Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Checking temperature of washing machine

Ok, this is probably a strange one!

I've been having trouble with the temperature selector knob on my washing
machine sticking, it's now freed itself but it does seem a bit loose, so I
have no idea if the knob is actually connected to anything!

So I'd like to actually test the temperature of the water in wash
independantly. Ideally some sort of device which could survive a wash cycle
then tell me what the max temp was during it, but I'm thinking they probably
don't exist?!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Mar, 12:09, "Mark Hewitt" wrote:
Ok, this is probably a strange one!

I've been having trouble with the temperature selector knob on my washing
machine sticking, it's now freed itself but it does seem a bit loose, so I
have no idea if the knob is actually connected to anything!

So I'd like to actually test the temperature of the water in wash
independantly. Ideally some sort of device which could survive a wash cycle
then tell me what the max temp was during it, but I'm thinking they probably
don't exist?!

Does anyone have any ideas?

What you're suggesting is a data logger. Expensive and OTT.
A simple wire thermocouple just inside the door should work.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Mar, 12:30, "John" wrote:
On 12 Mar, 12:09, "Mark Hewitt" wrote:

Ok, this is probably a strange one!

I've been having trouble with the temperature selector knob on my washing
machine sticking, it's now freed itself but it does seem a bit loose, so I
have no idea if the knob is actually connected to anything!

So I'd like to actually test the temperature of the water in wash
independantly. Ideally some sort of device which could survive a wash cycle
then tell me what the max temp was during it, but I'm thinking they probably
don't exist?!

Does anyone have any ideas?

What you're suggesting is a data logger. Expensive and OTT.
A simple wire thermocouple just inside the door should work.

John

Just had a simpler thought. Measure the temperature of the water as
it's pumped out.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Just had a simpler thought. Measure the temperature of the water as
it's pumped out.

Simpler still, put your hand on the door while it is running and see how
it feels ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:09:38 -0000, "Mark Hewitt" wrote:

|!Ok, this is probably a strange one!
|!
|!I've been having trouble with the temperature selector knob on my washing
|!machine sticking, it's now freed itself but it does seem a bit loose, so I
|!have no idea if the knob is actually connected to anything!
|!
|!So I'd like to actually test the temperature of the water in wash
|!independantly. Ideally some sort of device which could survive a wash cycle
|!then tell me what the max temp was during it, but I'm thinking they probably
|!don't exist?!
|!
|!Does anyone have any ideas?

Probe thermometers are now quite cheap.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...27067&doy=12m3
Many other places sell that same sort of item.

The wire to the probe is thin enough to go into the *top* of the front
seal.
I would do it with the washer running but **EMPTY**

Mine gets used for all sorts of temperature measurements, including
cooking.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Compare and contrast
Sharia Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Mar, 13:17, John Rumm wrote:
John wrote:
Just had a simpler thought. Measure the temperature of the water as
it's pumped out.

Simpler still, put your hand on the door while it is running and see how
it feels ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Thought of that but the door on my washer's double glazed and runs
touch cool.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message

Probe thermometers are now quite cheap.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...27067&doy=12m3
Many other places sell that same sort of item.

The wire to the probe is thin enough to go into the *top* of the front
seal.
I would do it with the washer running but **EMPTY**

Mine gets used for all sorts of temperature measurements, including
cooking.

Cheers, I'd worry about that causing problems with the door seal?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...

Just had a simpler thought. Measure the temperature of the water as
it's pumped out.

Means dragging the machine out and disconnecting the drain hose.. possible,
but with the way my kitchen is configured, is quite a big job.

I did have another thought, get one of the probe sensors, then abort the
wash, pump the water out, and test the temp of the wet clothes?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:12:07 -0000, "Mark Hewitt" wrote:

|!
|!"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
. ..
|!
|! Probe thermometers are now quite cheap.
|! http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...27067&doy=12m3
|! Many other places sell that same sort of item.
|!
|! The wire to the probe is thin enough to go into the *top* of the front
|! seal.
|! I would do it with the washer running but **EMPTY**
|!
|! Mine gets used for all sorts of temperature measurements, including
|! cooking.
|!
|!Cheers, I'd worry about that causing problems with the door seal?

The wires to the probe are designed to go behind the door seals of fridges
and freezers for which IME they work fine.

Obviously with a washer I would put the probe in the *top* of the door, so
that any minor leakage when the wire is in place would cause no real
problem, I could not possible envisage an permanent damage to the seal. Run
the machine empty.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Compare and contrast
Sharia Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia
European Convention on Human Rights http://www.hri.org/docs/ECHR50.html
Then sign this petition http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Ban-Sharia
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message
Ok, this is probably a strange one!

I've been having trouble with the temperature selector knob on my washing
machine sticking, it's now freed itself but it does seem a bit loose, so I
have no idea if the knob is actually connected to anything!

So I'd like to actually test the temperature of the water in wash
independantly. Ideally some sort of device which could survive a wash
cycle then tell me what the max temp was during it, but I'm thinking they
probably don't exist?!

Does anyone have any ideas?

My washing machine had just started as I read this
Measured the temp through the glass door with my TN1 Infrared Thermometer
http://www.etiltd.co.uk/tn1_infrared_thermometer.htm
It read 28.7c on a 30c wash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ok, this is probably a strange one!

I've been having trouble with the temperature selector knob on my washing
machine sticking, it's now freed itself but it does seem a bit loose, so I
have no idea if the knob is actually connected to anything!

So I'd like to actually test the temperature of the water in wash
independantly. Ideally some sort of device which could survive a wash cycle
then tell me what the max temp was during it, but I'm thinking they probably
don't exist?!

Does anyone have any ideas?

One of those stick on fish tank thermometers stuck on the bottom of
the glass door?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Mar, 12:30, "John" wrote:

What you're suggesting is a data logger. Expensive and OTT.

Dallas iButton. Cheap and just barely OTT

A simple wire thermocouple just inside the door should work.

Even simpler if you measure on the outside of the door window.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Hewitt wrote:

Means dragging the machine out and disconnecting the drain hose.. possible,
but with the way my kitchen is configured, is quite a big job.

What about where it exits the kitchen? Into a gully perhaps?

--
Cheers,

John.

Which Washing Machine ?? Tim.. UK diy 42 August 25th 06 06:46 PM
Washing Machine pauljfoster UK diy 6 September 25th 05 10:49 PM
Washing machine not washing Carl Home Repair 2 March 6th 04 05:32 PM
washing machine water temperature hello Home Repair 9 March 4th 04 12:20 PM