Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hob power connection advice

Hi

I've bought a De Dietrich DTI309X induction hob which has rather large
power consumption requirements.

According to the installation manual, if you are installing a single
phase supply to it (which of course I am), you must run two separate
supplies to the unit - one 16A supply and one 32A supply.

Relevant page from the installation manual is he http://tinyurl.com/2ty8am

What do I need to fit in terms of a local isolator? It would seem that
I need something capable of switching at least four poles. A further
complexity is that this unit is being installed in the middle of an
island. Where am I supposed to install the isolator switch? The hob is
to be almost 2M from the nearest wall.

Would I need to use an industrial 4 pole switch or could I install 2 x
45A switches?

That was a post with many questions - for which I apologise!

Cheers,

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Feb 2007 06:31:49 -0800 someone who may be "stevelup"
wrote this:-

I've bought a De Dietrich DTI309X induction hob which has rather large
power consumption requirements.

ISTM that a standard 45A cooker supply would be adequate for the
hob, as one can allow for diversity.

According to the installation manual, if you are installing a single
phase supply to it (which of course I am), you must run two separate
supplies to the unit - one 16A supply and one 32A supply.

Though they don't explain why. I would ask them some hard questions.

Assuming that it is something to do with protection of the internals
and has to be provided I would be inclined to run a 45A cooker
supply to the kitchen unit using standard UK wiring equipment
(including a 45A switch within a suitable distance) and then fit a
16A and 32A fuse locally, tucked away somewhere, with suitable
cables to the connections.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I've bought a De Dietrich DTI309X induction hob which has rather large
power consumption requirements.

ISTM that a standard 45A cooker supply would be adequate for the
hob, as one can allow for diversity.

According to the installation manual, if you are installing a single
phase supply to it (which of course I am), you must run two separate
supplies to the unit - one 16A supply and one 32A supply.

Though they don't explain why. I would ask them some hard questions.

Assuming that it is something to do with protection of the internals
and has to be provided I would be inclined to run a 45A cooker
supply to the kitchen unit using standard UK wiring equipment
(including a 45A switch within a suitable distance) and then fit a
16A and 32A fuse locally, tucked away somewhere, with suitable
cables to the connections.

Thanks.

I had forgotten about diversity. There seems to be no sound reason not
to run the unit of a single 45A supply then...

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Regards,

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevelup wrote:

According to the installation manual, if you are installing a single
phase supply to it (which of course I am), you must run two separate
supplies to the unit - one 16A supply and one 32A supply.

Relevant page from the installation manual is he http://tinyurl.com/2ty8am

It looks as if whoever wrote that was unfamiliar with UK wiring
practice. I would just strap terminals 1, 2 & 3 as L and strap 4 & 5 as
N and feed it from a standard 32 A circuit via a DP isolator (cooker
switch). Using the standard diversity rule (first 10 A plus 30% of
remainder) gives just over 21 A, so a 32 A circuit should be fine
(assuming this is domestic use). Use a 4 or 6 mm^2 3-core heat
resistant flexible cable if necessary, connected via a cooker outlet
unit to the fixed twin-and-earth wiring. Crimped ferrules will be
required on the ends of the flexible cord conductors.

A further complexity is that this unit is being installed in the
middle of an island. Where am I supposed to install the isolator
switch? The hob is to be almost 2M from the nearest wall.

Within 2 m of the appliance and such that you don't have to reach over
the hob to operate it. It should also be readily accessible and not
hidden away in a cupboard etc. The 2 m rule is only guidance and I'd
deviate from that in preference to putting it somewhere difficult to
reach, IYSWIM.

--
Andy

Help on Gas Hob Connection pls...???? Kaiser Sose UK diy 11 January 17th 07 08:18 PM
LPG connection underconcrete to hob Donwill UK diy 1 April 5th 06 07:09 PM
Hob power ratings Syke UK diy 4 March 8th 05 07:54 PM
Power to Oven and Hob [email protected] UK diy 12 December 16th 04 09:14 AM
Gas Hob Connection 10mm pipe Mo Thanku UK diy 5 November 9th 04 08:25 PM