Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

Default Clothes dryer attached to ceiling

When I were a lad (lived in shoe box, no lid; dad worked 25 hour day etc
etc...) we had a clothes dryer attached to the kitchen ceiling with a
rope and pulley to raise and lower it.

I'm thinking of installing one of these in the garage to increase the
indoor drying space but haven't a clue if/where they might be sold nowadays.

Anyone?

TIA.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

When I were a lad (lived in shoe box, no lid; dad worked 25 hour day etc
etc...) we had a clothes dryer attached to the kitchen ceiling with a
rope and pulley to raise and lower it.

I'm thinking of installing one of these in the garage to increase the
indoor drying space but haven't a clue if/where they might be sold
nowadays.

Check the small advertisements in the back of most home decorating
magazines. That's where I found mine. Cast-iron hardware, enameled in
a choice of colours, and smooth, natural finish wooden bars.

Sheila
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:02:30 UTC, F wrote:

When I were a lad (lived in shoe box, no lid; dad worked 25 hour day etc
etc...) we had a clothes dryer attached to the kitchen ceiling with a
rope and pulley to raise and lower it.

I'm thinking of installing one of these in the garage to increase the
indoor drying space but haven't a clue if/where they might be sold nowadays.

http://www.sheilamaid.com/

We bought one from them about 12 years ago. Excellent quality!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" wrote in message
When I were a lad (lived in shoe box, no lid; dad worked 25 hour day etc
etc...) we had a clothes dryer attached to the kitchen ceiling with a rope
and pulley to raise and lower it.

I'm thinking of installing one of these in the garage to increase the
indoor drying space but haven't a clue if/where they might be sold
nowadays.

Anyone?

TIA.

--

Just remember that you'll be adding to the humidity in the garage, if you
have tools or machinery in there it might affect them.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:02:30 UTC, F wrote:

When I were a lad (lived in shoe box, no lid; dad worked 25 hour day etc
etc...) we had a clothes dryer attached to the kitchen ceiling with a
rope and pulley to raise and lower it.

I'm thinking of installing one of these in the garage to increase the
indoor drying space but haven't a clue if/where they might be sold nowadays.

http://www.sheilamaid.com/

We bought one from them about 12 years ago. Excellent quality!

Ours came from John Lewis.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:02:30 +0000, F wrote:

When I were a lad (lived in shoe box, no lid; dad worked 25 hour day etc
etc...) we had a clothes dryer attached to the kitchen ceiling

That's your starter for 10.

It's a lot hotter and dryer close to a kitchen ceiling (especially if
the kitchen has a cast iron range + oven heated with a coal fire) than
in an unheated garage with cold damp air coming in around the big
doorway .

with a rope and pulley to raise and lower it.

I'm thinking of installing one of these in the garage to increase the
indoor drying space but haven't a clue if/where they might be sold nowadays.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Derek Geldard wrote:

It's a lot hotter and dryer close to a kitchen ceiling (especially if
the kitchen has a cast iron range + oven heated with a coal fire) than
in an unheated garage with cold damp air coming in around the big
doorway .

Yes. My pulley is mounted over the Rayburn in the kitchen. Stuff I
hang in the garage takes forever to dry - stuff over the Rayburn dries
surprisingly quickly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 26/02/2007 22:37 Derek Geldard wrote:

It's a lot hotter and dryer close to a kitchen ceiling (especially if
the kitchen has a cast iron range + oven heated with a coal fire) than
in an unheated garage with cold damp air coming in around the big
doorway .

The garage has the central heating boiler in it so there's a little
background heating. It's worth a try.

Thanks to the other respondents for names of suppliers: appreciated.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:57:38 UTC, F wrote:

On 26/02/2007 22:37 Derek Geldard wrote:

It's a lot hotter and dryer close to a kitchen ceiling (especially if
the kitchen has a cast iron range + oven heated with a coal fire) than
in an unheated garage with cold damp air coming in around the big
doorway .

The garage has the central heating boiler in it so there's a little
background heating. It's worth a try.

Thanks to the other respondents for names of suppliers: appreciated.

