Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Steve is offline

Default Spotlights blowing fuse problem?

On Jan 30, 9:05 pm, "Will" wrote:
On 30 Jan, 20:36, "Steve" wrote:

Hi Folks
About 2yrs ago I changed my bathroom lighting from 1 light to three
50watt GU10 spotlights each one daisy chained to the next. The second
of these lightbulbs has just gone (age or use?) when the pull switch
was turned on and both times the 5amp fuse went in the consumer unit.
Its one of the old wired types and so I will need to change to an MCB
type. My question is- is it normal for these bulbs to blow the 5amp
fuse when finally pack in??. I have just fitted another 6 (2x3) of
these spots can I expect the fuse to blow each time?.
Cheers
Steve

It's not unheard of. When they blow the gas can turn to plasma and
cause a short across what was the filament. They're supposed to have
built in fuses, but these rarely work.

As to whether it will happen every time - in my experience, yes. We
had some in our old house, and the quick fix was to install an mcb in
place of the cartridge fuse.

Cheers, Will

Thanks for that Will I`ll do just that.
Cheers Steve