Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central Heating Pump

The church heating is not working today (groan) and it appears that the
pump is not circulating the water. On trying to take the cover off the
pump spindle (to check it is free) water spurts out (and it was hot
because the boilers were working!). It is a pressurised system, but is
it normal for water to come out of the pump spindle?

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John writes:
The church heating is not working today (groan) and it appears that the
pump is not circulating the water. On trying to take the cover off the
pump spindle (to check it is free) water spurts out (and it was hot
because the boilers were working!). It is a pressurised system, but is
it normal for water to come out of the pump spindle?

Yes, it's used to bleed air out of the pump in some cases.
Doesn't usually come out very fast. The water also forms
the rotor bearing in most designs.

A good clue for pump not working is that the pump body is
hot, but the pipework isn't. Note that pump might not be
working even if the rotor is spinning -- sometimes all the
impeller blades wear away.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
John writes:
The church heating is not working today (groan) and it appears that the
pump is not circulating the water. On trying to take the cover off the
pump spindle (to check it is free) water spurts out (and it was hot
because the boilers were working!). It is a pressurised system, but is
it normal for water to come out of the pump spindle?

Yes, it's used to bleed air out of the pump in some cases.
Doesn't usually come out very fast. The water also forms
the rotor bearing in most designs.

A good clue for pump not working is that the pump body is
hot, but the pipework isn't. Note that pump might not be
working even if the rotor is spinning -- sometimes all the
impeller blades wear away.

The water spurts out pretty fast!

The pump sounds like it may be working but most of the pipework is cold
except those parts where convection could be providing some heat.

Time for the engineer! :-(
--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 18, 12:39 pm, John wrote:

The water spurts out pretty fast!

The pump sounds like it may be working but most of the pipework is cold
except those parts where convection could be providing some heat.

Time for the engineer! :-(

Might it be that the pump rotor has seized? I'd switch off pump &
boiler, shut isolating valves before & after the pump. Remove cap at
the middle of the pump and spin the rotor with a small screwdriver.
Ensure it revolves freely. They are usually canned rotor/glandless
pumps and the clearance between can & rotor is small, so they often
get stuck by small bits of debris. Spinning it will often free it up.

Open valves, pump power on, check rotor is spinning, replace cap,
boiler power on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com, Aidan
writes
On Feb 18, 12:39 pm, John wrote:

The water spurts out pretty fast!

The pump sounds like it may be working but most of the pipework is cold
except those parts where convection could be providing some heat.

Time for the engineer! :-(

Might it be that the pump rotor has seized? I'd switch off pump &
boiler, shut isolating valves before & after the pump. Remove cap at
the middle of the pump and spin the rotor with a small screwdriver.
Ensure it revolves freely. They are usually canned rotor/glandless
pumps and the clearance between can & rotor is small, so they often
get stuck by small bits of debris. Spinning it will often free it up.

Open valves, pump power on, check rotor is spinning, replace cap,
boiler power on.

Minor problem is that there are no valves either side of the pump!
However, I might go down this afternoon and see whether I can isolate a
small enough part of the system to allow me to release the pressure...

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Feb, 12:15, John wrote:
The church heating is not working today (groan) and it appears that the
pump is not circulating the water. On trying to take the cover off the
pump spindle (to check it is free) water spurts out (and it was hot
because the boilers were working!). It is a pressurised system, but is
it normal for water to come out of the pump spindle?

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail

I noticed our radiators were not getting as hot downstairs as they
used to. The pump was running and was set on the minimum speed of 3
settings. I turned the pump up to max and left it running for 5
minutes before resetting to it's original setting after which the
radiators heated OK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:25:19 +0000, John mused:

Minor problem is that there are no valves either side of the pump!
However, I might go down this afternoon and see whether I can isolate a
small enough part of the system to allow me to release the pressure...

Just spin the pump then. I've not isolated one yet before taking the
centre cap out and spinning it.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-18 13:26:43 +0000, (Andrew
Gabriel) said:

Nice for the church to get a reply from A Gabriel...

I think they really wanted a miricle...

Don't you do those on Sundays? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:25:19 +0000, John wrote:

Minor problem is that there are no valves either side of the pump!

Are you sure? The valves are usually built into the flanges that connect
the pump into the pipe work. Somewhere on each brass flange there should be
what looks like a small slotted screw. This is shaft of the ball valve in
each flange. Turn each 90 degrees using a screw driver to isolate the pump.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 14:11:13 +0000, Steve Firth
mused:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:25:19 +0000, John wrote:

Minor problem is that there are no valves either side of the pump!

