Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting a brick fireplace - any precautions?

Just one more Q for you knowledgeable folk - here's my gas fireplace
in its current sorry state:

www.ochremusic.com/pics/fire.jpg

Unfortunately one of the previous owners saw it fit to remove the
rather nice victorian fireplace, perhaps due to damage, I don't know,
and replaced it with some red brick and cement. As you can see, it's
not pretty to say the least. As much as I'd like to be able to go and
source an original Victorian fireplace I have neither the bank balance
or expertise to do so, and so I'd like to simply paint the brick/
cement white instead.

Could I use any old masonry paint for this? Would the heat from the
fire be a concern with flaking, discolouring etc, or should the paint
be able to withstand this? I'll leave the slate-coloured tiles as they
are, just clean them up, obviously, but anything red will be
painted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 18, 6:44 pm, "Chris" wrote:
[...]

Ideally it wants knocking out and replacing with salt glazed or some
other nicely finished brick. Use very narrow mortar beds and joints
and scratch out the mortar to have an inset pointing style with one of
those scraper outer tools.

Alternatives are tiles or brick acid.

Brick acid will tidy it up no end but watch out, as it is very strong
and can cut through to the bone without you realising it. It does a
fair job on carpets and iron fireplaces too.

I don't know if it will undercut the pointing or ruin it if you overdo
it. You might try, it isn't load bearing.

insulating brick fireplace? peter Home Repair 2 November 5th 06 11:27 PM
Brick a fireplace [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 14th 06 02:35 PM
painting a brick fireplace J.B. Bobbitt Home Repair 10 November 19th 04 02:57 AM
Exposed Brick Fireplace Richard UK diy 3 September 5th 04 10:04 PM
mortar for tiling over brick fireplace? telus Home Repair 3 August 26th 04 03:55 PM