Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q Air Con (This time with a working link)

Did any one of you buy this unit? Or can give me information about how
good it is?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...=1173114438302

I live in London in a 1 bed basement flat.
The bed-room window is very small and the living room window is big
but if I open the window it can get very noise.
I did not spent a summer in the flat so I don't know what to expect
but it look's like there is no sufficient ventilation.

I don't want to buy an air con that will not work.

Can't install a permanent one

Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It looks very similar to one my father bought about three years ago. I
think he got it from B&Q. If not them, it was a near competitor.
His has worked well since we installed it. Much better than the type
that expel hot air through a hose.
Do remember that the outside part is very visible and may attract
attention.
You will need to drill and sleeve a large hole in the wall for the
umbilical hose. Don't skimp on the diameter as it makes fitting the
hose difficult. You then need to seal the hole around the hose to stop
draughts, rodents, etc.
Although the two halves are on a quick release connector that self
seals, you loose a small amount of refrigerant every time you
disconnect. Try to avaiod doing this as much as possible.
My father has been pleased with his. No more swealtering hot summer
days. He's in his 80's and can't take that too well now.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The part that you snipped stated "Can't install a permanent one" and the
link that was supplied leads to a mobile one.
It sounds different to what you are describing!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Golan" wrote in message
ups.com...

Did any one of you buy this unit? Or can give me information about how
good it is?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...=1173114438302

I live in London in a 1 bed basement flat.
The bed-room window is very small and the living room window is big
but if I open the window it can get very noise.
I did not spent a summer in the flat so I don't know what to expect
but it look's like there is no sufficient ventilation.

I don't want to buy an air con that will not work.

Can't install a permanent one

It looks similar to one I have in France, which can pull a room down to
around 20C with 35C outside. The umbilical on mine would need a 50mm hole
through the wall, so I simply hang it through a part open window. However,
the fan is intrusive, especially at night, and I have found that similar
comfort levels can be achieved, with less noise, by a slow-running ceiling
fan mounted over the bed.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Mar 2007 04:56:34 -0700, "Golan" wrote:

Did any one of you buy this unit? Or can give me information about how
good it is?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...=1173114438302

I live in London in a 1 bed basement flat.
The bed-room window is very small and the living room window is big
but if I open the window it can get very noise.
I did not spent a summer in the flat so I don't know what to expect
but it look's like there is no sufficient ventilation.

I don't want to buy an air con that will not work.

Can't install a permanent one

Cheers.

I have a similar sized one (Amcor I think) and it will make the room I
used it in "icy" but it is VERY noisy.

Mark S.

B&Q Air Con Golan UK diy 0 March 20th 07 11:54 AM
Air Con Golan UK diy 7 March 12th 07 09:55 AM
Air coolers (not Air Con) - any good ? paulfoel UK diy 14 July 13th 05 03:34 PM
Air con Simon Gardner UK diy 28 May 30th 05 09:51 PM