Simon Gardner

Default Air con

There doesn't seem to have been an air con discussion for a bit. Mine has
been on for a few days now. Lovely. I guess it will get turned off in
October.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Simon Gardner wrote:
There doesn't seem to have been an air con discussion for a bit. Mine has
been on for a few days now. Lovely. I guess it will get turned off in
October.

Cue the "Sort out the cause rather than combating the symptoms" posts.

Saying that..... Just got a hire car with no aircon. Glad it's going
back on Tuesday!

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Tony Bryer

In article , Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
Saying that..... Just got a hire car with no aircon. Glad it's
going back on Tuesday!

If you'd got a car with aircon it would have been a cold wet weekend
- so we all thank you for this lovely sunshine!

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Tony Bryer wrote:

If you'd got a car with aircon it would have been a cold wet weekend
- so we all thank you for this lovely sunshine!

My pleasure Tony.
:¬)

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Trevor Basement

Simon Gardner wrote:
There doesn't seem to have been an air con discussion for a bit. Mine has
been on for a few days now. Lovely. I guess it will get turned off in
October.

My car has climate control and I leave it running all year, the 2mpg
extra is worth it for the pleasant environment and lack of steamed up
windows.

Mike

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
Saying that..... Just got a hire car with no aircon. Glad it's
going back on Tuesday!

If you'd got a car with aircon it would have been a cold wet weekend
- so we all thank you for this lovely sunshine!

On what was officially the hottest May day for 50 years, I was working
outside this afternoon when it started raining. Knew then the Bank Holiday
had started :-)

Jeff

"Mike" wrote in message

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
Saying that..... Just got a hire car with no aircon. Glad it's
going back on Tuesday!

If you'd got a car with aircon it would have been a cold wet weekend
- so we all thank you for this lovely sunshine!

On what was officially the hottest May day for 50 years, I was working
outside this afternoon when it started raining. Knew then the Bank

Holiday
had started :-)

I spent a very unpleasant 40 mins parked in the middle lane of the M5 and
very nearly cooked in the wifes non aircon crisp packet ( my car, with
climate control is sat in the bodyshop waiting for the wet weather )
Leicester to Bristol and back = 6.5 hours Grrrrrrr

79 degrees in my north facing living room and I seem to remember someone
saying there is no need for aircon in the UK

Regards Jeff

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Jeff wrote:

79 degrees in my north facing living room and I seem to remember someone
saying there is no need for aircon in the UK

Did you leave your heating on?

Do you live in a bungalow with no loft insulation?

HAs somone stolen your curtains and sealed up all the windows?

:¬)

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

raden

In message , Jeff
writes

"Mike" wrote in message

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
Saying that..... Just got a hire car with no aircon. Glad it's
going back on Tuesday!

If you'd got a car with aircon it would have been a cold wet weekend
- so we all thank you for this lovely sunshine!

On what was officially the hottest May day for 50 years, I was working
outside this afternoon when it started raining. Knew then the Bank

Holiday
had started :-)

I spent a very unpleasant 40 mins parked in the middle lane of the M5 and
very nearly cooked in the wifes non aircon crisp packet ( my car, with
climate control is sat in the bodyshop waiting for the wet weather )
Leicester to Bristol and back = 6.5 hours Grrrrrrr

79 degrees in my north facing living room

Ah, summer's on it's way

--
geoff
Doctor Evil

Simon Gardner wrote:
There doesn't seem to have been an air con discussion for a bit. Mine

has
been on for a few days now. Lovely. I guess it will get turned off in
October.

Disgusting. You should get your obesity problem sorted out.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Mike

"Jeff" wrote in message
.. .
I spent a very unpleasant 40 mins parked in the middle lane of the M5 and
very nearly cooked in the wifes non aircon crisp packet ( my car, with
climate control is sat in the bodyshop waiting for the wet weather )
Leicester to Bristol and back = 6.5 hours Grrrrrrr

Listened to the traffic on Radio 2 just before 17:00 - seemed like every
motorway was stopped. I even think she said something like "if you're on
the A1 you in a queue" - presumably it was solid end to end.

Dave

Doctor Evil wrote:

Simon Gardner wrote:

There doesn't seem to have been an air con discussion for a bit. Mine

has

been on for a few days now. Lovely. I guess it will get turned off in
October.

Disgusting. You should get your obesity problem sorted out.

Perhaps you should get a job that makes you sweat a little, then you
might realise that obesity and sweating are not connected. Assuming that
you are latt thin.

Dave
Jeff

"raden" wrote in message

Ah, summer's on it's way

that was it, been and gone :-)

Regards Jeff

Jeff

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" wrote in message
k...
Jeff wrote:

79 degrees in my north facing living room and I seem to remember someone
saying there is no need for aircon in the UK

Did you leave your heating on?

No, been off for more than 48 hours (a record in this house)

Do you live in a bungalow with no loft insulation?

