Choreboy

Default surge protection

I have a whole-house surge protector in my breaker box and a plug-in
protector for my computer equipment. I was glad I had the plug-in unit
a few years ago when a surge during an ice storm wiped out my tv and my
stereo but not my computer equipment.

Somebody in another group keeps saying the numbers prove whole-house
protectors are important and all plug-in protectors are worthless.

I don't have information on the circuitry in various models of plug-in
protectors or figures on what protection they provide. Without
information I don't know what protection I would get for the price of a
given protector. Where can I find out more?
James Sweet

"Choreboy" wrote in message
I have a whole-house surge protector in my breaker box and a plug-in
protector for my computer equipment. I was glad I had the plug-in unit
a few years ago when a surge during an ice storm wiped out my tv and my
stereo but not my computer equipment.

Somebody in another group keeps saying the numbers prove whole-house
protectors are important and all plug-in protectors are worthless.

I don't have information on the circuitry in various models of plug-in
protectors or figures on what protection they provide. Without
information I don't know what protection I would get for the price of a
given protector. Where can I find out more?

Doesn't matter if it's plug in or whole house, some surge protectors are
worthless and some are decent, best to get one that comes with insurance.
Also don't forget other surge paths, cable and telephone lines, antennas,
that sort of thing.

Choreboy

James Sweet wrote:

"Choreboy" wrote in message
[...]

How do I know if insurance advertised on a box will pay off? I imagine
some ads are not to be trusted.

If an offer is legitimate, it's open to abuse, so how much would I have
to prove to make a claim? As quickly as computer equipment depreciates,
surge damage could still be a big setback.

It would be assuring to know statistically how well different models
protected owners and how much electrical protection different designs provided.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Is main panel surge protection worth it? Jeffrey J. Kosowsky Home Repair 11 October 28th 04 11:20 AM
Mains blocks with surge protection? Paul Hutchings UK diy 15 October 5th 04 07:12 AM
Surge protection? al UK diy 22 November 26th 03 02:14 AM
telephone extension, colour codes, surge protection. paul UK diy 3 July 19th 03 01:46 PM