Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 12 volt bulbs blowing.

While waiting for a 3k system to be installed on my roof, I've bought
a small kit from www.solartechnology.co.uk consisting of a relativly
small 10W panel, 2 12v low energy bulbs - 9W and some cable. I also
bought a 12 v caravan battery ( the company who supplied the kit
advised a caravan battery to be the best) from halfords size 110ah I
think it is. Big thing.I am having problems with the bulbs blowing -
and at £13.99 a time they ain't cheap !
The first bulb I set up came on for a few mins, then died. I replaced
it with the other, and this has now been working for up to an hour at
a time, although there is still after 2 weeks a slight smell of
burning, and the bulb gets very hot - much hotter I think than the
240v energy saving bulbs I have around the house.I sent the failed
bulb back, and the company changed it no problem.I put this in, and it
too came on for a couple of mins, then died. I wondered if there could
be too much voltage coming from the battery.I have a multi meter, and
put it across my bulb sockets. 12 volts on both of them, so I guess
that rules out over powering ( I guess that wouldn't be possible
anyway on a car battery - or can it indeed chuck out more than 12
volts ?) I am not sure what else to do. Could it be another faulty
bulb, or what else should I try please ?
Thanks to all.
www.chrisreardon.co.uk
Daily Net Radio Show
Monday - Thursday 4pm - 5pm UK TIME

Weekly Talk Show at :
www.unitedkingdomtalk.co.uk
at www.offshoremusicradio.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A 12 volt battery needs more than 12 volts to charge it. 13.8 volts is
the usual charging voltage for automotive batteries and car lamps are
designed to cope with that. ( They are noticably dimmer when the engine
isn't running). Domestic bulbs are designed to work at 12 volts and
13.8volt working would shorten their life, but not a dramatically as
you describe.

What type of charge controller does the panel have?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fit Lad Berkshire wrote:

[...]

Bad batch of bulbs. Not really anything else it can be, unless youve
got them in enclosed fittings. Odd that youre only getting 12v at the
bulb sockets, your batteries must be half flat, or the wiring too thin.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The panel is only 10 watts, so does not have a charge controller.
Interestingly, if you put the meter across the battery - you get 12
volts.If you put the meter across the output of the panel, you get
about 16 volts - BUT if you put the meter across the battery while the
panel is connected to it - you get 12 volts. the battery must somehow
even things out.
On 23 Sep 2006 11:15:49 -0700, "dcbwhaley" wrote:

A 12 volt battery needs more than 12 volts to charge it. 13.8 volts is
the usual charging voltage for automotive batteries and car lamps are
designed to cope with that. ( They are noticably dimmer when the engine
isn't running). Domestic bulbs are designed to work at 12 volts and
13.8volt working would shorten their life, but not a dramatically as
you describe.

What type of charge controller does the panel have?

www.chrisreardon.co.uk
Daily Net Radio Show
Monday - Thursday 4pm - 5pm UK TIME

Weekly Talk Show at :
www.unitedkingdomtalk.co.uk
at www.offshoremusicradio.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes. I too think it's a problem with the bulbs.
Why do you think I should be getting more than 12 volts from the
sockets ? I am getting the same connecting directly to the battery. It
is a 12v battery.

On 23 Sep 2006 13:26:24 -0700, wrote:

Fit Lad Berkshire wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fit Lad Berkshire writes:
The panel is only 10 watts, so does not have a charge controller.
Interestingly, if you put the meter across the battery - you get 12
volts.If you put the meter across the output of the panel, you get
about 16 volts - BUT if you put the meter across the battery while the
panel is connected to it - you get 12 volts. the battery must somehow
even things out.

It will until it's fully charged. Without a charge controller, it will
then attempt to overcharge the battery. Most SLA batteries will start
degrading quite quickly when this happens -- electrolyte dry out, and/or
battery swell and split. They do have a catalyst to recombine the
hydrogen and oxygen, but I don't think they are designed to handle the
volumes generated by over charging gassing. There may be SLA batteries
specially designed for this purpose.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fit Lad Berkshire has brought this to us :
I also
bought a 12 v caravan battery ( the company who supplied the kit
advised a caravan battery to be the best) from halfords size 110ah I
think it is. Big thing.I am having problems with the bulbs blowing -
and at £13.99 a time they ain't cheap !
The first bulb I set up came on for a few mins, then died. I replaced
it with the other, and this has now been working for up to an hour at
a time, although there is still after 2 weeks a slight smell of
burning, and the bulb gets very hot - much hotter I think than the
240v energy saving bulbs I have around the house.I

Perhaps the lamps are designed for an actual (or exact) 12v, as would
be supplied by a transformer - rather than a batteries 12v?

