Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wire Rope Locks

Anyone know where I can get a wire rope type lock - sort of thing used for
bicycles - but longer.

I've seen plenty 1.8m long, but I need 2.5m min. Can't really be arsed to
make up a wire rope & use a padlock.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a wire rope type lock - sort of thing
used for bicycles - but longer.

I've seen plenty 1.8m long, but I need 2.5m min. Can't really be
arsed to make up a wire rope & use a padlock.

Why not use a wire rope sling used on lifting gear? Then all you have
to do is add a padlock to the loops.

A list of suppliers can be found here,

http://www.kellysearch.co.uk/gb-product-105220.html

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 09:54, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a wire rope type lock - sort of thing used for
bicycles - but longer.

I make mine, by silver-soldering ends on to exactly the length I
need. Having exactly the right length (i.e. no free loops) makes them
rather more secure. Even then they're not up to a high-security task.

Plastic sheathed chain is much more secure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Anyone know where I can get a wire rope type lock - sort of thing used for
bicycles - but longer.

I've seen plenty 1.8m long, but I need 2.5m min. Can't really be arsed to
make up a wire rope & use a padlock.

Is this to secure the ladders on the van, Dave ?

Dave
--
Foot Massage @ Home
Luxurious, indulgent massage in Worcestershire
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Screwfix sell (sold) them. I bought one to fasten my trailer
to the BFO tree next to it.

[Clickety, clickety, click]

There you go. 9M braided security cable with loops.

Exactly what I want - almost :-)

12mm cables much too big :-(

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don Spumey wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a wire rope type lock - sort of thing
used for bicycles - but longer.

I've seen plenty 1.8m long, but I need 2.5m min. Can't really be
arsed to make up a wire rope & use a padlock.

Why not use a wire rope sling used on lifting gear? Then all you have
to do is add a padlock to the loops.

A list of suppliers can be found here,

Thanks Don, but I should have specified the size! I'm looking for thin wire
maybe 2mm?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Anyone know where I can get a wire rope type lock - sort of thing used for
bicycles - but longer.

There must be a chandlers near you - drop in and ask them to swage
thimble loops on the end of a bit of wire rope they'll also supply you
with.
Thread it through some plastic pipe first if it isn't already plastic coated.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Anyone know where I can get a wire rope type lock - sort of thing
used for bicycles - but longer.

There must be a chandlers near you -

BULB LIGHTS ABOVE HEAD

Thanks!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There must be a chandlers near you - drop in and ask them to swage
thimble loops on the end of a bit of wire rope they'll also supply you
with.
Thread it through some plastic pipe first if it isn't already plastic
coated.

--
Skipweasel

I was going to suggest that too. For other country dwellers, Countrywide and
other farm shops often keep a range of smaller wire rope, plus the eyes and
swage fittings which you can clamp up with a mole or a big vice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

There must be a chandlers near you -

BULB LIGHTS ABOVE HEAD

Ah, this'll tickle you. I got a spam a while ago from a Mediterranean
food company, plugging food prepared "The Mediterrean way" whose website
was www.themedway.something and their tagline was "Taste the medway".

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 16:36:37 -0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Thanks Don, but I should have specified the size! I'm looking for thin
wire maybe 2mm?

Is that going to slow the tea leaves down much? Make sure your own bolt
cutters or similar are not sitting on a van shelf or in an insecure
box...

I think you intend to thread this through the handles of power tool
boxes. One cut and they have all of 'em. Might be better to have shorter
individual loops. They then have to cut each one, which takes time. You
are also much more likely to put the single loop back on when you return
a tool to the van than thread/unthread through the handles each time.
Visit a proper locksmith to get a number of padlocks with the same key
profile so you don't have to have a huge bunch of keys.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 16:36:37 -0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Thanks Don, but I should have specified the size! I'm looking for thin
wire maybe 2mm?

Is that going to slow the tea leaves down much? Make sure your own bolt
cutters or similar are not sitting on a van shelf or in an insecure
box...

The 12mm ones only take a minute with a carbide disk in a battery drill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a wire rope type lock - sort of thing used for
bicycles - but longer.

I've seen plenty 1.8m long, but I need 2.5m min. Can't really be arsed to
make up a wire rope & use a padlock.

I know from the other repsonses it's not what you're after, but (for
completeness) masterlock make (and B+Q sell) bike locks with a
replaceable cable - I've got 2 and 5m cables for mine.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hodges wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a wire rope type lock - sort of thing
used for bicycles - but longer.

I've seen plenty 1.8m long, but I need 2.5m min. Can't really be
arsed to make up a wire rope & use a padlock.

I know from the other repsonses it's not what you're after, but (for
completeness) masterlock make (and B+Q sell) bike locks with a
replaceable cable - I've got 2 and 5m cables for mine.

Not at all. What I want is a bike lock with a 5m cable. I could only find
1.8m Masterlock in my local B&Q Depot.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Chris Hodges wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Anyone know where I can get a wire rope type lock - sort of thing
used for bicycles - but longer.

I've seen plenty 1.8m long, but I need 2.5m min. Can't really be
arsed to make up a wire rope & use a padlock.

I know from the other repsonses it's not what you're after, but (for
completeness) masterlock make (and B+Q sell) bike locks with a
replaceable cable - I've got 2 and 5m cables for mine.

Not at all. What I want is a bike lock with a 5m cable. I could only find
1.8m Masterlock in my local B&Q Depot.

mine's about 10mm thick - hence the "not what you're after".

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Not at all. What I want is a bike lock with a 5m cable. I could only find
1.8m Masterlock in my local B&Q Depot.

I found a 4.5 ish (might even be 5)metre cable with weather-proof
padlock in our local Homebase. £15

Ideal for locking my trailer to a handy tree and a far better solution
than the rubbish bit of chain I had before.

Cable is about 8mm plastic coated and coils up pretty small.

http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
http://trade-price-supplements.co.uk - Bulk Order Supps. at Trade Prices