle bulbs
to see if they "always blow".

There are now small golf ball type lights and a host of other shapes
available as energy saving bulbs and it would be worth fitting these
slowly as a means of not making the electricity meter spin like a
catherine wheel.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:

There are now small golf ball type lights and a host of other shapes
available as energy saving bulbs

Known as the Satan option - he's the Prince of Darkness.

and it would be worth fitting these slowly as a means of not making the
electricity meter spin like a catherine wheel.

So if you fit a lightbulb quickly it makes the electricity meter spin
like a catherine wheel?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy McKenzie wrote:
[...]

One thing that no one else has raised - which way up are these bulbs?
Are they the same way up as the ones that don't die so frequently?

Cap down will not last so long as cap up in my experience.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-28 12:56:13 +0100, David Hansen

wrote this:-

That's 300 watts of lighting in the hall and another 300 watts on the
landing. It's installations like that that make me support mandatory low
energy bulbs, even though according to one of the newspapers today we're
all going to be poisoned by the mercury in them when they get landfilled
because there is no proper disposal for them.

I would suggest an experiment with a few energy saving candle bulbs
to see if they "always blow".

Drop them on the floor, they do so quite effectively.

There are now small golf ball type lights and a host of other shapes
available as energy saving bulbs and it would be worth fitting these
slowly as a means of not making the electricity meter spin like a
catherine wheel.

Does it make a difference to the dingy, bilious light from these if you
fit them slowly rather than quickly?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Andy McKenzie wrote:
[...]

Cap down, as they all are. And, being as my taste and judgement in buying
from Homebase were called into question in an earlier posting, here's a
photo - if anyone's interested - of one of the wall fittings
http://www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/IMGP1169.JPG It's not a very good piccie but
we took a video diary of the renovations and this is one of the few stills
we have.

And no, they are not designed to have lightshades fitted )

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Er:

At the risk of sounding dumb, and coming to this thread rather late; and
having also wondered about that sparking switch idea; never the less:

You say no other lamps have needed to be replaced? Therefore, this person
has one box of replacement lamps, going into one fitting: she has not had
to replace any lamps anywhere else so how does she know that her box of
replacements would fare better in any of the other fittings? Like this, it
doesn't sound mysterious at all!

Sounds a simple case of crap lamps; and 60W candle ones are, in my
experience very short lived in any case. I expect, you as landlord, started
out with better lamps than the ones the tenant has bought as replacements.
______________________

Incidentally, I'd like to be able to replace the candles on our 5 armed
'candelabra's with dimmable CFLs, but checking a price for the Megamans - 5
for ~£75 - I don't think there will be many takers! Shame, because it seems
really dumb to use (in our case) 200W, where 35W would have been quite
sufficient.

"John" wrote in message

"John Rumm" wrote in message
John wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:13:19 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall
wrote this:-

Does it make a difference to the dingy, bilious light

Repeat your incorrect assertions as many times as you like. They
perhaps tell us something about you, but don't tell us much about
energy saving bulbs.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:15:44 +0100 someone who may be "John"
wrote this:-

Cap down, as they all are. And, being as my taste and judgement in buying
from Homebase were called into question in an earlier posting, here's a
photo - if anyone's interested - of one of the wall fittings
http://www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/IMGP1169.JPG It's not a very good piccie but
we took a video diary of the renovations and this is one of the few stills
we have.

And no, they are not designed to have lightshades fitted )

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...t.asp?Prod=105 should
fit nicely.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Does it make a difference to the dingy, bilious light

Repeat your incorrect assertions as many times as you like. They
perhaps tell us something about you, but don't tell us much about
energy saving bulbs.

Perhaps he should add "produced by all the examples I have seen to far"
to the end of the sentence. Would you be happy then?

It certainly seems to correlate with my experience of them so far - I
have yet to find any with acceptable colour rendition. Which is
surprising really since there are plenty of strip fluorescents that I
find ok.

Give us a brand and model that you think is OK colour wise, and I will
specifically go and get one to try. That way I can work out if I have
thus far just seen examples of poor ones, or your colour perception is
just different to mine.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Cap down, as they all are. And, being as my taste and judgement in buying
from Homebase were called into question in an earlier posting, here's a
photo - if anyone's interested - of one of the wall fittings
http://www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/IMGP1169.JPG It's not a very good piccie
but
we took a video diary of the renovations and this is one of the few stills
we have.

And no, they are not designed to have lightshades fitted )

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...t.asp?Prod=105 should
fit nicely.

Thanks for that David, I shall let our tenant know about those but it is, of
course, her decision in the end. I have to say that I would not go anywhere
near them because, as I have said many times in the past in this ng, I
absolutely detest the damn things - and I'm quite happy to acknowledge that
it's my eyes at fault rather than the lamps themselves, but I find them
absolutely useless.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen typed

wrote this:-

Does it make a difference to the dingy, bilious light

Repeat your incorrect assertions as many times as you like. They
perhaps tell us something about you, but don't tell us much about
energy saving bulbs.