Are you sure? The valves are usually built into the flanges that connect
the pump into the pipe work. Somewhere on each brass flange there should be
what looks like a small slotted screw. This is shaft of the ball valve in
each flange. Turn each 90 degrees using a screw driver to isolate the pump.

You can get pump flanges with no valves built in, uncommon, but not
unheard of.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lurch
writes
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 14:11:13 +0000, Steve Firth
mused:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:25:19 +0000, John wrote:

Minor problem is that there are no valves either side of the pump!

Are you sure? The valves are usually built into the flanges that connect
the pump into the pipe work. Somewhere on each brass flange there should be
what looks like a small slotted screw. This is shaft of the ball valve in
each flange. Turn each 90 degrees using a screw driver to isolate the pump.

You can get pump flanges with no valves built in, uncommon, but not
unheard of.

This is a large pump which goes onto about 40mm pipe with bolted glands
- I couldn't see a valve.

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:11:43 +0000, Lurch wrote:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 14:11:13 +0000, Steve Firth
mused:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:25:19 +0000, John wrote:

Minor problem is that there are no valves either side of the pump!

Are you sure? The valves are usually built into the flanges that connect
the pump into the pipe work. Somewhere on each brass flange there should be
what looks like a small slotted screw. This is shaft of the ball valve in
each flange. Turn each 90 degrees using a screw driver to isolate the pump.

You can get pump flanges with no valves built in, uncommon, but not
unheard of.

Yes, I realise, hence "are you sure?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:39:54 +0000, Steve Firth
mused:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:11:43 +0000, Lurch wrote:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 14:11:13 +0000, Steve Firth
mused:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:25:19 +0000, John wrote:

Minor problem is that there are no valves either side of the pump!

Are you sure? The valves are usually built into the flanges that connect
the pump into the pipe work. Somewhere on each brass flange there should be
what looks like a small slotted screw. This is shaft of the ball valve in
each flange. Turn each 90 degrees using a screw driver to isolate the pump.

You can get pump flanges with no valves built in, uncommon, but not
unheard of.

Yes, I realise, hence "are you sure?"

Just clarifying.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:21:33 +0000 someone who may be John
wrote this:-

This is a large pump which goes onto about 40mm pipe with bolted glands
- I couldn't see a valve.

Then get some fitted. Saves time and water treatment chemicals when
the pump is replaced (which is generally more frequently than the
pipework).

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

This is a large pump which goes onto about 40mm pipe with bolted glands
- I couldn't see a valve.

Then get some fitted.

On 40mm threaded steel pipework?!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Stumbles
writes

wrote this:-

This is a large pump which goes onto about 40mm pipe with bolted glands
- I couldn't see a valve.

Then get some fitted.

On 40mm threaded steel pipework?!

Copper actually - but yes it would be a good idea to get some valves
fitted!

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-19 18:48:08 +0000, John said:

In article , John Stumbles
writes

wrote this:-

This is a large pump which goes onto about 40mm pipe with bolted glands
- I couldn't see a valve.

Then get some fitted.

On 40mm threaded steel pipework?!

Copper actually - but yes it would be a good idea to get some valves
fitted!

Did the engineer visit?

How about the angel Gabriel?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-02-19 18:48:08 +0000, John said:

In article , John Stumbles
writes

wrote this:-

This is a large pump which goes onto about 40mm pipe with bolted glands
- I couldn't see a valve.

Then get some fitted.

On 40mm threaded steel pipework?!

Copper actually - but yes it would be a good idea to get some valves
fitted!

Did the engineer visit?

How about the angel Gabriel?

The engineer has yet to descend with his harp and angel wings - I will
let you know the outcome!
--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-02-19 18:48:08 +0000, John said:

In article , John Stumbles
writes

wrote this:-

This is a large pump which goes onto about 40mm pipe with bolted glands
- I couldn't see a valve.

Then get some fitted.

On 40mm threaded steel pipework?!

Copper actually - but yes it would be a good idea to get some valves
fitted!

Did the engineer visit?

How about the angel Gabriel?

The engineer has yet to descend with his harp and angel wings - I will
let you know the outcome!

I don't know - can't get the staff these days :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
writes
In article , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-02-19 18:48:08 +0000, John said:

In article , John Stumbles
writes

wrote this:-

This is a large pump which goes onto about 40mm pipe with bolted glands
- I couldn't see a valve.

