Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Distributors of surge protection equipment required

Slightly off topic;

I am looking for a supplier of good transient suppression equipment and a
overvoltage protection unit. My parents are living out in a rural part of
spain and are having problems with the mains killing electronic equipment.
Yes I do know of Farnell, but I was wondering if there was anywhere
cheaper?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Salisbury wrote:
Slightly off topic;

I am looking for a supplier of good transient suppression equipment and a
overvoltage protection unit. My parents are living out in a rural part of
spain and are having problems with the mains killing electronic equipment.
Yes I do know of Farnell, but I was wondering if there was anywhere
cheaper?

Ebuyer.co.uk - there are a number of vendors that do 'connected
equipment warranties' - if the equipment on it dies due to a spike, they
replace it the damaged equipment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Salisbury wrote:
Slightly off topic;

I am looking for a supplier of good transient suppression equipment and a
overvoltage protection unit. My parents are living out in a rural part of
spain and are having problems with the mains killing electronic equipment.
Yes I do know of Farnell, but I was wondering if there was anywhere
cheaper?

Thanks

I can think of two technologies that actually work. One is a UPS with
batteries where the mains charges the batteries and the batteries power
an invertor.

The other is a CVT - constant voltage transformer.

surge arrestors can only cope with short duration spikes - and most
electronic equipment with SMPS can cope with those anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Example of protectors for short duration transients:
http://www.keison.co.uk/furse/furse06.htm
http://www.keison.co.uk/furse/pdf/ma...lies/m2_m4.pdf
In each case, a short and dedicated earthing connection is essential
for proper operation. A dedicated earthing wire that must be even
separated from other wires so as to not induce transients onto those
other wires.

Overvoltage protectors, such as a UPS, only provide that function if
specifically stated. Most plug-in UPSes do not. Numerical
specifications must state, specifically, an operational voltage well
above 265 VAC. Most UPSes simply connect AC mains directly to the
computer; for example, would not protect from 280 volts. Any 230 volt
appliance will work just fine if voltage rises as high as 265.
Overvoltage protector state, with numbers, operation at even much
higher voltages. Else it does not provide overvoltage protection.

James Salisbury wrote:
I am looking for a supplier of good transient suppression equipment and a
overvoltage protection unit. My parents are living out in a rural part of
spain and are having problems with the mains killing electronic equipment.
Yes I do know of Farnell, but I was wondering if there was anywhere
cheaper?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 02:02:05 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

James Salisbury wrote:
Slightly off topic;

I am looking for a supplier of good transient suppression equipment and a
overvoltage protection unit. My parents are living out in a rural part of
spain and are having problems with the mains killing electronic equipment.
Yes I do know of Farnell, but I was wondering if there was anywhere
cheaper?

I can think of two technologies that actually work. One is a UPS with
batteries where the mains charges the batteries and the batteries power
an invertor.

What about a UPS which treats an overvoltage the same as an undervoltage
(i.e. switches to batteries on overvoltage)?
http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Salisbury wrote:

Slightly off topic;

I am looking for a supplier of good transient suppression equipment and a
overvoltage protection unit. My parents are living out in a rural part of
spain and are having problems with the mains killing electronic equipment.
Yes I do know of Farnell, but I was wondering if there was anywhere
cheaper?

Thanks

How do you know the problem is 'surges'? I ask because most times I
hear that, it actually isn't. Are you getting failures at lightning
strikes?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
James Salisbury wrote:

I am looking for a supplier of good transient suppression
equipment and a overvoltage protection unit. My parents are
living out in a rural part of spain and are having problems with
the mains killing electronic equipment.

See what Watford Control Instruments, have to suggest,
http://www.watfordcontrol.co.uk afair.

Not cheap, but your problem isn't cheap anyway.

--
Tony Williams.

surge protection Choreboy Electronics Repair 2 April 12th 05 03:35 AM
Is main panel surge protection worth it? Jeffrey J. Kosowsky Home Repair 11 October 28th 04 11:20 AM
Mains blocks with surge protection? Paul Hutchings UK diy 15 October 5th 04 07:12 AM
Surge protection? al UK diy 22 November 26th 03 02:14 AM
telephone extension, colour codes, surge protection. paul UK diy 3 July 19th 03 01:46 PM