Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

Default Check valve and submerged filling of CW tank

Can anyone shed any light on this:

I have a float valve in the loft
I want to add a submerged fill so hat it fills quietly
Just adding a section of pipe breaks WRAS rules as ther eis nothing to
prevent bak siphon
Presumably however as long as I have a WRAS approved check valve
upstream of the valve I am ok -any water suked back up the pipe can't
get past the valve. I know this is ok for outside taps, so ought to be
ok here...

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben wrote:
Can anyone shed any light on this:

I have a float valve in the loft
I want to add a submerged fill so hat it fills quietly
Just adding a section of pipe breaks WRAS rules as ther eis nothing to
prevent bak siphon
Presumably however as long as I have a WRAS approved check valve
upstream of the valve I am ok -any water suked back up the pipe can't
get past the valve. I know this is ok for outside taps, so ought to be
ok here...

You can buy float valves which have a flat tube extending into the tank so
they fill quietly, but would collapse flat if any backflow occurred.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

On 8 Mar, 00:11, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Ben wrote:
Can anyone shed any light on this:

I have a float valve in the loft
I want to add a submerged fill so hat it fills quietly
Just adding a section of pipe breaks WRAS rules as ther eis nothing to
prevent bak siphon
Presumably however as long as I have a WRAS approved check valve
upstream of the valve I am ok -any water suked back up the pipe can't
get past the valve. I know this is ok for outside taps, so ought to be
ok here...

You can buy float valves which have a flat tube extending into the tank so
they fill quietly, but would collapse flat if any backflow occurred.

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

I have seen torbec valves like that, but wasn't sure if they'd be up
to the job for a large tank - I wonder if you can buy (or make) a
device to retrofit to a standard brass valve...

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Ben wrote:
[...]

This really depends on the water pressure and flow rate available.

If both are quite high, then filling a large tank is not a problem.

I have relatively low flow rate and pressure available in the loft and
a large tank to fill, so fitted two Torbeck valves.

The floats are adjusted so that for a small draw off of water, only
one opens - e.g. flushing from a toilet cistern during the night.

The other opens for larger uses such as shower or bath, in effect
giving a much larger flow rate into the tank. I measured this as
about 50% more than a single valve.

I wouldn't recommend using check valves if you are concerned about
flow rate into a tank. They tend to nobble it quite a bit, especially
if the pressure and flow are not high in the first place.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ben" wrote

I want to add a submerged fill so hat it fills quietly

The advantage of being able to hear the filling, is that leaks or
hot-taps-left-running can become evident (when you realise that tanks are
filling when they shouldn't be) IYSWIM. Particularly handy if you have
kids.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 23:54:05 -0800, Ben wrote:

I have seen torbec valves like that, but wasn't sure if they'd be up
to the job for a large tank - I wonder if you can buy (or make) a
device to retrofit to a standard brass valve...

Yes, hang a bit of suitably-sized tube (e.g. plastic overflow) under the
fill valve spout and reaching down below the water level in the tank. Make
sure it's not an air-tight fit to the valve. It will mute the water going
into the tank without any risk of back-siphonage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

I've seen layflat hosing that I think might be ideal:

http://www.pump.co.uk/shop?code=SH1-010

There is also lighter weight polythene stuff like that used on torbecs

(maybe like this:

http://www.phflexible.co.uk/acatalog...at_Tubing.html

)
, but I would guess the former would be more durable. I can stick a
plastic tube at the top end to hold it open and submerge the othe end.
The tube can then be hooked over the valve to keep it in place, while
leaving an airgap. Any thoughts? Would the tubing be ok for use on a
domestic supply?

Cheers,

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 05:35:43 -0800, Ben wrote:

I've seen layflat hosing that I think might be ideal:

http://www.pump.co.uk/shop?code=SH1-010

There is also lighter weight polythene stuff like that used on torbecs

(maybe like this:

http://www.phflexible.co.uk/acatalog...at_Tubing.html

)
, but I would guess the former would be more durable. I can stick a
plastic tube at the top end to hold it open and submerge the othe end.
The tube can then be hooked over the valve to keep it in place, while
leaving an airgap. Any thoughts? Would the tubing be ok for use on a
domestic supply?

OK if you've got some lying around, overkill to go out and buy some.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

Ok - I came across another problem with the layflat hose - apparently
all piping for use in hosues has to be approved by someone or other,
and that stuff never has been.

Ben

http://www.phflexible.co.uk/acatalog...ay_Flat_Tubing....

)
, but I would guess the former would be more durable. I can stick a
plastic tube at the top end to hold it open and submerge the othe end.
The tube can then be hooked over the valve to keep it in place, while
leaving an airgap. Any thoughts? Would the tubing be ok for use on a
domestic supply?

OK if you've got some lying around, overkill to go out and buy some.- Hide quoted text -