Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

Default Designated parking spaces at superstore

I found a refreshing use of designated parking spaces at a new Wickes
near me.

Instead of disabled and 'mother and baby' spaces near the doors, the
bays were actually marked up with icons of vans, and are designated
for van parking.

So I wonder, if i see a car parked there, and I have to park my van
amongst the 'normal' cars, can I go up to the car driver and give them
a dirty condescending look, or have a rant at them, and feel perfectly
justified?

Well done Wickes.

dg

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

"dg" wrote in message
oups.com...
I found a refreshing use of designated parking spaces at a new Wickes
near me.

Instead of disabled and 'mother and baby' spaces near the doors, the
bays were actually marked up with icons of vans, and are designated
for van parking.

So I wonder, if i see a car parked there, and I have to park my van
amongst the 'normal' cars, can I go up to the car driver and give them
a dirty condescending look, or have a rant at them, and feel perfectly
justified?

Well done Wickes.

dg

They should have BMW places at all stores - near the doors because BMW
drivers are arrogant and flaunt any rules

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-19 22:28:49 +0000, "dg" said:

I found a refreshing use of designated parking spaces at a new Wickes
near me.

Instead of disabled and 'mother and baby' spaces near the doors, the
bays were actually marked up with icons of vans, and are designated
for van parking.

So I wonder, if i see a car parked there, and I have to park my van
amongst the 'normal' cars, can I go up to the car driver and give them
a dirty condescending look, or have a rant at them, and feel perfectly
justified?

Well done Wickes.

dg

I guess that it will depend on whether mummy lets you out of your push chair or
makes you sit on the naughty step.

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 22:37:26 GMT, "John"
wrote:

"dg" wrote in message
roups.com...
I found a refreshing use of designated parking spaces at a new Wickes
near me.

Instead of disabled and 'mother and baby' spaces near the doors, the
bays were actually marked up with icons of vans, and are designated
for van parking.

So I wonder, if i see a car parked there, and I have to park my van
amongst the 'normal' cars, can I go up to the car driver and give them
a dirty condescending look, or have a rant at them, and feel perfectly
justified?

Well done Wickes.

dg

They should have BMW places at all stores - near the doors because BMW
drivers are arrogant and flaunt any rules

Audi drivers are worse.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-19 22:58:10 +0000, Frank Erskine
said:

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 22:37:26 GMT, "John"
wrote:

"dg" wrote in message
oups.com...
I found a refreshing use of designated parking spaces at a new Wickes
near me.

Instead of disabled and 'mother and baby' spaces near the doors, the
bays were actually marked up with icons of vans, and are designated
for van parking.

So I wonder, if i see a car parked there, and I have to park my van
amongst the 'normal' cars, can I go up to the car driver and give them
a dirty condescending look, or have a rant at them, and feel perfectly
justified?

Well done Wickes.

dg

They should have BMW places at all stores - near the doors because BMW
drivers are arrogant and flaunt any rules

Audi drivers are worse.

Yes but they are just fancy VWen; just like VWen are fancy Skodae.

Ask any driver in Italy - they know about rules. Traffic lights are
more of a policy thing.
They do give good hand signals as well, although I've never quite
understood which manoeuvre
is associated with the middle finger of the left hand.

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

dg wrote:
I found a refreshing use of designated parking spaces at a new Wickes
near me.

Instead of disabled and 'mother and baby' spaces near the doors, the
bays were actually marked up with icons of vans, and are designated
for van parking.

Great idea! I think they have spotted the move to Get Someone In after the
recent DIY boom. I heard somewhere that Wickes said their busy days used to
be Saturday with the DIY crowd & now it's Monday with tradesmen.

Well done Wickes.

Well done indeed. I'm getting to like Wickes more & more.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

In message , John
writes

"dg" wrote in message
roups.com...
I found a refreshing use of designated parking spaces at a new Wickes
near me.

Instead of disabled and 'mother and baby' spaces near the doors, the
bays were actually marked up with icons of vans, and are designated
for van parking.

So I wonder, if i see a car parked there, and I have to park my van
amongst the 'normal' cars, can I go up to the car driver and give them
a dirty condescending look, or have a rant at them, and feel perfectly
justified?

Well done Wickes.

dg

They should have BMW places at all stores - near the doors because BMW
drivers are arrogant and flaunt any rules

Not just BMWs. Last time I went to Wickes there was a WVM parked on the
road outside and partly blocking the entrance. In the car park was a 4x4
(Shogun-sized, can't remember exactly what) parked skewed and using
parts of four bays.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

They should have BMW places at all stores - near the doors because BMW
drivers are arrogant and flaunt any rules

What an idiotic thing to say.

