Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Baxi System Boiler - flame light flashes after 2 hours of running

I have a Baxi System 30/65 Boiler which is about 2 years old exactly.

In the past few days it has started mis-behaving.
It will run perfectly for about 1 to 2 hours, then it shutsdown and
the Flame light (first red LED) flashes on and off.

If I turn the dial to Reset and back it will run again for another 1
or 2 hours.

I had a look in the service manual and it says check condition/
position of flame sensor, which I did. Condition wise it looks OK, not
pitted or badly burned or anything. Can't comment on the position, it
appears to have the tip in the flame while it is running, but I don't
know what position it is supposed to be in. Can't imagine it has
moved.

What could be causing this? Any ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:07:33 -0800, kmillar wrote:

I have a Baxi System 30/65 Boiler which is about 2 years old exactly.

In the past few days it has started mis-behaving.
It will run perfectly for about 1 to 2 hours, then it shutsdown and
the Flame light (first red LED) flashes on and off.

If I turn the dial to Reset and back it will run again for another 1
or 2 hours.

I had a look in the service manual and it says check condition/
position of flame sensor, which I did. Condition wise it looks OK, not
pitted or badly burned or anything. Can't comment on the position, it
appears to have the tip in the flame while it is running, but I don't
know what position it is supposed to be in. Can't imagine it has
moved.

What could be causing this? Any ideas?

These are the really awkward jobs.
Try checking the flame sense lead for a problem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi and thanks for the reply.
I took your advice and checked the flame sensor lead. Could not detect
any problems.
I disconnected everything fromt the PCB, removed the PCB and carefully
checked it for dry joints etc - nothing found.

However here's the thing. I'd had the temperature dial at about 75%. I
turned the dial right round to max, and the problem has gone away.

I wonder if this then points to the gas modulator valve? If I'm
correct the system has the ability to modulate the flame between two
pressures - looks like the 'min' pressure might be too low, causing
the flame to go out. I think when the temp dial is at max it must not
be modulating the flame.

That's my theory anyway. Might be totally wrong.

-Kenny

On Jan 29, 7:36 pm, Ed Sirett wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:07:33 -0800, kmillar wrote:
I have a Baxi System 30/65 Boiler which is about 2 years old exactly.

In the past few days it has started mis-behaving.
It will run perfectly for about 1 to 2 hours, then it shutsdown and
the Flame light (first red LED) flashes on and off.

If I turn the dial to Reset and back it will run again for another 1
or 2 hours.

I had a look in the service manual and it says check condition/
position of flame sensor, which I did. Condition wise it looks OK, not
pitted or badly burned or anything. Can't comment on the position, it
appears to have the tip in the flame while it is running, but I don't
know what position it is supposed to be in. Can't imagine it has
moved.

What could be causing this? Any ideas?These are the really awkward jobs.

Try checking the flame sense lead for a problem?

The FAQ for uk.diy is athttp://www.diyfaq.org.uk
Sealed CH FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html
Choosing a Boiler FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html
Gas Fitting Standards Docs hehttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFittingStandards- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Flashes of Light on the Faith [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 13th 06 06:21 PM
Can a Baxi Platinum 24HE *System* Boiler be converted into a *Combi*? Chris Tomlinson UK diy 5 July 31st 06 01:22 PM
Epson Stylus C45 red and green light flashes alternatly. [email protected] Electronics Repair 4 June 18th 06 07:39 AM
BAXI BAHAMA NO FLAME spencer UK diy 1 March 3rd 06 08:20 PM
Baxi 'System' Boiler - pressure question kmillar UK diy 6 February 4th 05 04:35 PM