Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting Fixings in Concrete Block Wall

SO wanted a fitting put up on the kitchen wall that is plastered
concrete block with flints in the concrete. Usual happened, hammer
drill went off centre and left a hole big enough to get your head in.
No chance with normal fixing plugs. Can you still get that stuff that
is a powder/fibre mix that you wet and push in the hole, allow to dry
and then put screw in? Is so where can I get it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Merryterry" wrote in message
ps.com...
SO wanted a fitting put up on the kitchen wall that is plastered
concrete block with flints in the concrete. Usual happened, hammer
drill went off centre and left a hole big enough to get your head

in.
No chance with normal fixing plugs. Can you still get that stuff

that
is a powder/fibre mix that you wet and push in the hole, allow to

dry
and then put screw in? Is so where can I get it?

....ah but it was based on Asbestos fibre so presumeably you cannot get
the original Rawlplug made stuff. There may be a substitute but I'm
not aware of it

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Merryterry wrote:

SO wanted a fitting put up on the kitchen wall that is plastered
concrete block with flints in the concrete. Usual happened, hammer
drill went off centre and left a hole big enough to get your head in.
No chance with normal fixing plugs. Can you still get that stuff that
is a powder/fibre mix that you wet and push in the hole, allow to dry
and then put screw in? Is so where can I get it?

Dunno - haven't seen it for years. But I never had much success in getting
firm fixings with it when it *was* available.

If you use an SDS drill rather than an ordinary hammer drill, you've got a
much better chance of getting the right size of hole in the right place.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Merryterry wrote:
SO wanted a fitting put up on the kitchen wall that is plastered
concrete block with flints in the concrete. Usual happened, hammer
drill went off centre and left a hole big enough to get your head in.
No chance with normal fixing plugs. Can you still get that stuff that
is a powder/fibre mix that you wet and push in the hole, allow to dry
and then put screw in? Is so where can I get it?

I use car body filler for that job. Halfords do small tubs pretty
cheaply. Goes off in a few minutes, then you can drill a fresh hole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Merryterry wrote:

SO wanted a fitting put up on the kitchen wall that is plastered
concrete block with flints in the concrete. Usual happened, hammer
drill went off centre and left a hole big enough to get your head in.
No chance with normal fixing plugs. Can you still get that stuff that
is a powder/fibre mix that you wet and push in the hole, allow to dry
and then put screw in? Is so where can I get it?

Dunno - haven't seen it for years. But I never had much success in
getting firm fixings with it when it *was* available.

If you use an SDS drill rather than an ordinary hammer drill, you've
got a much better chance of getting the right size of hole in the
right place.

Very true.

Try this Rawlplug Plug & Repair http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/106219

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

Merryterry wrote:

SO wanted a fitting put up on the kitchen wall that is plastered
concrete block with flints in the concrete. Usual happened, hammer
drill went off centre and left a hole big enough to get your head in.
No chance with normal fixing plugs. Can you still get that stuff that
is a powder/fibre mix that you wet and push in the hole, allow to dry
and then put screw in? Is so where can I get it?

I use car body filler for that job. Halfords do small tubs pretty
cheaply. Goes off in a few minutes, then you can drill a fresh hole.

If I were to end up with quite a large hole, what would the bond between
the filler and the wall be like? I am assuming that the plug would be a
snug fit in the filler, but what about the filler to wall bond? After
all, it can't expand when the screw is inserted into the plug.

What I have in mind, is something I did in our son's house last week.
Drilled a hole right through a double wall, opened up from both sides
with a much shorter drill and ended up with 2 hole that did not match :-(

This is the first time in a lot of years that I have not made a match,
but it did run through my mind, what would I do if I had to put a
structural mounting in the same place as the redundant hole.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Merryterry wrote:

SO wanted a fitting put up on the kitchen wall that is plastered
concrete block with flints in the concrete. Usual happened, hammer
drill went off centre and left a hole big enough to get your head in.
No chance with normal fixing plugs. Can you still get that stuff that
is a powder/fibre mix that you wet and push in the hole, allow to dry
and then put screw in? Is so where can I get it?

I use car body filler for that job. Halfords do small tubs pretty
cheaply. Goes off in a few minutes, then you can drill a fresh hole.

If I were to end up with quite a large hole, what would the bond between
the filler and the wall be like?

Excellent. Sometimes you have to work the filler a bit in the hole so
that it binds the dust.

I am assuming that the plug would be a
snug fit in the filler, but what about the filler to wall bond? After
all, it can't expand when the screw is inserted into the plug.

It has some flexibility, certainly more than plaster or brick.

What I have in mind, is something I did in our son's house last week.
Drilled a hole right through a double wall, opened up from both sides
with a much shorter drill and ended up with 2 hole that did not match :-(

This is the first time in a lot of years that I have not made a match,
but it did run through my mind, what would I do if I had to put a
structural mounting in the same place as the redundant hole.

Gives you an instant repair and allows you to get on with the original job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

If I were to end up with quite a large hole, what would the bond
between the filler and the wall be like? I am assuming that the plug
would be a snug fit in the filler, but what about the filler to wall
bond? After all, it can't expand when the screw is inserted into the
plug.

You may be able to screw straight into the filler, just drilling a pilot
hole, and not use a plug.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Dave wrote:

If I were to end up with quite a large hole, what would the bond
between the filler and the wall be like? I am assuming that the plug
would be a snug fit in the filler, but what about the filler to wall
bond? After all, it can't expand when the screw is inserted into the
plug.

You may be able to screw straight into the filler, just drilling a pilot
hole, and not use a plug.

Don't know if you can still get them, but I have also had wall plug glue
sticks in the past. You pump hotmelt into your hole, then screw straight
into it. Seemed to work well on old flakey L&P walls.

--
Cheers,

John.