A fully charged 12v battery, not actually being charged at the time of
measurement, should show around 12.6v with no load applied. A battery
charging towards the end of its recharge cycle should show around
14.4v. A fully charged battery on a maintenance charge should measure
around 13.8v. A modern charge controller system should be able to
switch itself automaically between the recharge and maintenance charge
cycle.

How accurately are you able to measure the voltage - the numbers after
the decimal point are important?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fit Lad Berkshire wrote:
[...]

fit a regulator on the output anyhoo, DC-DC convertor should do you
know the bulbs are being fed by a regulated supply then, What is the
voltage at switch on, does it surge?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Fit Lad Berkshire writes:

The panel is only 10 watts, so does not have a charge controller.
Interestingly, if you put the meter across the battery - you get 12
volts.If you put the meter across the output of the panel, you get
about 16 volts - BUT if you put the meter across the battery while the
panel is connected to it - you get 12 volts. the battery must somehow
even things out.

It will until it's fully charged. Without a charge controller, it will
then attempt to overcharge the battery. Most SLA batteries will start
degrading quite quickly when this happens -- electrolyte dry out, and/or
battery swell and split. They do have a catalyst to recombine the
hydrogen and oxygen, but I don't think they are designed to handle the
volumes generated by over charging gassing. There may be SLA batteries
specially designed for this purpose.

True, but with a 10w panel and 2 bulbs, or a battery reading 12v it
sounds like its not getting as far as fully charged. And it'll only be
used short term. Also absence of any controller is ok longer term if
charge rate is less than C/?, where I cant remember ?, but 10 or 20
iirc.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fit Lad Berkshire wrote:

Yes. I too think it's a problem with the bulbs.
Why do you think I should be getting more than 12 volts from the
sockets ? I am getting the same connecting directly to the battery. It
is a 12v battery.

12v lead acid batteries arent really 12v batteries, 13v batteries would
be a closer description. So what the bulbs will do on 13.2v I dont
know, but it sounds like theyre a bad lot.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Fit Lad Berkshire writes:

[...]

If the output of the panel is 16volts and the voltage of the battery is
12volts then the 4 volts is been lost in the wiring which is acting as
the "charge controller". But I am very surprised to find that a lead
acid battery under charge is only showing 12volts.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry it's just an old multimeter I have. I set it on 25v setting, and
the needle goes just under half way across. I have now ordered a
couple of caravan lights to see how they go. It says they are tolerant
12 - 16v.
www.chrisreardon.co.uk
Twice weekly music & talk show
Monday & Tuesday 4pm - 5pm UK TIME at :
www.offshoremusicradio.com (or catch the podcast of the same shows at :
http://chrisreardon1.libsyn.com/ )
Weekly Talk Show at :
www.unitedkingdomtalk.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No surge mate. Where would I get such a regulator ? Do you know of a
site in the UK I could order one from if the caravan lights don't work
?
www.chrisreardon.co.uk
Twice weekly music & talk show
Monday & Tuesday 4pm - 5pm UK TIME at :
www.offshoremusicradio.com (or catch the podcast of the same shows at :
http://chrisreardon1.libsyn.com/ )
Weekly Talk Show at :
www.unitedkingdomtalk.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fit Lad Berkshire wrote:
No surge mate. Where would I get such a regulator ? Do you know of a
site in the UK I could order one from if the caravan lights don't work
?
www.chrisreardon.co.uk
Twice weekly music & talk show
Monday & Tuesday 4pm - 5pm UK TIME at :
www.offshoremusicradio.com (or catch the podcast of the same shows at :
http://chrisreardon1.libsyn.com/ )
Weekly Talk Show at :
www.unitedkingdomtalk.co.uk

Sommat like this would do the job, this will only supply 30watt but if
you call the RS helpline (usually very good) they might point you in
the direction of a higher power version :-)

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/se... cacheID=ukie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fit Lad Berkshire wrote:
No surge mate. Where would I get such a regulator ? Do you know of a
site in the UK I could order one from if the caravan lights don't work
?
www.chrisreardon.co.uk
Twice weekly music & talk show
Monday & Tuesday 4pm - 5pm UK TIME at :
www.offshoremusicradio.com (or catch the podcast of the same shows at :
http://chrisreardon1.libsyn.com/ )
Weekly Talk Show at :
www.unitedkingdomtalk.co.uk

Big guns here !!

http://www.powerstream.com/dc-buck-boost.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dcbwhaley" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Fit Lad Berkshire writes:

[...]

Did the OP meant 16v across the cells when _not_ connected to the battery?
If so then the 4v would be lost in the internal resistance of the cells plus
that of the cable, not just in the cable.
Phil