Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building regs on ventilation for fires

Hi all.

I've got my woodburner installed now (a 4kW model). The installer told me
no external vent was required below 5kW.

A while back I had a survey/quote for CWI. At the time I had a normal
fireplace, and they told me they were required to add an external vent in
the wall in the front room. This added 50 quid to the price.

I want to resurrect that quote and get them back to do the job, and I was
wondering if anyone knows the letter of the law regarding vents. Do the
people doing the cavity insulation have to fit a vent if the woodburner is
less than 5kW?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:

I've got my woodburner installed now (a 4kW model). The installer told
me no external vent was required below 5kW.
A while back I had a survey/quote for CWI. At the time I had a normal
fireplace, and they told me they were required to add an external vent in
the wall in the front room. This added 50 quid to the price.

They possibly add a new vent, which they can be sure is unobstructed, to
avoid any allegation or liability that their insulation obstructed an
existing vent (which might not be obvious) resulting in a fatality.

I see your point, but there are no existing vents, other than a couple of
ventilated bricks going to the void under the floorboards, which I don't
think count as ventilation for the fire as far as building control see it.

Also, they are required to make sure that all existing vents are clear as
part of the job.

Building regs Griffo Home Repair 6 February 16th 06 05:47 PM
Building Regs Griffo UK diy 0 February 14th 06 07:57 PM
building regs las UK diy 4 February 4th 06 12:18 PM
building regs dale hammond UK diy 13 July 10th 05 11:49 PM
Gas fires and ventilation John Andrews UK diy 6 February 24th 04 07:21 PM