Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spotlights blowing fuse problem?

Hi Folks
About 2yrs ago I changed my bathroom lighting from 1 light to three
50watt GU10 spotlights each one daisy chained to the next. The second
of these lightbulbs has just gone (age or use?) when the pull switch
was turned on and both times the 5amp fuse went in the consumer unit.
Its one of the old wired types and so I will need to change to an MCB
type. My question is- is it normal for these bulbs to blow the 5amp
fuse when finally pack in??. I have just fitted another 6 (2x3) of
these spots can I expect the fuse to blow each time?.
Cheers
Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jan, 20:36, "Steve" wrote:
Hi Folks
About 2yrs ago I changed my bathroom lighting from 1 light to three
50watt GU10 spotlights each one daisy chained to the next. The second
of these lightbulbs has just gone (age or use?) when the pull switch
was turned on and both times the 5amp fuse went in the consumer unit.
Its one of the old wired types and so I will need to change to an MCB
type. My question is- is it normal for these bulbs to blow the 5amp
fuse when finally pack in??. I have just fitted another 6 (2x3) of
these spots can I expect the fuse to blow each time?.
Cheers
Steve

It's not unheard of. When they blow the gas can turn to plasma and
cause a short across what was the filament. They're supposed to have
built in fuses, but these rarely work.

As to whether it will happen every time - in my experience, yes. We
had some in our old house, and the quick fix was to install an mcb in
place of the cartridge fuse.

Cheers, Will

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 30, 9:05 pm, "Will" wrote:
On 30 Jan, 20:36, "Steve" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that Will I`ll do just that.
Cheers Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jan, 20:36, "Steve" wrote:

Hi Folks
About 2yrs ago I changed my bathroom lighting from 1 light to three
50watt GU10 spotlights each one daisy chained to the next. The second
of these lightbulbs has just gone (age or use?) when the pull switch
was turned on and both times the 5amp fuse went in the consumer unit.
Its one of the old wired types and so I will need to change to an MCB
type. My question is- is it normal for these bulbs to blow the 5amp
fuse when finally pack in??. I have just fitted another 6 (2x3) of
these spots can I expect the fuse to blow each time?.
Cheers
Steve

Mains halogens are more likely to do this than GLS bulbs. And youve
got 3 instead of 1.

MCBs are worse at this than fuses, you wont be doing yourself any
favour by putting an mcb in.

Simplest solution is lose the mains halogen lighting, and either put
low voltage halogen in, which is immune to this, or preferably
something better.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...logen_Lighting

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Hi Folks
About 2yrs ago I changed my bathroom lighting from 1 light to three
50watt GU10 spotlights each one daisy chained to the next. The second
of these lightbulbs has just gone (age or use?) when the pull switch
was turned on and both times the 5amp fuse went in the consumer unit.
Its one of the old wired types and so I will need to change to an MCB
type. My question is- is it normal for these bulbs to blow the 5amp
fuse when finally pack in??. I have just fitted another 6 (2x3) of
these spots can I expect the fuse to blow each time?.
Cheers
Steve

Its fairly normal for ANY (mains) bulb that blows in this house to trip
the relevant 6A MCB...

Strangely enough the LV spots NEVER do.