Typical Usenet, eh? A few responses telling you what you wanted to know,
but more telling you why you shouldn't do it!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
F wrote:
When I were a lad (lived in shoe box, no lid; dad worked 25 hour day etc
etc...) we had a clothes dryer attached to the kitchen ceiling with a
rope and pulley to raise and lower it.

I'm thinking of installing one of these in the garage to increase the
indoor drying space but haven't a clue if/where they might be sold
nowadays.

Argos used to sell a kit. Proper cast iron and decent pulleys. Wood slats
were a bit short, though.

--
*Why is it that to stop Windows 95, you have to click on "Start"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Feb, 01:15, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
F wrote:

When I were a lad (lived in shoe box, no lid; dad worked 25 hour day etc
etc...) we had a clothes dryer attached to the kitchen ceiling with a
rope and pulley to raise and lower it.
I'm thinking of installing one of these in the garage to increase the
indoor drying space but haven't a clue if/where they might be sold
nowadays.

Argos used to sell a kit. Proper cast iron and decent pulleys. Wood slats
were a bit short, though.

--
*Why is it that to stop Windows 95, you have to click on "Start"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

This has been fixed in Microsoft Windows Vista.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:02:30 +0000 someone who may be F
wrote this:-

I'm thinking of installing one of these in the garage to increase the
indoor drying space but haven't a clue if/where they might be sold nowadays.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...UK%7CcountryGB
gave me as the fourth result
http://www.naturalcollection.com/nat...head-Dryer.asp

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...UK%7CcountryGB
gave me as the first result http://www.castinstyle.co.uk/

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 27/02/2007 11:53 David Hansen wrote:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...UK%7CcountryGB
gave me as the fourth result
http://www.naturalcollection.com/nat...head-Dryer.asp

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...UK%7CcountryGB
gave me as the first result http://www.castinstyle.co.uk/

Thanks for that. I usually prefer to ask about things like this as often
someone will offer advice based on personal experience. It's better than
just taking pot luck and happened earlier in the thread.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:02:30 +0000, F wrote:

|!When I were a lad (lived in shoe box, no lid; dad worked 25 hour day etc
|!etc...) we had a clothes dryer attached to the kitchen ceiling with a
|!rope and pulley to raise and lower it.
|!
|!I'm thinking of installing one of these in the garage to increase the
|!indoor drying space but haven't a clue if/where they might be sold nowadays.

Lakelandlimited http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!8849

We have one in the kitchen like all grandmothers and June would not be
without it. The wooden rails are almost worn our, I will have to make
some more soon.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Compare and contrast
Sharia Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

I'm thinking of installing one of these in the garage to increase the
indoor drying space but haven't a clue if/where they might be sold
nowadays.

This the sort of thing?
http://www.castinstyle.co.uk/shopima...rmal/Airer.jpg

These are (colloquially) called "pulleys" in Scotland, (may well be
known by that name in England too but I don't know)
http://tinyurl.com/34zv88

Prices appear to be in the £30-£50 range but the wooden slats will
need replaced eventually (probably last the life of the "pulley"
(ceiling clothes airer) though) so a timber merchants for them. A piece
of rope from virtually anywhere and (if memory serves) a twin wheel and
a single wheel pulley which should be available from either, one of the
sheds or a traditional ironmongers if one exists near you. The only
trouble would seem to be the "spreader bars" but sure you could get them
from a builders salvage yard. Maybe you could source an entire "pulley"
(ceiling clothes airer) from them. May well be a lot cheaper to buy
from a yard but beware of the "oh you can't get these new you know,
very rare that, it'll cost" attitude of SOME yard owners.

--

www.cheesesoup.myby.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:29:50 GMT, soup wrote:

These are (colloquially) called "pulleys" in Scotland, (may well be
known by that name in England too but I don't know)

Aaaah ! Had one in our kitchen (In England) when I was a lad (a long time
ago). It was called "the pulley". My Mum was Scottish - that explains
things.