(yes, I do drive a BMW)

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

"dg" wrote in message
oups.com...
I found a refreshing use of designated parking spaces at a new Wickes
near me.

Instead of disabled and 'mother and baby' spaces near the doors, the
bays were actually marked up with icons of vans, and are designated
for van parking.

So I wonder, if i see a car parked there, and I have to park my van
amongst the 'normal' cars, can I go up to the car driver and give them
a dirty condescending look, or have a rant at them, and feel perfectly
justified?

No it means you can't park untill there is a free space wit a van logo.
If you do so and there is an accident then you have breached the H&S laws by
not using an appropriate bay and will face bankrupcy and a jail term.

Well done Wickes.

Yes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:03:12 +0000, Grunff wrote:

They should have BMW places at all stores - near the doors because BMW
drivers are arrogant and flaunt any rules

What an idiotic thing to say.

(yes, I do drive a BMW)

And wear a hat? Or have a hat on the rear parcel shelf?

Beware volvos with hat wearers...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Dave Liquorice wrote:

And wear a hat? Or have a hat on the rear parcel shelf?

When it's cold, I sometimes wear a fleece hat. I keep my parcel shelf clear.

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

They should have BMW places at all stores - near the doors because BMW
drivers are arrogant and flaunt any rules

They do at most places. The double yellow lines is what BMW drivers
believe means they can right to park.
--
Free Christmas Cards
http://www.christmasfreebies.co.uk/christmas-cards.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:03:12 +0000, Grunff wrote:

They should have BMW places at all stores - near the doors because BMW
drivers are arrogant and flaunt any rules

What an idiotic thing to say.

(yes, I do drive a BMW)

And wear a hat? Or have a hat on the rear parcel shelf?

Beware volvos with hat wearers...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Beware any vehicle driven by hat wearers ... particularly those yoof's with
baseball caps up backwards!

--

Brian

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y John wrote:

"dg" wrote in message
oups.com...
I found a refreshing use of designated parking spaces at a new Wickes
near me.

Instead of disabled and 'mother and baby' spaces near the doors, the
bays were actually marked up with icons of vans, and are designated
for van parking.

So I wonder, if i see a car parked there, and I have to park my van
amongst the 'normal' cars, can I go up to the car driver and give them
a dirty condescending look, or have a rant at them, and feel perfectly
justified?

Well done Wickes.

dg

They should have BMW places at all stores - near the doors because BMW
drivers are arrogant and flaunt any rules

.... or even flout the rules.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:51:49 UTC, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:03:12 +0000, Grunff wrote:

They should have BMW places at all stores - near the doors because BMW
drivers are arrogant and flaunt any rules

What an idiotic thing to say.

(yes, I do drive a BMW)

And wear a hat? Or have a hat on the rear parcel shelf?

Beware volvos with hat wearers...

Trilby hat wearers are the worst...

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

"Grunff" wrote in message
John wrote:

They should have BMW places at all stores - near the doors because BMW
drivers are arrogant and flaunt any rules

What an idiotic thing to say.

(yes, I do drive a BMW)

We already knew that

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

"dg" wrote in message
oups.com...
I found a refreshing use of designated parking spaces at a new Wickes
near me.

Instead of disabled and 'mother and baby' spaces near the doors, the
bays were actually marked up with icons of vans, and are designated
for van parking.

So I wonder, if i see a car parked there, and I have to park my van
amongst the 'normal' cars, can I go up to the car driver and give them
a dirty condescending look, or have a rant at them, and feel perfectly
justified?

Well done Wickes.

Whilst I think this is an excellent idea its a pity they don't make all
parking bays larger, rather like the local Costo. Given the bulky nature of
a lot of their sales you need more room around you to avoid damaging other
cars.

David - Milton Keynes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" typed

wrote:

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:03:12 +0000, Grunff wrote:

They should have BMW places at all stores - near the doors because BMW
drivers are arrogant and flaunt any rules

What an idiotic thing to say.

(yes, I do drive a BMW)

And wear a hat? Or have a hat on the rear parcel shelf?

Beware volvos with hat wearers...

Trilby hat wearers are the worst...

I haven't noticed a profusion of orthodox Jews at my local Wickes...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 14:28:49 -0800, dg wrote:
Instead of disabled and 'mother and baby' spaces near the doors, the
bays were actually marked up with icons of vans, and are designated
for van parking.

Surely these spaces are to protect the normal folk from white van men?

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

On Feb 20, 3:54 pm, Tommy wrote:
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 14:28:49 -0800, dg wrote:

Surely these spaces are to protect the normal folk from white van men?

