Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Getting Fixings in Concrete Block Wall

Dave wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Merryterry wrote:

SO wanted a fitting put up on the kitchen wall that is plastered
concrete block with flints in the concrete. Usual happened, hammer
drill went off centre and left a hole big enough to get your head in.
No chance with normal fixing plugs. Can you still get that stuff that
is a powder/fibre mix that you wet and push in the hole, allow to dry
and then put screw in? Is so where can I get it?

I use car body filler for that job. Halfords do small tubs pretty
cheaply. Goes off in a few minutes, then you can drill a fresh hole.

If I were to end up with quite a large hole, what would the bond between
the filler and the wall be like?

Excellent. Sometimes you have to work the filler a bit in the hole so
that it binds the dust.

I am assuming that the plug would be a
snug fit in the filler, but what about the filler to wall bond? After
all, it can't expand when the screw is inserted into the plug.

It has some flexibility, certainly more than plaster or brick.

What I have in mind, is something I did in our son's house last week.
Drilled a hole right through a double wall, opened up from both sides
with a much shorter drill and ended up with 2 hole that did not match :-(

This is the first time in a lot of years that I have not made a match,
but it did run through my mind, what would I do if I had to put a
structural mounting in the same place as the redundant hole.

Gives you an instant repair and allows you to get on with the original job.