Then get some fitted.

On 40mm threaded steel pipework?!

Copper actually - but yes it would be a good idea to get some valves
fitted!

Did the engineer visit?

How about the angel Gabriel?

The engineer has yet to descend with his harp and angel wings - I will
let you know the outcome!

No progress yet (although a careful look at the pipework shows that the
pump can be isolated by closing four valves (two on each side - there
are two boilers with their own isolating valves and two rings with their
valves).

Anyway, the home boiler has come out in sympathy! It is an old Potterton
80 and the fan starts but it fails to try and ignite. I have cleaned the
fan and blown through the tubes to the air pressure switch but after a
period of intermittent firing it is now sulking big time!

Is it possible for the fan to get slower (i.e. not create sufficient
draft) so that the APS will not detect sufficient change of pressure? Is
it more likely the APS has finally given up the ghost?

Ho hum shiver!

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:08:22 +0000, John wrote:

In article , John
writes
In article , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-02-19 18:48:08 +0000, John said:

In article , John Stumbles
writes

wrote this:-

[...]

Yes the bearings can get sticky and slow the fan down.
You can check the APS by blowing _very_ gently into the correct tube.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:08:22 +0000, John wrote:

Anyway, the home boiler has come out in sympathy! It is an old Potterton
80 and the fan starts but it fails to try and ignite. I have cleaned the
fan and blown through the tubes to the air pressure switch but after a
period of intermittent firing it is now sulking big time!

Is it possible for the fan to get slower (i.e. not create sufficient
draft) so that the APS will not detect sufficient change of pressure? Is
it more likely the APS has finally given up the ghost?

If the fan's running at all it's propably OK. It the pressure switch isn't
clicking over check the plastic tubes: they can split.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Stumbles
writes
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:08:22 +0000, John wrote:

Anyway, the home boiler has come out in sympathy! It is an old Potterton
80 and the fan starts but it fails to try and ignite. I have cleaned the
fan and blown through the tubes to the air pressure switch but after a
period of intermittent firing it is now sulking big time!

Is it possible for the fan to get slower (i.e. not create sufficient
draft) so that the APS will not detect sufficient change of pressure? Is
it more likely the APS has finally given up the ghost?

If the fan's running at all it's propably OK. It the pressure switch isn't
clicking over check the plastic tubes: they can split.

Just to make it more confusing, it has stopped sulking and is working
again - that is partly what makes me think it is the fan running slow.

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:33:40 +0000, me9 wrote:

On 22 Feb,
John wrote:

In article , John Stumbles
writes
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:08:22 +0000, John wrote:

Anyway, the home boiler has come out in sympathy! It is an old Potterton
80 and the fan starts but it fails to try and ignite. I have cleaned the
fan and blown through the tubes to the air pressure switch but after a
period of intermittent firing it is now sulking big time!

Is it possible for the fan to get slower (i.e. not create sufficient
draft) so that the APS will not detect sufficient change of pressure? Is
it more likely the APS has finally given up the ghost?

If the fan's running at all it's propably OK. It the pressure switch isn't
clicking over check the plastic tubes: they can split.

Just to make it more confusing, it has stopped sulking and is working
again - that is partly what makes me think it is the fan running slow.

Does the fan spin freely? if not clean and lube the bearings. That is the
usual cause of slow running fans.

That is also a _lot_ easier to say than to do. Most of the bearings are
very inaccessible within the fan unit, and any lube that can be got in
tends not to work for very long.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Ed Sirett
writes
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:33:40 +0000, me9 wrote:

On 22 Feb,
John wrote:

In article , John Stumbles
writes
[...]

I will take the fan out at the weekend and have a good look - when I
gave it a brief check there did appear to be some lubricant around one
of the bearings and attendant fluff.

Fingers crossed it seems to be running OK at the moment - I half
wondered whether the direction of the wind (across the outlet) could
cause pressure/flow fluctuations.

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail

Central heating pump - help MattH UK diy 13 November 23rd 05 08:35 PM
Central Heating Pump MattH UK diy 3 September 23rd 05 04:41 PM
Several things wrong with new flat - no central heating, low hot water pressure even with water pump, noisey pump kiich UK diy 69 July 13th 05 07:36 PM
Central heating pump help please John Orrett UK diy 10 March 23rd 05 09:57 PM
Central Heating pump? Mark UK diy 3 August 30th 04 06:07 PM