I'm going to have to watch these closely to see whether how many BMW/
Audi/Merc drivers park their blingwagens in the spaces reserved for
the battered once-white vans driven by stout builders.

Do they just park in the disabled spaces where the OAPs won't say
anything to them?

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

They should have BMW places at all stores - near the doors because BMW
drivers are arrogant and flaunt any rules

What an idiotic thing to say.

(yes, I do drive a BMW)

Pimp or drug baron or cop?
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

AlanG wrote:

Pimp or drug baron or cop?

Typical anti-BMW prejudice. I'm just someone who loves good engineering,
and enjoys driving. I like working on my own cars, and for this BMWs are
great.

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
AlanG wrote:

Pimp or drug baron or cop?

Typical anti-BMW prejudice. I'm just someone who loves good
engineering, and enjoys driving. I like working on my own cars, and
for this BMWs are great.

Surely if the engineering is good then there shouldn't be any need to work
on them, apart from routine maintenance?

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

Brimstone wrote:

Surely if the engineering is good then there shouldn't be any need to work
on them, apart from routine maintenance?

Routine maintenance, and repairs when they get older. Mechanical
components wear out, regardless of how well engineered something is.

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 16:28:50 +0000, Grunff wrote:

AlanG wrote:

Pimp or drug baron or cop?

Typical anti-BMW prejudice. I'm just someone who loves good engineering,
and enjoys driving. I like working on my own cars, and for this BMWs are
great.

Actually I had a 4 yr old car with 20000 miles on the clock and I was
due to start a new job after being made redundant at 49 yrs old.

Guess what make of car it was that did a hit and run on mine while it
was stood outside my front door.

Couldn't get to the new job so lost it and the car was a write off and
I was only TPFT cos I'd cut the insurance until I found out what my
new financial situation was. Never had a full time job again and every
car I've owned since then has been over 10 yrs old.

Yes. You could say I'm prejudiced against BMW drivers just a teeny
bit. I know its irrational but...

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
AlanG wrote:

Pimp or drug baron or cop?

Typical anti-BMW prejudice. I'm just someone who loves good engineering,
and enjoys driving. I like working on my own cars, and for this BMWs are
great.

You need a rear window sticker proclaiming "I'm not like all the *other*
BMW drivers!".

Sadly round here (NW London), cars are purchased (more like
hire-purchased) for the bling factor.

They look great but not properly serviced or even driven. Some of the
elderly female asian drivers can barely see over the steering wheel of
their son's Mercedes supercharged 'kompressor' when driving it to the
supermarket to look down at the other shoppers.

But I reckon dogs are the reason for the most damage of the environment.
Two adults and two children are fine in a normal family sized car. The
family buys a dog - and suddenly a gas guzzeling 4x4 or MPV is required.

Why? :-(

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

"dg" wrote in message
oups.com...
I found a refreshing use of designated parking spaces at a new Wickes
near me.

Instead of disabled and 'mother and baby' spaces near the doors, the
bays were actually marked up with icons of vans, and are designated
for van parking.

So I wonder, if i see a car parked there, and I have to park my van
amongst the 'normal' cars, can I go up to the car driver and give them
a dirty condescending look, or have a rant at them, and feel perfectly
justified?

Well done Wickes.

Now all they have to do is stock the products I want, which they never seem
to have when I go in looking for things I would expect to find, like the
right size of wood screw last week.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 20 Feb, 19:51, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname
here.uk.com wrote:
"dg" wrote in message

oups.com...

I found a refreshing use of designated parking spaces at a new Wickes
near me.

Instead of disabled and 'mother and baby' spaces near the doors, the
bays were actually marked up with icons of vans, and are designated
for van parking.

So I wonder, if i see a car parked there, and I have to park my van
amongst the 'normal' cars, can I go up to the car driver and give them
a dirty condescending look, or have a rant at them, and feel perfectly
justified?

Well done Wickes.

Now all they have to do is stock the products I want, which they never seem
to have when I go in looking for things I would expect to find, like the
right size of wood screw last week.

Colin Bignell

The one I went to was a new "extra" store and its more for the basics
of building/DIY rather than the pretty little shelf fillers for the
numpty weekend wonders. Massive, well stocked and well thought out.
But I agree that the range is relatively limited - but not to worry,
there is a Screwfix counter not far away.

Generally everything was as cheap or cheaper than many trade on
merchants I use.

