Simon Gardner

In article ,
Pete C wrote:

On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:48:02 +0100, rnet[dot]co[dot]uk
(Simon Gardner) wrote:

What, we've all got to burn in global warming hell so you can run your
AC all summer?!?

Yup. I must get round to installing a wind turbine pretty soon.

Solar panel might be better,

Yah. I seriously looked into that when I installed the air con but it was
uneconomic then. Maybe it will get better in the future. Really fancy the
wind turbine, though.

or buy a smallholding and plant a load of
trees.

I plant trees anyway. I like trees. I particularly like fruit trees but
we've also got a nice Cedar of Lebanon we planted.

And I have always been firmly pro nuke. So that sorts a major source of
your global warming.

What make AC do you have BTW?

It's one of the numerous identical Japanese jobs. A bit over 6kW of lovely
installed Mitsubishi cooling power. It's been going well for about 5 uears
now.

6kW is a hell of a lot if it's just one room, if so then there must be
a lot of solar gain or radiating surfaces.

It's not just one room and there's a lot of electronics here.

Also it's probably a bit out of date compared to modern japanese kit.

Could be.

Whatever ghastly furnace is going on outside, it stays a nice comfy 21
indoors - despite all the heat-emitting electronics all over the house.

Was 32ish in here Friday, but it didn't feel /that/ hot though.

21 is as hot as I like to be. I've been exactly the same since I was a kid.
The air con also sorts the humidity nicely when necessary.

Got a
couple of laptops (nice n quiet) and a couple of TFTs, so can't be
more than 100w tops.

Flat screens are all very well, but the cat falls off them. So the network
has to include an old fashioned monitor. There are two Mac laptops but they
aren't used all the time. Also, at the last count there were six or more
TVs and something like 10 satellite receivers. They tend to pump out a bit
when you add it all up.