John Andrews

Default Gas fires and ventilation

Hello
Can anyone tell me what the ventialtion requirements are for
installaing a gas fire on a bedroom (and is it different from any
other room)?

Cheers
John
Ed Sirett

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 03:09:52 +0000, John Andrews wrote:

Hello
Can anyone tell me what the ventialtion requirements are for
installaing a gas fire on a bedroom (and is it different from any
other room)?

It is certinaly different, in fact I went to do a "landlords'" about 15
months ago where they had put a bed into the living room so I ticketed
the gas fire 'for being the wrong type of appliance for the location
(bedroom)'.

Off the top of my head.
I think there is an absolute limit of 14kW for the appliance.

Any open flued appliance _must_ incorporate an atmospheric safety
device when used in the bedroom. The devices are known variously as
ADS (Atmospheric Sensing Sevices).
ODS (Oxygen Depletion Sensor).
Oxy-pilot.
Vitiation sensor.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Owain

"Ed Sirett" wrote
| It is certinaly different, in fact I went to do a "landlords'" about
| 15 months ago where they had put a bed into the living room so I
| ticketed the gas fire 'for being the wrong type of appliance for
| the location (bedroom)'.
| Off the top of my head.
| I think there is an absolute limit of 14kW for the appliance.
| Any open flued appliance _must_ incorporate an atmospheric safety
| device when used in the bedroom. The devices are known variously as
| ADS (Atmospheric Sensing Sevices).
| ODS (Oxygen Depletion Sensor).
| Oxy-pilot.
| Vitiation sensor.

Would this also apply to a fire in a lounge where the bedroom is an internal
room opening off the lounge? (The bedroom has an external window.)

Owain

John Stumbles

"Owain" wrote in message ...
"Ed Sirett" wrote
| It is certinaly different, in fact I went to do a "landlords'" about
| 15 months ago where they had put a bed into the living room so I
| ticketed the gas fire 'for being the wrong type of appliance for
| the location (bedroom)'.
| Off the top of my head.
| I think there is an absolute limit of 14kW for the appliance.
| Any open flued appliance _must_ incorporate an atmospheric safety
| device when used in the bedroom. The devices are known variously as
| ADS (Atmospheric Sensing Sevices).
| ODS (Oxygen Depletion Sensor).
| Oxy-pilot.
| Vitiation sensor.

Would this also apply to a fire in a lounge where the bedroom is an internal
room opening off the lounge? (The bedroom has an external window.)

I think as long as the ventilation for the gas fire is directly into
the lounge and not via the bedroom that should be OK. (Ventilation for
the first 7kW of the fire's input is considered to be 'adventitious'
i.e. from draughts etc, so purpose-provided ventitlation is only
required for inputs over 7KW, but all the same I'd be leery of a fire
in a well-draughtproofed internal room.)
Ed Sirett

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:04:02 +0000, Owain wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote
| It is certinaly different, in fact I went to do a "landlords'" about
| 15 months ago where they had put a bed into the living room so I
| ticketed the gas fire 'for being the wrong type of appliance for
| the location (bedroom)'.
| Off the top of my head.
| I think there is an absolute limit of 14kW for the appliance.
| Any open flued appliance _must_ incorporate an atmospheric safety
| device when used in the bedroom. The devices are known variously as
| ADS (Atmospheric Sensing Sevices).
| ODS (Oxygen Depletion Sensor).
| Oxy-pilot.
| Vitiation sensor.

Would this also apply to a fire in a lounge where the bedroom is an internal
room opening off the lounge? (The bedroom has an external window.)

I think intenbt of the the regs are about the _usage_ of the room rather
than it's access.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Baxi fires P and H Macguire UK diy 4 January 13th 06 09:31 AM
Cat Litter, gas fires and hobs Meoww UK diy 8 October 22nd 03 08:00 PM