Posted to alt.home.repair
Griffo

Default Building regs

I'm replacing a hearth and Building Regs Part J specify that the
constructional hearth has to have a depth of 500mm from the fireplace.
Unfortunately there is a wooden joist 460mm from the fireplace. If I
was to comply with the regs I would have to remove this part of the
joist. It all seems a bit much for 40mm. What are the consquences of
breaching the regs?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Griffo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm replacing a hearth and Building Regs Part J specify that the
constructional hearth has to have a depth of 500mm from the fireplace.
Unfortunately there is a wooden joist 460mm from the fireplace. If I
was to comply with the regs I would have to remove this part of the
joist. It all seems a bit much for 40mm. What are the consquences of
breaching the regs?

Depends on the inspector. Some will be a bit generous in how they hold the
measuring tape knowing what the problem is, others will just not approve it
and they don't really care what you have to do to fix it.

Is the project going to be inspected? If not, I'd just go ahead, but that
is me, I'm not condoning cheating. If it is going to be inspected, I'd
contact the local inspector, mention that you are fixing up an existing
hearth that was in before the regulations and ask how you can comply. It may
be as simple as putting a piece of sheet metal over the wood for added
protection. Or, since it is a repair, be allowed as is under the rules.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rule is there so a big fire doesnt burn down your home!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Slim Bastard

The rules are under WETT and the Canadian Building Code. If you breach
them, and fire was to ensue at any place for any reasons, you would be
without Insurance coverage even if the inspector approved/passed/turnt a
blind eye.
Is it worth the risk???
Just had a WETT inspection of our cottage. The flue collar was too close by
1/4". Was forced to tear out and redo with margin of error on the safe
side.
If ever you have to file a claim, you want it denied?
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Griffo" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Slim *******" wrote in message
.. .
The rules are under WETT and the Canadian Building Code. If you breach
them, and fire was to ensue at any place for any reasons, you would be
without Insurance coverage even if the inspector approved/passed/turnt a
blind eye.
Is it worth the risk???
Just had a WETT inspection of our cottage. The flue collar was too close
by 1/4". Was forced to tear out and redo with margin of error on the safe
side.
If ever you have to file a claim, you want it denied?

Your claims of a denied claim is dubious.

The OP is re-doing an existing fireplace, not new construction. It may be
grandfathered under the rules. Safer to have it rebuilt, even if 40mm to
close by present rules, than to have something that was drastically wrong by
today's codes. But, as I stated, there may be an acceptable work around.
Or there may not. If you don't ask, you will never know.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

I'm replacing a hearth and Building Regs Part J specify that the
constructional hearth has to have a depth of 500mm from the fireplace.
Unfortunately there is a wooden joist 460mm from the fireplace. If I
was to comply with the regs I would have to remove this part of the
joist. It all seems a bit much for 40mm. What are the consquences of
breaching the regs?

Does "Constructional hearth" mean something different than:
"the fireproof surface in front of the fireplace opening?
If not, why do you have to mess with the joist? can't
you just run over the top of it?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Griffo

If only it was that easy! The regs say that where the constructional
hearth is place on top of combustible material then it has to be 250mm
deep! It would put a big concrete platform in the middle of my lounge.
Good for karaoke but not nice to look at otherwise.