No, house, with poor loft insulation (new roof going on shortly)

HAs somone stolen your curtains and sealed up all the windows?

Can't draw curtains during the day as the neighbours will think we are 'at
it' so i'm told.
Regarding the windows my 82 yrs old senile father lives with us and shuts
the windows to stop the 'icy draught'

Regards Jeff

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Doctor Evil

.. .

Jeff wrote:

79 degrees in my north facing living room and I seem to remember

someone
saying there is no need for aircon in the UK

Did you leave your heating on?

No, been off for more than 48 hours (a record in this house)

Do you live in a bungalow with no loft insulation?

No, house, with poor loft insulation (new roof going on shortly)

HAs somone stolen your curtains and sealed up all the windows?

Can't draw curtains during the day as the neighbours will think we are 'at
it' so i'm told.
Regarding the windows my 82 yrs old senile father lives with us and shuts
the windows to stop the 'icy draught'

Through ventilation will keep the temperature right down.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Doctor Evil" writes:

Through ventilation will keep the temperature right down.

Doesn't work. I spent most of the day in a modern very well insulated
house with plenty of throughdraft, but it doesn't come close to
counteracting the gain from the Sun's radiation. The throughdraft brings
in the high humidity which appeared yesterday too, which is more
responsible for the uncomfortable feeling than the high temperature.

Later in the afternoon, I went to an old (1895) house where the only
insulation is about 2" of fibreglass in the loft and pre-Part-L double
glazing, and it was wonderfully cool. IME, this is always the case when
it gets hot -- an old house with lots of thermal capacity wins hands
down over a new house with lots of insulation and no thermal capacity.

Out of interest, here is the temperature profile of the 1895 house as
logged throughout yesterday. Hottest part of the day was around 17:30,
where outside temperature reached 24.5, but inside (downstairs) it was
only 20.5 at that time, and although not apparent from the logs, the
humidity was much lower in the house too because of no throughdraft,
which made it feel like walking into a lovely air conditioned building
(which it isn't). The thermal capacity of the house prevented it from
reaching the outside temperature until nearly 11pm, but by then the
outside temperature was nearly down to the earlier downstairs
temperature anyway, so that was not uncomfortable.

May 27 Outside Downstairs Upstairs Bedroom 3
00:00:00 17.5
00:00:00 18.5
00:00:00 20.5
00:00:00 20.0
01:25:52 17.0
02:43:05 16.5
03:25:30 16.0
06:51:32 16.5
07:19:31 21.0
07:44:24 17.0
08:35:44 17.5
09:11:00 18.0
09:30:20 18.5
09:37:14 19.0
09:52:47 21.5
10:12:16 19.0
10:17:44 21.0
10:21:32 20.5
10:43:17 19.5
11:13:24 20.0
11:39:38 20.5
11:48:26 21.5
12:23:32 21.0
13:19:06 21.0
13:24:24 19.5
13:31:37 21.5
13:50:44 22.0
13:56:14 22.0
14:16:05 22.5
14:16:50 21.5
14:42:00 23.0
14:43:19 22.5
14:45:25 23.0
14:54:39 23.5
15:05:11 22.0
15:07:50 20.0
15:12:55 22.5
15:30:41 24.0
16:56:10 22.5
17:05:02 20.5
17:09:27 24.5
17:13:41 24.0
17:22:38 23.0
17:28:05 24.5
17:34:51 24.0
17:40:46 24.5
17:55:19 24.0
18:42:30 24.5
18:50:45 24.0
19:20:11 23.5
19:22:11 23.0
19:53:48 23.5
20:41:17 21.0
20:43:39 23.0
21:28:52 22.5
22:09:41 22.0
22:42:16 21.5
22:54:52 21.5
23:15:25 21.0
23:49:33 20.5

--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Doctor Evil" writes:

Through ventilation will keep the temperature right down.

Doesn't work.

snip the big advantage of thermal capacity.

Ventilation simply brings the indoor temp to whatever the outdoor temp
is. But there is a way to make that work for you. Dont vent when its
hot out and not as hot in, but do vent all night long when its cool
out. The stored coolth gives the nice results you quoted: and if
ventilation is managed optimally, much more coolth is available.

NT

Simon Gardner

In article ,
"Doctor Evil" wrote:

Through ventilation will keep the temperature right down.

Duh. No it won't, moron. Learn some elementary physics.

Doctor Evil

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Doctor Evil" writes:

Through ventilation will keep
the temperature right down.

Doesn't work. I spent most of the day in a modern very well insulated
house with plenty of throughdraft, but it doesn't come close to
counteracting the gain from the Sun's radiation. The throughdraft brings
in the high humidity which appeared yesterday too, which is more
responsible for the uncomfortable feeling than the high temperature.

