Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central heating spares kit

Does it make sense to keep a kit of spares for the most common central
heating system faults? If so what spares (or is this question too
system-dependent to have an answer)?

I assume boiler spares are included (such as the thermostat?) so that
a competent/qualified repairer can be given the bits if he hasn't got
them immediately to hand.

--
John Phillips
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Phillips wrote:

Does it make sense to keep a kit of spares for the most common central
heating system faults? If so what spares (or is this question too
system-dependent to have an answer)?

I assume boiler spares are included (such as the thermostat?) so that
a competent/qualified repairer can be given the bits if he hasn't got
them immediately to hand.

There are quite a few bits in a boiler and chances are that you'll not have
the *right* bits when it breaks. But things like thermostats, PCBs, fans (if
appropriate), thermocouples (if permanent pilot light), etc. just might be
useful.

For the rest of the system, you might consider keeping a spare pump and
motorised valve - or maybe just its actuator - or maybe just the motor and
microswitches if you like re-building actuators.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 14:15:47 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

John Phillips wrote:

Does it make sense to keep a kit of spares for the most common central
heating system faults? If so what spares (or is this question too
system-dependent to have an answer)?

I assume boiler spares are included (such as the thermostat?) so that
a competent/qualified repairer can be given the bits if he hasn't got
them immediately to hand.

There are quite a few bits in a boiler and chances are that you'll not have
the *right* bits when it breaks. But things like thermostats, PCBs, fans (if
appropriate), thermocouples (if permanent pilot light), etc. just might be
useful.

For the rest of the system, you might consider keeping a spare pump and
motorised valve - or maybe just its actuator - or maybe just the motor and
microswitches if you like re-building actuators.

In my van I try to keep:

A circulation pump.
A couple of "syncron" motors
A couple of thermocouples.
Fuses, wires and crimp connectors.

In my store is
A one channel programmer
A two channel programmer
A progstat.
A cylinder stat.
A wall stat
A 3 port valve
A 2 port valve

I have a lot of customers with Pott. Profiles so I keep the electronics
module for those. A lot of the rest have Vaillants so I have
VCW diverter valve,
VCW PCB set.

Turbo max + APS (these were something of a stock fault 2003-4)
Turbo max + Diverter valves (these fail on the earlier models).
Turbo max + 'sardine can' (for the models that like to cook chalk).

This latter would probably fit a large number of modern combis.

Mostly I have accquired these part by accident rather than design.

I have an ignition lead and electrode for my own Keston and a combustion
fan, courtesy of Keston 8-).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ed Sirett writes:

I have an ignition lead and electrode for my own Keston and a combustion
fan, courtesy of Keston 8-).

I have a couple of spare combustion chamber gaskets (I rather
doubt this can be opened and the old gasket reused, as it seems
to crack up), burner gasket (never needed to open that yet),
a couple of electrode gaskets, an electrode (waiting to be
fitted, but my repaired one is doing better than the original
one ever did, lighting first time, every time), and a new
semi-rigid exhaust hose (will swap out the concertina one
this summer).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-01, Roger Mills wrote:
John Phillips wrote:

Does it make sense to keep a kit of spares for the most common central
heating system faults? If so what spares (or is this question too
system-dependent to have an answer)?

I assume boiler spares are included (such as the thermostat?) so that
a competent/qualified repairer can be given the bits if he hasn't got
them immediately to hand.

There are quite a few bits in a boiler and chances are that you'll not have
the *right* bits when it breaks. But things like thermostats, PCBs, fans (if
appropriate), thermocouples (if permanent pilot light), etc. just might be
useful.

Useful points.

For the rest of the system, you might consider keeping a spare pump and
motorised valve - or maybe just its actuator - or maybe just the motor and
microswitches if you like re-building actuators.

I think the most-often diagnosed CH problem here on uk.diy seems to be
the dry part of a two-port or three-port valve. I was considering if
it might be worth the insurance of having a spare.

However I suspect the Honeywell mid-position valve I have is currently
very common and easy to find. And even though it looks like a common
fault this does not indicate that it's a fault that occurs often.
Should I assume they are rather reliable?

I have had one pump failure in 20-mumble years of running a CH system
and it took almost no time to locate a replacement in one of the DIY
sheds and fit it. Actually I do have a spare as I rescued a working
pump from the debris of a renovation. I am not sure I will ever have
the chance to use it, though.

--
John Phillips

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Phillips wrote:

I think the most-often diagnosed CH problem here on uk.diy seems to be
the dry part of a two-port or three-port valve. I was considering if
it might be worth the insurance of having a spare.

It's usually the 3-port valve which has the most devastating effect when it
goes wrong because it plays a very strategic role in the overall control
system. A spare actuator may not be a bad idea if you're worried about it
failing at an inconvenient time.

However I suspect the Honeywell mid-position valve I have is currently
very common and easy to find. And even though it looks like a common
fault this does not indicate that it's a fault that occurs often.
Should I assume they are rather reliable?

They last for several years, and usually start playing up before failing
completely.

I have had one pump failure in 20-mumble years of running a CH system
and it took almost no time to locate a replacement in one of the DIY
sheds and fit it. Actually I do have a spare as I rescued a working
pump from the debris of a renovation. I am not sure I will ever have
the chance to use it, though.

I've got a spare pump because my existing pump seemed to be getting a bit
noisy, and I thought it might fail, and bought a new one just in case. That
was over a year ago, and it's still going strong!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Phillips wrote:
Does it make sense to keep a kit of spares for the most common central
heating system faults? If so what spares (or is this question too
system-dependent to have an answer)?

Given a decent system shouldn't give trouble that often I'd say no - or
certainly not the expensive stuff. For a start, it could well be out of
warranty before it's needed.

I assume boiler spares are included (such as the thermostat?) so that
a competent/qualified repairer can be given the bits if he hasn't got
them immediately to hand.

Heating a house/water with an alternative for a couple of days until
spares arrive isn't going to be as expensive as keeping all the likely
things as spares - and sod's law will say the most expensive will never
get used - and not fit the replacement boiler you'll need after some years.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Phillips" wrote in message
Does it make sense to keep a kit of spares for the most common central
heating system faults? If so what spares (or is this question too
system-dependent to have an answer)?

I assume boiler spares are included (such as the thermostat?) so that
a competent/qualified repairer can be given the bits if he hasn't got
them immediately to hand.

--
John Phillips

I wish I had a spare fan! The central heating stopped working this morning.
I called BG and an engineer arrived 2 hours 15 mins later. Unfortunately it
needs a fan that cannot be got until Monday.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 18:00:42 +0000, Pinot Grigio wrote:

"John Phillips" wrote in message
Does it make sense to keep a kit of spares for the most common central
heating system faults? If so what spares (or is this question too
system-dependent to have an answer)?

I assume boiler spares are included (such as the thermostat?) so that
a competent/qualified repairer can be given the bits if he hasn't got
them immediately to hand.

--
John Phillips

I wish I had a spare fan! The central heating stopped working this morning.
I called BG and an engineer arrived 2 hours 15 mins later. Unfortunately it
needs a fan that cannot be got until Monday.

Couldn't he have squirted WD40 at the bearings to keep it going over the
w/e?