Posted to alt.home.repair
Trout-hunter

Default Toilet leaked - ceiling below

20 year old house and the toilet had been rocking. After a use,
noticed water leaking from ceiling below. Went to pull the toilet and
screws corroded and pulled right out.

Replacing the toilet today. Reviewed wax ring and toilet installation.

Is there a true need to pull out drywall from ceiling below to analize
leak damage? From the look of the screws, it has been going on for a
while.

Or, just replace toilet, patch water damage and move on?

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

You should at minimum replace the wetted drywall. Mold loves damp
drywall, especially the paper backing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

if it's been going on for a while, might be dry rot.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...
if it's been going on for a while, might be dry rot.

If the screws pulled out, this is very likely. At the least,
OP needs to get a firm mount for the screws.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd go under the drywall for a look. If it's been going on for awhile
the subfloor may be trashed.

We had a similiar problem at our place. A bad original plumbing job
had the drain at an angle coming up to the floor and half the flange
unsupported by wood (the gomer used a hole saw and cut a cloverleaf
shape too big for the flange so part of it was just floating).
Eventually the seal broke from the wobbly installation, flange rusted,
leaked into the subfloor, and made a hell of a mess.

We had to cut out a chunk of the floor and replace it, sister the
joists under it and replumb the drain with a new flange.

If you don't fix it right the whole mess may not be stable and the seal
won't hold. If it's bad enough the toilet could come through the floor.

Since you have to patch the wet drywall anyway I'd take a look under it
to see what's going on.

Liz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18 Nov 2005 09:02:02 -0800, "BobK207" wrote:

if it's been going on for a while, might be dry rot.

cheers
Bob

Wouldn't that be WET rot?

Ceiling Fan Steve Home Repair 0 August 7th 05 05:59 PM
Modeling an air heater with a massy ceiling Nick Pine Home Repair 4 January 5th 05 01:03 PM
Ceiling fans simply pull toilet odors and airborne germs up into the air Bill Berdux Home Repair 11 January 6th 04 03:22 PM
Extending electrical box on ceiling fixtures?? Ray Home Repair 3 November 23rd 03 01:50 AM
Run on toilet paper predicted Stormin Mormon Home Repair 12 October 30th 03 07:48 PM