Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Coluring leather

Does anyone know if there is a way to recolour leather? our 15yr old
chesterfield is in fantastic nick apart from the setee cushions, I've
been quoted £45 each for new covers from the maufacturer, but wondered
if there's a product that will colour them for now?

cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Staffbull wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a way to recolour leather? our 15yr old
chesterfield is in fantastic nick apart from the setee cushions, I've
been quoted £45 each for new covers from the maufacturer, but wondered
if there's a product that will colour them for now?

Woolies sell a recon kit. I've used it on car seats with great success.
They match the colour to a sample of your original.

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-108-...-products.aspx

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-28, Staffbull wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a way to recolour leather? our 15yr old
chesterfield is in fantastic nick apart from the setee cushions, I've
been quoted £45 each for new covers from the maufacturer, but wondered
if there's a product that will colour them for now?

I have good news and bad news.

Good news; I saw an article about this, this very morning.

Bad news; I can't find it.

It was on Pistonheads, in the forum, in one of the General TVR, Chimaera
or Griffith forums.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/

I had a quick look and I couldn't find it, sorry.

I think leather colouring is part of the tanning process. Anything
applied subsequently will almost certainly rub off on clothing I would
have thought.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-28, Staffbull wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a way to recolour leather? our 15yr old
chesterfield is in fantastic nick apart from the setee cushions, I've
been quoted £45 each for new covers from the maufacturer, but
wondered
if there's a product that will colour them for now?

I have good news and bad news.

Good news; I saw an article about this, this very morning.

Bad news; I can't find it.

Mine's all (fairly) good news - I saw soemthing on the RRBEW
http://www.rrbew.co.uk/ forum

http://www.liquidleather.com/

or

http://www.Woolies-trim.co.uk

were recommended.

As ever, proper preparation is vital. Another tip is not to skimp on
materials: the previous owner of my Proper Motor Car didn't order
enough, so it looks distinctly streaky in places.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does anyone know if there is a way to recolour leather? our 15yr old
chesterfield is in fantastic nick apart from the setee cushions, I've
been quoted £45 each for new covers from the maufacturer, but wondered
if there's a product that will colour them for now?

Yes, but I think it'll end up around the same price unless anyone knows
of a UK based supplier :-}

http://www.leatherique.net/leathercare.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Feb, 15:43, "Staffbull" wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a way to recolour leather? our 15yr old
chesterfield is in fantastic nick apart from the setee cushions, I've
been quoted £45 each for new covers from the maufacturer, but wondered
if there's a product that will colour them for now?

cheers

Thanks, the Woolies stuff should do, and the small pack is enough to
do a small chair so should be adequate to do the faces of three
cushions.

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:29:10 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

I think leather colouring is part of the tanning process.

Part, but not all -- certainly for something with a smooth surface on
it.

As a rough guide to whether magic leather restorer kits are any good,
are they colour matched to the leather? The good ones (Connolly) are.
The ones that aren't, aren't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
I think leather colouring is part of the tanning process. Anything
applied subsequently will almost certainly rub off on clothing I would
have thought.

The Woolies stuff is water based and soaks into the surface. You finish
with some form of wax. It doesn't come off on clothes.

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I think leather colouring is part of the tanning process.

Part, but not all -- certainly for something with a smooth surface on
it.

As a rough guide to whether magic leather restorer kits are any good,
are they colour matched to the leather? The good ones (Connolly) are.

Connolly went out of business several years ago. Is the name still
in use?

Their hide food is still available, but dunno about their re-colouring
process.

--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I think leather colouring is part of the tanning process. Anything
applied subsequently will almost certainly rub off on clothing I would
have thought.

The Woolies stuff is water based and soaks into the surface. You finish
with some form of wax. It doesn't come off on clothes.

Just as a supplementary, they offer a different surface finish for
furniture compared to cars which IIRC gives a more glossy hard wearing
surface. But there are details on their website.

--
*I yell because I care

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Mar, 10:32, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I think leather colouring is part of the tanning process. Anything
applied subsequently will almost certainly rub off on clothing I would
have thought.

The Woolies stuff is water based and soaks into the surface. You finish
with some form of wax. It doesn't come off on clothes.

Just as a supplementary, they offer a different surface finish for
furniture compared to cars which IIRC gives a more glossy hard wearing
surface. But there are details on their website.

--
*I yell because I care

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Thanks, deffo worth a try @ 3rd the price :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I think leather colouring is part of the tanning process. Anything
applied subsequently will almost certainly rub off on clothing I
would have thought

The Woolies stuff is water based and soaks into the surface. You
finish with some form of wax. It doesn't come off on clothes.

Just as a supplementary, they offer a different surface finish for
furniture compared to cars which IIRC gives a more glossy hard wearing
surface. But there are details on their website

Thanks, deffo worth a try @ 3rd the price :-)

It's worth noting you don't get a brand new appearance. Any creases where
the surface has worn off remain, but take on the colour of the dye. Of
course this could be said to retain any patina - but isn't the same as the
old Connollishing process which shaved the surface smooth before
re-colouring and did look like new.

--
*The more I learn about women, the more I love my car

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Leather restoration. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 3 August 13th 06 08:21 PM
Creased Leather Kevin Green UK diy 5 April 24th 06 09:51 PM
scratch in leather Eddie G Home Repair 1 October 24th 05 06:01 PM
cost of leather??? Chuck Lorentzson Metalworking 10 February 19th 05 08:31 AM
leather handle; Richard Hanley Woodworking 3 October 26th 04 07:27 AM