Who says his assertions are incorrect? I now have two of these
abominations installed on my stairs. I'm in no hurry to buy any more.
The light is puky and induces glumness and nausea.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

[...]

The later ones are markedly better.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen typed

wrote this:-

Does it make a difference to the dingy, bilious light

Repeat your incorrect assertions as many times as you like. They
perhaps tell us something about you, but don't tell us much about
energy saving bulbs.

Who says his assertions are incorrect? I now have two of these
abominations installed on my stairs. I'm in no hurry to buy any more.
The light is puky and induces glumness and nausea.

As I said. later ones are getting better. I am no fan but I have been
able to find some that are pretty indistinguishable from normal lamps,
but only in the last year or so. Older ones are as you describe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

They're all Philips ones. 99p from John Lewis.

Oddly the last ones I tried were Philips... (probably about 5 years ago
mind you). At the time they took too long to archive useful output, and
the colour rendition was just "odd" to my eyes.

Anyone tried any of the GU10 CFLs? We have four of those in the kitchen
that might be appropriate for replacement if a suitable alternative was
available.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-29 08:43:04 +0100, David Hansen

wrote this:-

Does it make a difference to the dingy, bilious light

Repeat your incorrect assertions as many times as you like. They
perhaps tell us something about you, but don't tell us much about
energy saving bulbs.

Can you recommend a bulb that genuinely does not look dingy and has a
decent colour rendition?

Are you willing to fund my trying it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:30:11 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall
wrote this:-

Can you recommend a bulb that genuinely does not look dingy and has a
decent colour rendition?

Yes.

However, I have no doubt at all that you would claim it was horrible
and a small number of people would support you. That would not
demonstrate anything about the output of the bulbs.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Can you recommend a bulb that genuinely does not look dingy and has a
decent colour rendition?

Yes.

Well go on then!

In particular:

Standard GLS envelope type bulb in BC and ES fittings
GU10 mains halogen replacement (does not need to be an exact match form
factor)

However, I have no doubt at all that you would claim it was horrible
and a small number of people would support you. That would not
demonstrate anything about the output of the bulbs.

From my point of view that would depend on what the light from it looks
like. I have no "agenda" here - just previous experience of CFLs that
lead me to believe they were something I would not want to give house
room to. You claim they are better now; ok, so let me know which you
think is the best (fast warm up, natural light output without massive
gaps in the spectra, equivalent light output to a real bulb etc), and I
will try one.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-30 07:29:14 +0100, David Hansen

wrote this:-

Can you recommend a bulb that genuinely does not look dingy and has a
decent colour rendition?

Yes.

However, I have no doubt at all that you would claim it was horrible
and a small number of people would support you. That would not
demonstrate anything about the output of the bulbs.

So you're not willing to put your money where your mouth is. OK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Ian is offline

wrote this:-

Can you recommend a bulb that genuinely does not look dingy and has a
decent colour rendition?

Yes.

However, I have no doubt at all that you would claim it was horrible
and a small number of people would support you. That would not
demonstrate anything about the output of the bulbs.

I would REALLY like a recommendation for a GLS lookalike BC low energy
bulb that has an equivalent output to 100W incandescent and good
colour rendition. I am more than happy to fund the purchase myself(!)
I tried some about 15 months ago and ended up giving them away - now,
for a Yorkshireman that means they were really bad!
They were Philips.
any offers?
TIA
Ian
Please reply to group - email address is not monitored
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ian writes:

I would REALLY like a recommendation for a GLS lookalike BC low energy
bulb that has an equivalent output to 100W incandescent

Look for something around 25W, and ignore the equivalent power
given on the packaging. Give it time to warm up before judging.
You won't find a CFL equivalent to 100W which is similar size
to a GLS. They are getting smaller, but haven't got that far
yet.

and good colour rendition.

That's a personal thing, and depends what you are using it for.

I am more than happy to fund the purchase myself(!)
I tried some about 15 months ago and ended up giving them away - now,
for a Yorkshireman that means they were really bad!
They were Philips.

The CFL products are still moving on quite quickly. What you
bought a year or more ago does not represent the best of what's
available today.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy McKenzie
writes

For a different - non expert - view. I had a double spot light fitting
(small incadesent lights) that used to blow bulbs regularly. When a new
kitchen was fitted we had to bring earthing up to scratch and that light
fitting (and it's switch) was removed and then refitted Since then it's bulb
blowing behaviour has become 'normal'.

Did you change the switch? Older and cheap switches have contact
bounce, which I think has a major effect on bulb lifetime.

--
(\__/) Bunny says NO to Windows Vista!
(='.'=) http://www.badvista.org/