But my best find, is that if you have a Paslode nail gun (first fix)
this store sells Hitachi nails for this, and they are HALF the price
of equivalent Paslode nails - not including the gas though, but still
dead cheap.

dg

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

In message , Owain
writes
Andy Hall wrote:
Ask any driver in Italy - they know about rules. Traffic lights
are more of a policy thing.
They do give good hand signals as well, although I've never quite
understood which manoeuvre
is associated with the middle finger of the left hand.

"I am in the middle of the road and there are two cars on each side of me"

I never let things like that bother me when I lived in Italy

.... maybe why most Italians were scared to drive with me

--
geoff
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

In message , Grunff
writes
John wrote:

They should have BMW places at all stores - near the doors because
BMW drivers are arrogant and flaunt any rules

What an idiotic thing to say.

(yes, I do drive a BMW)

Me too,

I wouldn't mind a reserved parking space close to the entrance, for
whatever reason

.... If I ever did the shopping, that is

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes
"Bob Eager" typed

wrote:

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:03:12 +0000, Grunff wrote:

They should have BMW places at all stores - near the doors because BMW
drivers are arrogant and flaunt any rules

What an idiotic thing to say.

(yes, I do drive a BMW)

And wear a hat? Or have a hat on the rear parcel shelf?

Beware volvos with hat wearers...

Trilby hat wearers are the worst...

I haven't noticed a profusion of orthodox Jews at my local Wickes...

D-I-Y wailing walls - 20% discount, one week only

--
geoff
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

Grunff ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

Pimp or drug baron or cop?

Typical anti-BMW prejudice.

But it gets a bite every time...
"We laugh because it's true"

I'm just someone who loves good engineering, and enjoys driving.

thinks back to 2xE36 Co.Cars and several other BMWs driven around same
era

Ummm... So *why* drive a BMW? Massively underwhelming, imho.
But that's for another place.
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

thinks back to 2xE36 Co.Cars and several other BMWs driven around same
era

Ummm... So *why* drive a BMW? Massively underwhelming, imho.
But that's for another place.

The e36 is an awful, awful car - possibly the worst bmw ever, certainly
the worst I've driven. Reliable enough, but neither fun to drive nor a
good cruiser.

If you want fun to drive, you want an e30 325i. If you're after a
cruiser, an e39, 528i or 540i.

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 2007-02-20 10:20:03 +0000, Grunff said:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

And wear a hat? Or have a hat on the rear parcel shelf?

When it's cold, I sometimes wear a fleece hat. I keep my parcel shelf clear.

What about that nodding dog with the eyes that light up when the brake
lights come on? ;-)

Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-20 17:40:07 +0000, Adrian C said:

But I reckon dogs are the reason for the most damage of the
environment. Two adults and two children are fine in a normal family
sized car. The family buys a dog - and suddenly a gas guzzeling 4x4 or
MPV is required.

Why? :-(

Well, how else are you going to deal with a slobberador who feels duty
bound to wash the car windows on the inside?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Andy Hall wrote:

What about that nodding dog with the eyes that light up when the brake
lights come on? ;-)

That might go better in our other car, a 4.0 litre Jeep Wrangler.

(bring on the anti 4x4 comments)

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Grunff wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

What about that nodding dog with the eyes that light up when the brake
lights come on? ;-)

That might go better in our other car, a 4.0 litre Jeep Wrangler.

(bring on the anti 4x4 comments)

I would love a suburban - there are loads now being imported and I
really did enjoy having one, overseas. Unfortunately my granite gate
posts would love one too. The clearance would be less than 2 inches..
There is a joke or two there. But, enjoy your Wrangler whilst you can...

--
Sue

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Palindrome wrote:

I would love a suburban - there are loads now being imported and I
really did enjoy having one, overseas. Unfortunately my granite gate
posts would love one too. The clearance would be less than 2 inches..
There is a joke or two there. But, enjoy your Wrangler whilst you can...

The great thing about the Wrangler is that it's tiny - it's 2 foot
shorter than a Ford Focus, and nearly a foot narrower.

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
On Adrian C said:

The family buys a dog - and suddenly a gas guzzeling 4x4 or
MPV is required.

Why? :-(

Well, how else are you going to deal with a slobberador who feels duty
bound to wash the car windows on the inside?

Training, Restraint - or lash a kennal to the roof rack. Dunno, some
folks have coped with normal size family estate cars for this sort of thing.

Great thing with a 'slobberador' if you can get it used to a diet
including washing up liquid, you could spray the outside of the car with
a 'dognip' compound - and get it licked really clean.

Hmmm.... Opps... Reality slipping...

Now, where did I put my tablets?

:-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

On Feb 20, 8:39 am, Peter Twydell wrote:
In message , John
writes

"dg" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Ying tong iddle-i po!- Hide quoted text -

http://www.epinions.com/content_960077956