Thanks :-)
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:29:50 GMT, soup wrote:

|!F wrote:
|!
|! I'm thinking of installing one of these in the garage to increase the
|! indoor drying space but haven't a clue if/where they might be sold
|! nowadays.
|!
|!This the sort of thing?
|!http://www.castinstyle.co.uk/shopima...rmal/Airer.jpg
|!
|! These are (colloquially) called "pulleys" in Scotland, (may well be
|!known by that name in England too but I don't know)
|!http://tinyurl.com/34zv88

Reels or kreels in northern England.

|! Prices appear to be in the ?30-?50 range but the wooden slats will
|!need replaced eventually (probably last the life of the "pulley"
|!(ceiling clothes airer) though) so a timber merchants for them. A piece
|!of rope from virtually anywhere and (if memory serves)

Sash cord is traditional here if you can still get it. Lasts 40+ years.

|!a twin wheel and
|!a single wheel pulley which should be available from either, one of the
|!sheds or a traditional ironmongers if one exists near you. The only
|!trouble would seem to be the "spreader bars" but sure you could get them
|!from a builders salvage yard. Maybe you could source an entire "pulley"
|!(ceiling clothes airer) from them. May well be a lot cheaper to buy
|!from a yard but beware of the "oh you can't get these new you know,
|!very rare that, it'll cost" attitude of SOME yard owners.

Lakelandlimited sell them.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Compare and contrast
Sharia Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia
European Convention on Human Rights http://www.hri.org/docs/ECHR50.html
Then sign this petition http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Ban-Sharia
Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 27/02/2007 20:34 Hugh Jampton wrote:

Aaaah ! Had one in our kitchen (In England) when I was a lad (a long time
ago). It was called "the pulley". My Mum was Scottish - that explains
things.

Thanks :-)

Aah! Nostalgia: not what it used to be!

Thanks for all the memories and sources...

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 27, 12:30 am, "Bob Eager" wrote:
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:57:38 UTC, F wrote:
On 26/02/2007 22:37 Derek Geldard wrote:

It's a lot hotter and dryer close to a kitchen ceiling (especially if
the kitchen has a cast iron range + oven heated with a coal fire) than
in an unheated garage with cold damp air coming in around the big
doorway .

The garage has the central heating boiler in it so there's a little
background heating. It's worth a try.

Thanks to the other respondents for names of suppliers: appreciated.

Typical Usenet, eh? A few responses telling you what you wanted to know,
but more telling you why you shouldn't do it!

We had a four line retractable clothes line. Hanging space is the
whole length of the room and it's less obtrusive when not in use.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:50:58 UTC, "
wrote:

Typical Usenet, eh? A few responses telling you what you wanted to know,
but more telling you why you shouldn't do it!

We had a four line retractable clothes line. Hanging space is the
whole length of the room and it's less obtrusive when not in use.

Ah, but will it take the weight of a load of wet washing? And can it be
lowered to a comfortable level while it is being loaded? :-)

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 28, 3:57 pm, "Bob Eager" wrote:
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:50:58 UTC, "

wrote:
Typical Usenet, eh? A few responses telling you what you wanted to know,
but more telling you why you shouldn't do it!

We had a four line retractable clothes line. Hanging space is the
whole length of the room and it's less obtrusive when not in use.

Ah, but will it take the weight of a load of wet washing? And can it be
lowered to a comfortable level while it is being loaded? :-)

I don't recall it ever failing under load.

I can't recall how it was loaded. I do remember there was a ratchet
mechanism so it could be extended to hang lower to the ground and then
be tightened up.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Eager
writes
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:02:30 UTC, F wrote:

When I were a lad (lived in shoe box, no lid; dad worked 25 hour day etc
etc...) we had a clothes dryer attached to the kitchen ceiling with a
rope and pulley to raise and lower it.

I'm thinking of installing one of these in the garage to increase the
indoor drying space but haven't a clue if/where they might be sold nowadays.

http://www.sheilamaid.com/

We bought one from them about 12 years ago. Excellent quality!

Something very similar here, and with the stoves it is something I would
not like to be without.
(I used to hang things to dry in the utility room but the nesting
swallows in the beams above produced a steady trickle of bird **** that
did not do much for the cleanliness of things.)
--
Roger Hunt