Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How much gas leaked?

Last month I had my annual Landlord's Gas Safety Inspection. They
found and fixed a small gas leak. Yesterday the tenents said their
gas bill was a lot larger than they expected. How much gas is likely
to have leaked? Enough to have a significant effect on the billable
amount?

Thanks

--
JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 20, 3:58 pm, wrote:
Last month I had my annual Landlord's Gas Safety Inspection. They
found and fixed a small gas leak. Yesterday the tenents said their
gas bill was a lot larger than they expected. How much gas is likely
to have leaked? Enough to have a significant effect on the billable
amount?

You could Google this newsgroup for figures on the consumption of
something as small as a pilot light, which I would imagine might be
similar to a "small leak" (but probably larger). It's more gas than
you might think.

Where was the leak ? If it was indoors, and no-one smelled anything,
chances are it was really tiny.

Could be your tenants are trying it on.

--
"Every purchase has its price."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Last month I had my annual Landlord's Gas Safety Inspection. They
found and fixed a small gas leak. Yesterday the tenents said their
gas bill was a lot larger than they expected. How much gas is likely
to have leaked? Enough to have a significant effect on the billable
amount?

Thanks

--
JGH

Given the rise in gas prices I would check that they do mean their
consumption was higher rather than the price they were charged!! ... if
they didn't smell it then it probably wasn't very much.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Last month I had my annual Landlord's Gas Safety Inspection. They
found and fixed a small gas leak. Yesterday the tenents said their
gas bill was a lot larger than they expected. How much gas is likely
to have leaked?

Near as dammit nil. Anything big enough to affect the quarterly bill would
stink the place out and kill everyone in it.
--
The internet. It's not a big truck.
It's a series of tubes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:18:46 -0000, "Dave Baker"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Last month I had my annual Landlord's Gas Safety Inspection. They
found and fixed a small gas leak. Yesterday the tenents said their
gas bill was a lot larger than they expected. How much gas is likely
to have leaked?

Near as dammit nil. Anything big enough to affect the quarterly bill would
stink the place out and
kill everyone in it.

Only if it exploded surely ??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Stuart B
writes
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:18:46 -0000, "Dave Baker"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Last month I had my annual Landlord's Gas Safety Inspection. They
found and fixed a small gas leak. Yesterday the tenents said their
gas bill was a lot larger than they expected. How much gas is likely
to have leaked?

Near as dammit nil. Anything big enough to affect the quarterly bill would
stink the place out and
kill everyone in it.

Only if it exploded surely ??

It could have suffocated a small child on a bunk bed in a draught free room . . .
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Mar, 16:12, "John Laird" wrote:
found and fixed a small gas leak. Yesterday the tenents said their
gas bill was a lot larger than they expected. How much gas is likely

Where was the leak ? If it was indoors, and no-one smelled anything,
chances are it was really tiny.

Could be your tenants are trying it on.

The plumbers detected the leak when servicing using their
thermometer thingy they connect to the meter. I couldn't
smell anything, the plumbers couldn't smell anything, but
the tenents said they thought they could smell something.

Having another look today I noticed the tenents have set the
clock to turn the heating on every fifteen minutes through the
night. That's probably why their bill is so high. When I had it
installed I set it to 07:00-09:00 + 17:00-22:00. They have it
effectively running almost 24 hours a day!

--
JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Mar, 18:45, fred wrote:
Only if it exploded surely ??

It could have suffocated a small child on a bunk bed in a draught free room . . .

Boiler (and the leak) is (was) in the kitchen, main house entrance.

--
JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 08:58:16 -0700, jgh wrote:

Last month I had my annual Landlord's Gas Safety Inspection. They
found and fixed a small gas leak. Yesterday the tenents said their
gas bill was a lot larger than they expected. How much gas is likely
to have leaked? Enough to have a significant effect on the billable
amount?

If they weren't smelling the leak and all the pipes are internal then the
leak could not have been that big.

Since you had the gas tested only 12 months before then they would have to
show that there annual actual (not estimated) consumption was vastly
different. If they can make a good case (unlikely) and if they are model
tenants (?) and if you wish to keep them happy (?) then you might be
lenient. It could make them more cooperative on something you need their
help with. However the most likely case is they are trying it on; they
signed the bit that says "...to pay or indemnify the landlord against all
such charges ... as arise ... gas.... " ; end of story.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How much gas leaked? OT

fred wrote:

Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

I've wondered what that signature means for ages - enlighten me please?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The
Medway Handyman writes
fred wrote:

Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

I've wondered what that signature means for ages - enlighten me please?

