Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need help with blowing fuses in light or light switch

I used to have a fan/light that would blow a fuse evertime i messed
with replacing bulbs or adjusting the light. So the switch was
disconnect and the fan/light has not been used for over a year. I
decided to replace the fan with a florecent light. so I took down the
old light connected the white to white black to black and green to
green. But when i went to reconnect the switch I am connfused as to
which wires need to be reconnected. in the light box I have a white
and green wire coming up into the switch and a red, black, and white
coming in from the top. the two white wires are tied together. so that
leaves me with a red black and green wire to connect to the switch. I
measured the voltage accros the wires and black/red is 1.2v, black/
green is 70v, and green/red is 120v. I thought it should have been
the green on one end of the switch and red on the other so there would
be 120 accross the switch but this blew the fuse again. does this mean
there is something wrong with the wiring some were else or maybe the
switch or new light are broken, or did i just not connect everything
correctly. Can somebody explain how this should normally look and any
way I can trace out the proper wiring. Also this light is in the
garage that was converted to a room. thanks for all the help in
advance and if you need any more info please let me know.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I don't know how to translate this statement:
"in the light box I have a white
and green wire coming up into the switch and a red, black, and white
coming in from the top. the two white wires are tied together" Is this in
the U.S.?

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It sounds like it has fan and light wires. You will need to kill any
unused wires. You also would be wise to find out what was shorting out and
make sure it is fixed or removed and not assume it was the fixture.

From your question I would suggest that there are too many questions for
this job to be done without safety concerns. You may want to turn this over
to a pro who can do it very quickly unless there is a real problem that you
are missing.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
|I used to have a fan/light that would blow a fuse evertime i messed
| with replacing bulbs or adjusting the light. So the switch was
| disconnect and the fan/light has not been used for over a year. I
| decided to replace the fan with a florecent light. so I took down the
| old light connected the white to white black to black and green to
| green. But when i went to reconnect the switch I am connfused as to
| which wires need to be reconnected. in the light box I have a white
| and green wire coming up into the switch and a red, black, and white
| coming in from the top. the two white wires are tied together. so that
| leaves me with a red black and green wire to connect to the switch.

the old fan/light wires (white,black,green,red) were for switching
fan/light independantly.
the new light wires (white,black,green)
cap and tape the red wire, it will not be used for single pole switch.

not to say that the "hot" red wire can't be used instead of the black
but you will have to do the same in the light box.

| measured the voltage accros the wires and black/red is 1.2v, black/
| green is 70v, and green/red is 120v. I thought it should have been
| the green on one end of the switch and red on the other so there would
| be 120 accross the switch but this blew the fuse again.

black and red wires should both be "hot" wires for switching fan or
light independantly.

does this mean
| there is something wrong with the wiring some were else or maybe the
| switch or new light are broken, or did i just not connect everything
| correctly.

not correct wiring

Can somebody explain how this should normally look and any
| way I can trace out the proper wiring. Also this light is in the
| garage that was converted to a room. thanks for all the help in
| advance and if you need any more info please let me know.

this may help
http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switc...nsepswitch.htm