Later in the afternoon, I went to an old (1895) house where the only
insulation is about 2" of fibreglass in the loft and pre-Part-L double
glazing, and it was wonderfully cool. IME, this is always the case when
it gets hot -- an old house with lots of thermal capacity wins hands
down over a new house with lots of insulation and no thermal capacity.

New homes have thermal mass. 90% are built of brick and block. A north
facing room with ventilation coming in on the north side will be quite cool.

Out of interest, here is the temperature profile of the 1895 house as
logged throughout yesterday. Hottest part of the day was around 17:30,
where outside temperature reached 24.5, but inside (downstairs) it was
only 20.5 at that time, and although not apparent from the logs, the
humidity was much lower in the house too because of no throughdraft,

Relative humidity is the amount of water vapor in the air compared to how
much it can possibly hold at a given temperature.

The ability of air to hold water depends on the temperature of the air. The
warmer the air, the more moisture it can hold. Air at 30C can hold about 75%
more than at 20C. Absolute humidity is the actual amount of water vapour
(moisture) in the air, irrespective of the air temperature.

With a high masonry thermal mass the heat is absorbed into the masonry. If
cooler air is brought in from the north side the humidity will be less, see
above, as the lower the temperatrure the less moisture held in the air.
People make the mstake of taking the highest temperature and RH is thinking
it is the same in all the outside air. On a shaded north side under
vegetation, air will will be a "lot" cooler and with a lower RH than air in
full sun on the south side.

which made it feel like walking into a lovely air conditioned building
(which it isn't). The thermal capacity of the house prevented it from
reaching the outside temperature until nearly 11pm, but by then the
outside temperature was nearly down to the earlier downstairs
temperature anyway, so that was not uncomfortable.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Simon Gardner

In article ,
Pete C wrote:

On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:48:02 +0100, rnet[dot]co[dot]uk
(Simon Gardner) wrote:

What, we've all got to burn in global warming hell so you can run your
AC all summer?!?

Yup. I must get round to installing a wind turbine pretty soon.

Solar panel might be better,

Yah. I seriously looked into that when I installed the air con but it was
uneconomic then. Maybe it will get better in the future. Really fancy the
wind turbine, though.

or buy a smallholding and plant a load of
trees.

I plant trees anyway. I like trees. I particularly like fruit trees but
we've also got a nice Cedar of Lebanon we planted.

And I have always been firmly pro nuke. So that sorts a major source of
your global warming.

What make AC do you have BTW?

It's one of the numerous identical Japanese jobs. A bit over 6kW of lovely
installed Mitsubishi cooling power. It's been going well for about 5 uears
now.

6kW is a hell of a lot if it's just one room, if so then there must be
a lot of solar gain or radiating surfaces.

It's not just one room and there's a lot of electronics here.

Also it's probably a bit out of date compared to modern japanese kit.

Could be.

Whatever ghastly furnace is going on outside, it stays a nice comfy 21
indoors - despite all the heat-emitting electronics all over the house.

Was 32ish in here Friday, but it didn't feel /that/ hot though.

21 is as hot as I like to be. I've been exactly the same since I was a kid.
The air con also sorts the humidity nicely when necessary.

Got a
couple of laptops (nice n quiet) and a couple of TFTs, so can't be
more than 100w tops.

Flat screens are all very well, but the cat falls off them. So the network
has to include an old fashioned monitor. There are two Mac laptops but they
aren't used all the time. Also, at the last count there were six or more
TVs and something like 10 satellite receivers. They tend to pump out a bit
when you add it all up.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Simon Gardner wrote:

21 is as hot as I like to be. I've been exactly the same since I was a kid.
The air con also sorts the humidity nicely when necessary.

A de-humidifier will sort out the humidity and make temps well above 21
deg. much more bearable.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" writes:
Simon Gardner wrote:

21 is as hot as I like to be. I've been exactly the same since I was a kid.
The air con also sorts the humidity nicely when necessary.

A de-humidifier will sort out the humidity and make temps well above 21
deg. much more bearable.

Doesn't work because it cranks the temperature up proportionally.
Also, they have nowhere near the dehumidifying power of an air
conditioner.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A de-humidifier will sort out the humidity and make temps well above 21
deg. much more bearable.

Doesn't work because it cranks the temperature up proportionally.
Also, they have nowhere near the dehumidifying power of an air
conditioner.

I sit corrected.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

A dehumidifier uses as much power for the same performance, and dumps heat
into the room to boot. Aircon also extracts water, mine extracts /much/
faster than my de-humidifier.

dehumidifier typical 200w, for maybe 1/10th the time. 20w of drying
capacity, 20w of heat.

NT

Simon Gardner

In article ,
"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A de-humidifier will sort out the humidity and make temps well above 21
deg. much more bearable.

Doesn't work because it cranks the temperature up proportionally.
Also, they have nowhere near the dehumidifying power of an air
conditioner.

I sit corrected.

I understand that there are people who can work happily in temperatures
over 21. I'm not one of them. Indeed, it can be too humid too, despite
being below 21.