It's descriptive, it took me ages to think of a way of describing them
without using expletives.

As an ISP I regard them as fine if you wish to surf (lightly) and do little
else. They are offering only one flavour, hence vanilla (only). Raspberry
ripple and (heaven forbid) chocolate flavours are only available elsewhere.

The full explanation of why I think they are a bad ISP (for non vanilla use) is
best found on the google archives of uk.telecom.broadband but there is so
much rabid opinion posted about them that here's my take from late 2005:

"There is a degree of bad feeling against them as they have been shown to
vary their terms of service dramatically and without notice. Earlier this year
they reduced the cost of their premium 2Mbit service from (IIRC) 29.99 to
21.99 in an attempt to boost their client base (which has doubled) but they
appear to have done little to prepare their network for the resulting increase
in traffic. The result was a frantic scrabble to control bandwidth at peak
times which left some with connection speeds little better than dial-up. In
my own experience, my moderate use of usenet was throttled, without
notice, such that access to this and other groups was painfully slow.
Technical support blanked complaints of slow connections until it was
finally admitted that access to all external news providers was being
restricted, in my opinion a total lack of honesty and openness.

As a light user you may not experience any of the problems that can arise
with Plusnet but my experience suggests an outfit that is not to be trusted
and who I would not recommend to anyone."

IMO, little has changed.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 20, 3:58 pm, wrote:
Last month I had my annual Landlord's Gas Safety Inspection. They
found and fixed a small gas leak. Yesterday the tenents said their
gas bill was a lot larger than they expected. How much gas is likely
to have leaked? Enough to have a significant effect on the billable
amount?

How much was their bill? £200? £2000?

I once left a gas fire on for 24 hours, unlit, and I couldn't smell
anything at all, presumably because the gas was going up the chimney.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 20, 3:58 pm, wrote:
Last month I had my annual Landlord's Gas Safety Inspection. They
found and fixed a small gas leak. Yesterday the tenents said their
gas bill was a lot larger than they expected. How much gas is likely
to have leaked? Enough to have a significant effect on the billable
amount?

If they're staying put, tell them you'll monitor the actual usage for
the next 12 months of their tenancy and if there's a material
difference (say 20%) compared with the past 12 months consumption,
then you'll refund them (or not).

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Mar, 15:36, "
wrote:
On Mar 20, 3:58 pm, wrote:

Last month I had my annual Landlord's Gas Safety Inspection. They
found and fixed a small gas leak. Yesterday the tenents said their
gas bill was a lot larger than they expected. How much gas is likely
to have leaked? Enough to have a significant effect on the billable
amount?

If they're staying put, tell them you'll monitor the actual usage for
the next 12 months of their tenancy and if there's a material
difference (say 20%) compared with the past 12 months consumption,
then you'll refund them (or not).

MBQ

I hope the utility companies don't start going down that route!

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Mar 2007 08:36:29 -0700, "
mused:

On Mar 20, 3:58 pm, wrote:
Last month I had my annual Landlord's Gas Safety Inspection. They
found and fixed a small gas leak. Yesterday the tenents said their
gas bill was a lot larger than they expected. How much gas is likely
to have leaked? Enough to have a significant effect on the billable
amount?

If they're staying put, tell them you'll monitor the actual usage for
the next 12 months of their tenancy and if there's a material
difference (say 20%) compared with the past 12 months consumption,
then you'll refund them (or not).

I wouldn't. They may decide to not use any gas for 12 Months, or if
they've been informed about their wasteful use of resources by having
the heating on through the night then they may turn that off, or down.
All depends what they're like as tenants, if they're a PITA tell them
to get bent, if they're worth keeping then bung them a few quid to
keep them sweet. Just say you can't really calculate whether or not
the leak would have made any difference to the bill and slip them 20
quid.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:

On 21 Mar 2007 08:36:29 -0700, "
mused:

If they're staying put, tell them you'll monitor the actual usage for
the next 12 months of their tenancy and if there's a material
difference (say 20%) compared with the past 12 months consumption,
then you'll refund them (or not).

I wouldn't. They may decide to not use any gas for 12 Months, or if
they've been informed about their wasteful use of resources by having
the heating on through the night then they may turn that off, or down.
All depends what they're like as tenants, if they're a PITA tell them
to get bent, if they're worth keeping then bung them a few quid to
keep them sweet. Just say you can't really calculate whether or not
the leak would have made any difference to the bill and slip them 20
quid.

I'm not sure that's wise; it could be seen as an admission of
liability, leading to much worse aggro.